Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Parcel Quiz  (Read 10654 times)

sheddyian

• Kitizen
    • My Shed Blog
Re: Parcel Quiz
« Reply #30 on: February 01, 2016, 11:59:45 PM »

Is the product CE marked?

Just wondering if the spurious description might be deliberately contrived, to discourage examination by the UK Import authorities that might take place if the label had read 'consumer electrical goods'. :-\

A good point - I'd presumed that the inaccurate customs declaration was due to mistake / not caring about it/ inability to read the English words.

(I've previously seen catch-all declarations like "accessories", "components" or "mobile phone"!)

Sadly, the CE mark doesn't count for much from China - it seems to be readily forged, or (I've read) claimed to mean "China Export", ie nothing to do with European CE certification, even though the logo is the same.

I think the import duty is less of an issue - I believe it has to be over £20 (might be higher now, it's changed a few times) so there's really no need to declare my £1 purchase as a "gift" to evade customs!  ;D

My overall experience from buying items from China via eBay is about 30% disappointment / failure, 70% success. 

Everything arrived, but not everything worked.  I bought 4 different USB audio adaptors to use with my Raspberry Pi a few months back, one lasted for nearly a week, the next for about 2 days, the other 2 didn't work properly from the start.  They were from different suppliers, and cost less than £2 each including postage.

I've also ordered power adaptors, USB - SATA adaptors, memory, mini wireless keyboards .. can't remember everything.. and they've worked fine for me.

So.. waiting to see what happens with the LED lamp  :fingers:

Ian

sheddyian

• Kitizen
    • My Shed Blog
Re: Parcel Quiz
« Reply #31 on: February 02, 2016, 12:07:51 AM »

Hi Ian

Many thanks, but I have not deserved the prize sorry, but thank you

We bought an antique lamp in the late 70's early 80's which had been converted to electric, with a small lamp similar but with 2 plates which appears to arch. Sorry I don't know the name of those bulbs but thery were relaxing to look at

John

You seemed closest in your answer, and were the first to mention "light", and "solar" which is almost always LED!

The lamp you describe sounds like the flickering candle - they don't really give off any light in themselves, but there's two "flame" shaped pieces of metal, and electricity causes a flickering effect around the edge which resembles a flame.  It's orangey-yellow in colour.  I like those lamps, pretty to look at but of no use for providing light.

This is an example of the flicker lamp I'm thinking of, although this is an American version.
http://www.goodmart.com/products/sunlite-lighting-3w-b10-flame-shape-flicker-lamp-medium-base-480503.htm

Ian
Pages: 1 2 [3]