Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Adsl max router stats  (Read 13399 times)

EVIL-SCOTSMAN

Adsl max router stats
« on: October 06, 2006, 12:21:38 AM »

Hi, this is my first post, so be gentle with me :)

anyway, back to the question at hand.

I have just migrated to BT adslmax, and I was wondering if my stats are good, particulary the SNR margin.

I have been put on interleaving, and I get roughly 500 FEC errors daily ( most are when the pc is turned off but the router is still connected ), I have asked to have interleaving turned off due to the 30-40ms ping time increase in gameing.

Also my snr margin is normally 10.5 highest to 9 lowest, I used DMT tool to boost it to 12 after reading kitz website as he says 12 is a better number to have regarding the SNR margin.

Now 2 questions.

1,  is my SNR margin ok at 12, or even at the old figure of 9 lowest and 10.5 highest, and in general are my stats ok ?

2, was i wise in asking to get interleaving turned off, as I was always on fast mode for the last 4 years without any problem, even tho I was at 2mb, but with interleaving on for 4 days, I had 1500 FEC errors ( again, most are caused when the pc is off but router is still on) and no CRC and no HEC errors, so is it wise for me to have interleaving turned off ? as the only reason I want it turned off is due to increased latency which is obvious for me when playing BF2.

My BRAS is set at 7000kbps and i am on day 7 of my training period.

If there is anything out of the ordinary with my stats could someone point them out to me, as although I am clued up with pc's I havent really worried about router/connection stats until I migrated, and I want to make syure i am getting the best out of the line that I possibly can.

Cheers.

E.S.

Uptime:   0 days, 0:06:45
Modulation:   G.992.1 Annex A
Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]:   448 / 8,096
Data Transferred (Sent/Received) [KB/KB]:   32.00 / 170.00
Output Power (Up/Down) [dBm]:   12.0 / 19.5
Line Attenuation (Up/Down) [dB]:   8.5 / 18.0
SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]:   23.0 / 12.0
Vendor ID (Local/Remote):   TMMB / TSTC
Loss of Framing (Local/Remote):   0 / 0
Loss of Signal (Local/Remote):   0 / 0
Loss of Power (Local/Remote):   0 / 0
Loss of Link (Remote):   0
Error Seconds (Local/Remote):   0 / 0
FEC Errors (Up/Down):   0 / 0
CRC Errors (Up/Down):   0 / 0
HEC Errors (Up/Down):   0 / 0
« Last Edit: October 06, 2006, 12:42:55 AM by EVIL-SCOTSMAN »

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
Re: Adsl max router stats
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2006, 01:11:55 AM »

Hi and welcome to the forums. :)

Your attenuation of 18dB is decent. :)

An SNR Margin of 9dB is fine on MAX as long as it is stablish and doesn't drop too low.
9 - 10.5 is perfectly ok. - The 12dB on my site refers to traditional (2Mb) adsl.

Once your SNR Margin starts to drop below 10dB on a traditional fixed rate line then you are likely to have problems.
DSL Max works slightly differently and is more tolerant at working at lower SNR Margins and

When you say you changed your SNR..  I'm assuming you changed your "Target SNR", this isn't the same as your SNR Margin.
You have a sync rate that doesn't occur very often and this may be as a result of you changing your target SNR when you perhaps didn't need to.
(Increasing your Target SNR will usually result in a drop in sync speed, but stabilising your line).

Theres something odd about the sync rate of 8,096 whereby it apparently provides the most increased latency of all the sync profiles.
It has the maximum error correction and interleave depth, and adds quite a large overhead for the error correction. (Interleave and error correction work alongside each other on BT Max.).
Some users have reported that FEC errors have increased when interleaving is turned on.

I must admit Ive never used the DMT tool since my router doesn't support it, and therefore iirc Ive not written anything about it.
I think perhaps soms/roseway/mr_chris who have netgears will be able to advise you more about it.

But if I were you, based on those stats, Id undo what you did with the DMT tool, and let your line find its own level again. Since you dont have any CRC or HERC errors you may well be fine.

See how it performs a few days by itself then apply to have interleaving removed.

You dont actually say which router you have but because you are talking DMT Im assuming its perhaps a netgear.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

EVIL-SCOTSMAN

« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2006, 01:21:46 AM »

I have the bt home hub, and yes i just found out that when i raised the target snr margin, it indeed dropped my sync speed to 7672 or something, so i will reset the hub in 2 minutes.

all that i was really worried about was the fact of my snr which is 10.5 and drops at peak time say 9 pm to about 9-9.5 then it stabalises again, it never drops below 9.

As for the 8096, i cant say, i do know that many ppl have the same sync speed as that, and it falls inbetween 6.5mb bras profile and 7150kbps bras profile, thats why i am on 7000kbps.

but as long as you think all my stats are fine, then I am happy, as I say, it was just the snr margin, but funnily enoguh, in DMT, its called target noise margin, and when I tweak it, my snr margin actually goes higher in the router stats, as it was always at 10ish but now its at 12, and when i raised it too high, it messed up my sync speed, so I think I will reset the router back to normal.

