Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Fastest Sync Speed Modem/Router for Huawei cabinet with G.INP?  (Read 7783 times)

gazaai

• Reg Member
Fastest Sync Speed Modem/Router for Huawei cabinet with G.INP?
« on: January 27, 2016, 08:06:03 PM »

I am looking for the highest sync rate modem or router that is used for a Huawei cabinet with G.INP. Also I need to be able to see its stats, so the Home Hub 5 Type B is out of the question.

I currently have a Billion 8800nl and I love its configuration, so I think I will keep using this as my router but I'm not positive it has the best modem. I seem to be getting a lot of FEC errors and I have seen many other users reporting that the HG612 has significantly less errors than the 8800nl.

Has anyone found a modem / router that has gave them a higher sync rate than another modem they have used?
Plusnet: 80 / 20
MDWS Username: GaZaai

Modem: Billion 8800NL (Bridge Mode)
Router + AP: NETGEAR R7800 (OpenWRT/LEDE)
APs: 2x Linksys Linksys EA6700

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
Re: Fastest Sync Speed Modem/Router for Huawei cabinet with G.INP?
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2016, 08:16:41 PM »

. . . I seem to be getting a lot of FEC errors . . .

Just a small point. As you are seeing FECs, they show you that the error correcting mechanism is working.

A FEC is not an error; consider one FEC as a "CRC which did not happen" due to the intervention of the error correcting mechanism.  :)
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

gazaai

• Reg Member
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2016, 08:23:31 PM »

OK well that is not so bad :)

But I do seem to get a few CRC Errors on the Upstream along with Error Seconds. It seems to be only the upstream that is affected by this I am guessing this is due to G.INP only enabled on the downstream. Although if I look on MyDSLWebStats there are many people with full green traffic lights who don't have G.INP on the upstream. I guess my line may have high cross talk causing this then giving me high error seconds.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2016, 08:28:59 PM »

As for your actual question, I think it goes without saying that you should consider a modem (or a modem/router) which has a Broadcom chipset.

Your current Billion 8800NL is one such device. So I will suggest that you consider a Huawei HG612 and experiment with that "in front of" the 8800NL.
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

gazaai

• Reg Member
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2016, 08:35:44 PM »

I have had a HG612 in the past but as you know this was when I had a bridge tap on my line and the sync speed was a fair bit worse than the 8800nl, around 5mpbs which is a pretty big jump for just a modem change. I'm not sure if it would be a different story now that the bridge tap issue has gone. I see the new Billion 8900 models are getting shipped next week and I am positive they have Broadcom chip set as well. I may get a hold of one of them as this would allow me to tidy up my current set-up and run an all in one box downstairs. As right now I have:

Downstairs:
Billion 8800nl (As Router / Modem) + Netgear D6300 (2.4Ghz + 5Ghz Wireless AP)

Upstairs:
Netgear D6200 (2.4Ghz + 5Ghz Wireless AP)

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2016, 08:46:16 PM »

Using a broadcom chipset BCM 63168 which the billion 8800nl uses will give me 900 -1200 kbps more sync on the downstream than the HG612 3B it is not a massive increase and would be very hard to  see any real difference in performance.

gazaai

• Reg Member
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2016, 08:48:51 PM »

Yeah so I don't think there is much point in me testing out the HG612 again then. I may try to use a Home Hub 5 Type B just too see what sort of speeds I can get with that. The issue with the home hub if it were to be faster is that I cant use it for MyDSLWebStats.

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2016, 09:02:57 PM »

The issue with the home hub if it were to be faster is that I cant use it for MyDSLWebStats.

