Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Problem Flashing the Firmware to a HG612  (Read 2886 times)

russs

• Just arrived
Problem Flashing the Firmware to a HG612
« on: January 29, 2016, 01:50:58 PM »

Hi, I'm having major issues unlocking my HG612 2B - I can get the firmware update screen where I can choose to upload the new firmware (ie, hold reset, power on, keep holding & wait 5 seconds, browse to 192.168.1.1) and then upload the new firmware, but then the HG612 reboots and just enters a boot loop - power light comes on, then LAN2, then the orange/green LAN port lights come on, then immediately all lights go off and the sequence repeats.  Its like when it initialises the LAN ports its causing the router to reset. I've left it for hours and doesn't change over time.

I can always get back into the firmware update screen each time, and have tried flashing B028SP10unlocked002, B030SP06_webgui and B030SP08_webgui but they all do exactly the same.  I've tried on Windows 7 and Linux (Debian 8 - clean install, just for this!), various browers (IE, Firefox and Konqueror) in case its firewall or something browser or OS related and always the same result....

I'm about to throw it in the bin, but one last call for help as I can't see (through extensive searching) what's gone wrong.  Can anyone advise what to try? Thanks, Russ

Guessing my extensive searching wasn't that extensive, its the same issue as kitzy here http://forum.kitz.co.uk/index.php/topic,16565.0.html

FIXED IT - Power Supply issue - checked the PSU which came with the HG612 and it was 12V @ 0.6A - then noticed the label underneath the HG612 says 12V @ 0.7A so I switched it for another PSU (12V @ 1.0A) and hey presto we're in on B030SP08, although on reboot the HG612 was on 192.168.0.1 not 192.168.1.1.  The perils of buying from fleabay with the seller clearly throwing in a PSU which made the lights come on but not enough for the flashing process!
« Last Edit: January 29, 2016, 03:30:30 PM by russs »

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
Re: Problem Flashing the Firmware to a HG612
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2016, 05:54:50 PM »

Welcome to the Kitz forum russs:)

Thank you for post, the addendum was interesting to read. I wonder how many people critically examine a recent acquisition of second-hand hardware?  ::)
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2016, 07:40:14 PM »

Was there not two types of power supply units for HG612 2B and 3B both are 12v the black PSU was 700mA and the white PSU was 1.0Amps

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2016, 09:48:39 PM »

Indeed, there were two different power supplies.

As you recall, the original was encased in black plastic and its replacement was encased in white plastic. It was so long ago that I have forgotten the stated power value of each type.
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.