I was just curious if 1500 FEC errors in 4 days was alot ??? but BT have said that interleaving will be turned off, I had the line for 2 days with no errors and then suddenly they turned interleaving on and i started to get errors and my speed dropped, but not by too much ?

Thanks for your help.

E.S.

EVIL-SCOTSMAN

« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2006, 04:50:23 AM »

Ok, i reset the router and did some other changes to the router, and now i am back to a bras profile of 6500 because i sync'd about 3 or 4 times within 5 minutes or so, so it has now dropped me back to 6500kbps, and I have 2-3 days of my training period left....

Will my profile go back upto 7000kbps if i leave the router on for 3 solid days, or will my 10 days run out before that and it will never get higher than 6500kbps ?

This is gonna pee me off if because i turned off my router a few times that it has lowered my profile to the extent that i now have no time left to get it back upto 7000kbps before my ten days are up.

so my question is, will my profile go back upto 7000kbps regardless if the ten day training period is up or will it stay at 6500kbps for ever if i dont manage to get the profile back upto 7k before the 10 days are over ?

cheers.

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2006, 07:16:35 AM »

Don't worry about the drop in bRAS profile. The profile is continuously reevaluated throughout your time on Max, not just in the first ten days. In general, the profile will be set at a level based on the lowest sync rate over the last three days, so if it falls as yours has it should rise again after three days of higher sync rate.

Have a look at this page http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/maxdsl2.htm for more information. At the bottom of the page is a table telling you what profile speed to expect.

Eric

(PS Note to Kitz: DMT works with Speedtouch routers, not Netgear. Tweaking can be very successful at optimising the connection, but you do have to be prepared to wait several days. There's a new version of DMT which works with some Belkin routers.)
  Eric

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2006, 10:05:33 AM »

>>  DMT works with Speedtouch routers, not Netgear

ty roseway.. 
I sussed that last night after I went to have another look at it.. 
I noticed theres a new verion out which also now supposedly supports the DG834GT which is a broadcom router..  at which point I got distracted cause it was...
ooooh my routers a broadcom..  so I downloaded it and it works with the Voyager too. so thats the V2100, V2110 and V2091 it should also work with now.

But as it was late I didnt get too far....zzzzzzzz
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----

EVIL-SCOTSMAN

« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2006, 04:50:04 PM »

Phew, I am happy that it will rise again regardless of whether it is within the 10 day period or not, as I was thinking, that it would be stuck at what the bras profile is set at during the 10 days thus nothing will be able to get it past that once it was set, but if it is continuous  I should go back upto 7k within a couple of days :D  even if it is after my training period, that was my main concern, but i dont like the way that it happens, as if you turn off your router more than a few times, within say 5 minutes, BT's machine will think that you are having a problem and then lower the rate, as thats what happened to me, now I have to wait 3 days for the machine to chill out....

me thinks i still prefer my fixed line. none of this jiggery pockery business, you got what it said on the tin. :)

BTW, how can you reset DMT sot hat your router is back to defaults ? as I had raised the target snr margin and then set that as the default, and when i deleted DMT tool from my pc and reset the router/flashed the router my snr margin was still on the higher rate of 12 which is the raised rate of 12, as it was only on 10 before, so how can i successfully undo all of dmt tools changes ????

EVIL-SCOTSMAN

« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2006, 06:16:17 PM »

BT called me about 20 minutes ago and told me that interleaving has now been turned off, so i reset the router to clear all the rrors so everything would show 0.

19 minutes later and this is what i see in my hub.

Uptime:   0 days, 0:19:04
Data Transferred (Sent/Received) [MB/MB]:   1.76 / 10.47
SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]:   23.0 / 8.5
Error Seconds (Local/Remote):   10 / 0
FEC Errors (Up/Down):   0 / 3,590
CRC Errors (Up/Down):   0 / 15
HEC Errors (Up/Down):   0 / 14

Interleaving is still turned on, and to a greater degree than it was before, as I now get HEC errors and cyclic redundancy errors also.

wtf has happened, as they surely havent turned off interleaving ???????

its 100 times worse than it ever was....

soms

• Reg Member
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2006, 10:45:23 PM »

Quote from: kitz
I think perhaps soms/roseway/mr_chris who have netgears will be able to advise you more about it

Lol, I don't have a Netgear  ::)

(presently using Linksys but considering move to BT DSL Max w/ Home Hub)

EVIL-SCOTSMAN

« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2006, 01:12:01 AM »

**** it, i dumped bt total 8 days in to a new contract and have signed up for bt business broadband option 2, which is 29.99 and gives me unlimted downloads, and best of all, alot lot better customer support, UK tech customer support at that.

My buddy works at the biz tech support department and says it is nothing like the poor show they put on for residential BB owners.

I get activated again on the 16th, so here goes, anything to get away from that dire support tht is called BB total tech support.

stats since i posted earlier.

