Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: ASUS RT-N66U - Port forwarding question.  (Read 3060 times)

Bowdon

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
ASUS RT-N66U - Port forwarding question.
« on: February 03, 2016, 12:13:59 PM »

I'm planning on adding some more ports to be open for a game I've been playing (GTA 5). I've noticed that a couple of ports that I already have open for other games, like ports 80 and 443 are already there.

The problem is that when entering the details in to the port forwarding section of the router it seems to want me to assign a local ip that the traffic will be directed to.

The problem is, with a limit of 32(?) entries in to the port forwarding table I see it as a bit of a waste having double entries for the same ports, i.e one directing to my pc and the other directing to my ps4.

I've tried leaving the Local IP section blank, but it won't accept it. I've tried using * but it won't let me type the *. So am I left with writing double entries or is there anyone way to all applications to be used by all devices on the network?
BT Full Fibre 500 - Smart Hub 2

d2d4j

• Kitizen
Re: ASUS RT-N66U - Port forwarding question.
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2016, 12:33:02 PM »

Hi

Gta5, very popular and an excellent game

You cannot port forward a port to more then 1 local device for 1 external IP address

If you do add more then 1 port entry into table, the first one will take precedence

You need to just open the port in the firewall section for in/out on TCP, and this opens the port to all.

Please go careful opening ports in firewall, and understand the consequences of opening them

I hope that helps

Many thanks

John

d2d4j

• Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2016, 01:07:46 PM »

Hi

Just a thought, as your a gamer, you may find it beneficial to turn on UPnP, which should help the ps4 play games better online

Many thanks

John

Bowdon

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2016, 01:22:25 PM »

Thanks mate.

I'll have an experiment. It's annoying though that it doesn't have 'to all' option. I used to have a Netgear modem/router when I was on adsl2+ and it had that option.

The problem I'm having with the PS4 and GTA 5 is that recently I'm being put in to lobbies that are small, and it's not finding quick jobs via the phone. I've not changed anything from it working to now not working. What's interesting is that I have this on PC and it continues to work fine, though I do have ports 80 and 443 open targetting that IP because of another game I have, Guild Wars 2.

But yea.. I'm thinking its some kind of software glitch on the PS4 - GTA 5 as its worked flawlessly until now. I opened a ticket with rockstar and they did the usual check ports post.

Update:

I just tried to type in an entry pointing to my PS4's IP address and it won't let me do that as its saying the port is already open. I can't believe that ASUS didn't think of this issue when looking at port forwarding. Though interestingly enough there is no information in the router manual about port forwarding.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2016, 01:34:45 PM by Bowdon »

d2d4j

• Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2016, 01:39:03 PM »

Hi

Many thanks and I think you have caused the issue with port forward to PC, therefore any requests are routed to PC and not ps4

You would be better just to open port 80, 443 at firewall only and set UPnP on at router, leave port forwarding unless you are running a dedicated device, such as hosting server etc, which I don't think you are and allow the router to correctly control and look after request made in/out

If you do this, the way it works is the router should keep track of requesting internal IP address out, which allows request back to same internal IP address. UPnP allows a device which has UPnP on, to open as needed.

We have Xbox and play gta5, no issues but we are setup as above, no port forwarding and no ports open, reliant purely on UPnP.

I hope that makes sense and the only real downside is the latency, which is around 22ms, but could lower it if we switched username as suggested and proved works to lower latency, but it stops our full external IP addresses, so we cannot do that sorry.

Many thanks

John

d2d4j

• Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2016, 01:56:23 PM »

Hi

Sorry I've just looked up your router and you need to set port trigger and not port forward.

Port trigger only opens the incoming port when a LAN device requests access to the trigger port ie if you set port 80 as trigger port, your PC may request port 80, your router opens this port out and allows the request back in, directing to the device on the LAN that made the request

Hope that helps

Many thanks

John

Bowdon

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2016, 01:58:53 PM »

Thanks.

I'll check that out. I've never heard of port triggering before. It sounds like what I need.

I just updated the firmware to it as well, so now running 3.0.0.4.378_9313

I'll look in to port triggering.

Bowdon

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2016, 04:04:10 PM »

Ok,

I've looked at Port Triggering, it seems to be like Port Forwarding in the sense that it 2 can't open a port to multiple devices at the same time.

The only work around some people find is using UPnP so it'll open alternative ports up when needed.

I still think its odd that the netgear used to allow the target local ip set to all. I was using a modified firmware on that modem/router though. Maybe thats why it had that setting.

GTA 5 seems odd anyways because apparently they don't actually have servers in the traditional sense that people connect to them to meet other players. The only server they have is for the game environment. Everyone else is operating at peer to peer level.

I do suspect my issue could have been caused by some patch update. I have been loading right in to Online game instead of loading in to the offline mode first. I've never had a problem with any port issues before this recent drop zone patch.

Luckily enough my PC GTA 5 is working good so I'll have to play more on that while this is going on. The only ports I have open going to that computer are the PSN ones, not the GTA ones, yet that is working. Very odd.

licquorice

• Reg Member
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2016, 04:26:06 PM »

You can't open the same port to multiple devices at the same time or the server at the other end wouldn't know which device it was meant to be talking to.

Bowdon

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2016, 05:43:01 PM »

I just thought I'd add that my original issue was caused by suddenly GTA servers not connecting me to other players, either in lobbies or on activities.

I just realised what it was when reading up posts other people made online. It was all down to the Aiming setting. I had it on Full, as thats what people use in the offline version. I had noticed last week it kept mentioning about changing my aiming system but I said I may as well keep it as is. So it seems they are seperating people based on aiming, and the full assisted people are in near empty lobbies. I changed mine to partial assisted and bang, full lobbies again!

I don't really know why port settings are a big issue in gaming as apparently they are only really used if your running a server. So on PS4, I have no ports open for it and it works again.

d2d4j

• Kitizen
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2016, 06:24:58 PM »

Hi Bowden

Glad you've resolved it and I did not know that about aiming settings putting you in different lobbies.

I have checked my router, and I can port trigger without specifying a IP address, open ports but do have to specify an internal IP, but can add the same port to a different IP address, which is correct as it is only opening the port and not forwarding it, port redirection forwards the port

I think your ps4 is most likely using UPnP then

Hope you enjoy your gaming now you've got it resolved

Many thanks

John

anything