Yes it's also the reason why my BrightBox2 which is also a broadcom chipset BCM 63168 but again no access to telenet and the reason why I still use the HG612 3B BCM 6368 for MDWS

I would just stick with the Billion 8800nl
« Last Edit: January 27, 2016, 09:05:57 PM by NewtronStar »

PhilipD

• Reg Member
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2016, 09:52:58 AM »

Hi

OK well that is not so bad :)

But I do seem to get a few CRC Errors on the Upstream along with Error Seconds. It seems to be only the upstream that is affected by this I am guessing this is due to G.INP only enabled on the downstream. Although if I look on MyDSLWebStats there are many people with full green traffic lights who don't have G.INP on the upstream. I guess my line may have high cross talk causing this then giving me high error seconds.

ADSL and VDSL are designed to have errors otherwise it would be impossible to attempt to push so much data through decades old telephone wire, so CRC errors are quite normal and so you get error seconds, and your numbers are very low and are not going to be noticed.  Also those errors are so low the chances they are even affecting your data is slim, this is because ADSL and VDSL are constantly exchanging packets, and unless you are downloading or uploading at maximum bandwidth, typically a high percentage of those packets will contain empty payloads, but still register errors.

Most of your traffic (web browsing, email, downloads/uploads) is sent via TCP/IP, which automatically detects errors and asks for the data again, so even if affected, you notice nothing.  The only issue is with streaming traffic, as that uses UDP which has no mechanism to say "hey, that data didn't get to me, send again", and typically if streaming video or audio it's not much use if packets arrive out of order because they've had to be requested again, so you might see a glitch.

This is where G.INP steps in as it works at a very low level with lower latency, and re-requests corrupt data quicker than your device would, so will help with streaming, which is primarily why it was invented, for TV on demand type applications.  It also helps BT as the error can be corrected without your computer re-requesting it from the source and that data having to be resent over the entire network.  With millions of users G.INP helps take strain of the entire backbone.

Cross-talk doesn't usually cause errors as such, because your modem detects it and syncs at a lower speed to compensate.  All you are seeing are just typical blips caused by all sorts of interference in the air, or even in the mains, and is nothing to worry about, it's normal at the levels you are seeing. 

Regards

Phil

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2016, 10:11:58 AM »

I use a ZyXel VMG8324-B10A, which is also Broadcom based and have found that it gives me a much better download speed, but I think upload was slightly worse. It's been a long time since I've used my HG612 and I'm also on an eci cabinet. They also do an AC wireless version although I can't remember the model number, but it's very similar.
Formerly restrained by ECI and ali,  now surfing along at 550/52  ;D

gazaai

• Reg Member
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2016, 08:13:35 PM »

I wonder if the ZyXel would have any more speed advantages over the Billion  :-\

PhilipD

• Reg Member
« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2016, 02:26:44 PM »

Hi

The ZyXel 8324 (and 8924) have a common mode filter installed as close as possible to the modem electronics internally, I've not see another modem with one of these before, and it does seem to help give a bit more speed as it reduces noise.

Regards

Phil

gazaai

• Reg Member
« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2016, 04:06:12 PM »

Hi

The ZyXel 8324 (and 8924) have a common mode filter installed as close as possible to the modem electronics internally, I've not see another modem with one of these before, and it does seem to help give a bit more speed as it reduces noise.

Regards

Phil

Interesting, do you know if the Zyxel VMG1312 has this filter and is as good as the ZyXel 8324/8924. I seem to find this router for a lot cheaper.

PhilipD

• Reg Member
« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2016, 06:04:24 PM »

Hi

Yes appears to if this is the same model.  This link http://www.netcheif.com/Reviews/VMG1312/PIC/board.JPG is an internal picture of the VMG1312, the filter can be seen in the top right of the image.  Where the transformer marked UMEC is, the filter is immediately above it.   

Regards

Phil

Source of the image at http://www.netcheif.com/Reviews/VMG1312/VMG1312.htm

gazaai

• Reg Member
« Reply #14 on: January 31, 2016, 01:47:25 PM »

Thanks for your help PhilipD.

I have just purchased a ZyXel VMG8924-B10A. Does anyone know the best firmware to use?

Pages: [1] 2