Uptime:   0 days, 6:17:27
Data Transferred (Sent/Received) [MB/MB]:   31.93 / 247.30
SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]:   22.0 / 8.5
Error Seconds (Local/Remote):   94 / 0
FEC Errors (Up/Down):   0 / 48,406
CRC Errors (Up/Down):   0 / 112
HEC Errors (Up/Down):   0 / 94

Aint they lovely ? :) :(:(

I forgot to add the max 500kbit ps that I am now getting, all this occured after BT called at tea time and said interleaving is now off.

they lied and turned it on to its highest setting i think ? due to all the FEC erros, previously i would of been lucky to get just FEC errors and only 1500 over a 5 day period....

[Small edit by moderator. Please keep it clean]
« Last Edit: October 07, 2006, 07:30:43 AM by roseway »

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2006, 12:26:20 PM »

:(

Just a warning about interleaving.
Ive come across this several times recently...  whereby its becoming a nightmare to get BTWholesale to remove interleaving.

BTW tell you ISP that interleaving has been removed..  but it hasnt been - and customers can see it hasnt been because its still showing as being on in their router.

This has been affecting many different ISPs and I dont think any of them have quite managed to get to the bottom of it yet.
mr_chris is also struggling with the same thing - he knows damn well that interleaving is still being applied despite BTw saying its been turned off.
-----

EVIL-SCOTSMAN

« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2006, 05:25:06 PM »

Yea, check this out.

Last night BT contacted me and said interleaving was off, it could either be the router isnt registering it or my pc is messed up.

They asked to do a remote session to my pc to check, I let them and i had telnet and DMT all open so they could see that interleaving was still on.

my stats since 6pm last night after they called me to say it has been turned off.

Uptime:   0 days, 22:28:25
Data Transferred (Sent/Received) [MB/GB]:   110.85 / 2.17
SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]:   22.0 / 8.0
Error Seconds (Local/Remote):   365 / 0
FEC Errors (Up/Down):   0 / 165,945
CRC Errors (Up/Down):   0 / 455
HEC Errors (Up/Down):   0 / 401

crazy stats, considering everything was A ok just minutes before they supposdly turned it off.

I dont really care at this stage, as on the 16th my line should retrain when I move over to business.

I just hope they dont charge me for the remainder of my bt total contract, as i have only had total for 9 days, but i spose with distance selling laws I still have a cooling off period of 14 or 30 days ?.

If anyone knows if I will be charged the remainder of my total contract for moving/upgradeing to business, then I would reallly like to hear if anyone has the answer, but in the terms and conditions for total, it says if you are in a contract and you upgrade to any bt broadband product, you will then be re contracted for another 12 months, so i guess it will just switch over and start again from scratch but i will be under 12 month contract with bt biz bb.

if anyone has any info regarding upgradeing/changing contract i would greatfully like to hear any info they may have.

Cheers

E.S.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2006, 05:30:53 PM by EVIL-SCOTSMAN »

EVIL-SCOTSMAN

« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2006, 02:32:54 AM »

well, I thought i should atleast continue the saga :)

Just lost inet connection for 30 mins

I turned router off and on thinking maybe it was that, but it wasnt, well as far as i can make out anyway.

10 ish minutes after being reconnected, my stats are like this

Uptime:   0 days, 0:11:58
Data Transferred (Sent/Received) [MB/MB]:   6.55 / 61.95
SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]:   23.0 / 11.5
Error Seconds (Local/Remote):   0 / 0
FEC Errors (Up/Down):   0 / 0
CRC Errors (Up/Down):   0 / 0
HEC Errors (Up/Down):   0 / 0

so all the errors are fixed, and I am not getting FEC errors at the moment, but, but it still shows me as being on interleaved, well so telnet says anyway.

I aint touching a thing, it will stay like that til i get my leet router back from being RMA'd so i can dump the bt hub and get connected to BT biz....

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2006, 03:02:56 AM »

Good luck on biz :)

Keep an eye on the interleaving thing though...  as I said earlier BTw are often saying that they have turned interleaving off when it hasnt been.

Give your ISP proof by showing them a screen cap of your router with it showing as being on.
Also ask your ISP to do a WOOSH test, which should also show them if interleaving is switched on.

-----

EVIL-SCOTSMAN

« Reply #14 on: October 09, 2006, 02:06:04 PM »

Cheers kitz ;)

I got a call from BT this morning from a decent bloke, he said that when the machine that does interleaving is set to auto, even tho interleaving may be off on that line, it will still show interleaving...

We had a 20 minute convo, and he was a real cool bloke, but just this second my line went awol, and i thought ah crap, but check out telnet stats.

Channel Mode : Fast
Available Bandwidth :  Downstream 8128  Upstream 448

I now have interleaving off and I am syncing at full speed :) and not a bloody error in sight :)

I am now a happy chappy.

I just thought I should at least tell you about my happy ending :)

And when I hook up with BT biz next monday it will get better, as congestion will be non existant at night where I live I should think and UK tech support based in Alness.

Cheers for answering thta few questions I had earlier ;)

E.S.

Pages: [1] 2