Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Windows 10 BSOD loop caused by vestigial McAfee, with solution  (Read 3210 times)

petef

• Reg Member
Windows 10 BSOD loop caused by vestigial McAfee, with solution
« on: January 26, 2016, 01:58:07 PM »

I recently upgraded a Toshiba Satellite C50-A-19T from Windows 8.1 to 10. All seemed fine for a couple of weeks but then it could not be booted. It came up with a blue screen with the message DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL (mfewfpk.sys). The default remedial action is to allow Windows to repair and reboot but that did not help. I did not select options to do a system restore as I was fairly sure that it would not help.

mfewfpk.sys is a driver associated with McAfee security software. As with many new computers mine had a trial version bundled. One of the first things I did was to uninstall McAfee and put on Avast.

It transpires that there is a long established problem with McAfee uninstallers. Not all components are removed. This is fairly benign until a change of Windows version leading to the symptoms I saw or similar.

The fix involved booting to safe mode. I could see in there that there were two McAfee services. I downloaded MCPR.exe (McAfee Consumer Product Removal tool) from the McAfee web site using another computer and copied it in using a flash drive. As a result of running that the laptop now boots cleanly and the rump McAfee files and services have all gone.

I would advise anyone who, like me, had "uninstalled" McAfee to confirm whether they still have entries whose name starts with McAfee in services, or files in C:\Program Files\McAfee and C:\Program Files\Common Files\McAfee. If so then download and run MCPR.exe.

AArdvark

• Kitizen
Re: Windows 10 BSOD loop caused by vestigial McAfee, with solution
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2016, 03:25:49 PM »

This sort of problem is a known issue for many many years.
Many of the Anti-Virus Packages etc you install will install low-level drivers to 'knit' itself into the OS, that are often 'protected' from being de-installed.
[Protection needed from 'Naughty' software as well as accidental removal by the user]

Often the normal Windows 'Uninstall Program' can miss some of the low-level drivers and leave them still 'knitted' in.
As per McAfee there are usually programs available from the vendor to remove these vestigial bits of software.

There will also be bits and pieces left in the Registry and hidden in the wilds of /Users/<UserID>/AppData/.....
This should be fixed by making the de-install work correctly but to data it has not been done for many similar Applications.
I do wonder if they are 'breaking' the install process regarding how to install the Applications so the de-install consequently will fail. !!??
Very possibly related to how they install/protect the low-level drivers ?
[An example technique is to install a service that monitors the driver is installed and working and it prevents the driver being stopped and/or de-installed by any process other than the AV Application itself. This service will consequently prevent the removal of the driver when you de-install the AV Application.]

adrianw

• Reg Member
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2016, 11:27:02 PM »

At $JOB, some years ago we wrecked several NT servers using McAfee when we tried to remove it so that we could use the equally awful (IMAO) Symantic AV suite, which was the the corporate mandated AV solution.

Personally, I gave up on McAfee long ago, started using Avast and became very unhappy when I trojaned a machine with a dubious ebook collection, and then guided by a very AV competent friend, switched to Windows Defender (free) and Malwarebytes Pro (a couple of lifetime licences were quite cheap). Unlike much of the competition in the consumer grade AV arena, they are silent until they detect something.

It is still wise to be careful what you click on.

AArdvark

• Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2016, 12:50:26 AM »

The latest Avast is very good and does not get in the way if you configure correctly.
I use Avast + MalwareBytes Pro + Spybot SD (Not latest Version) + MalwareBytes Anti-Exploit Free + Zonealarm Firewall.

As you can see I trust little ..... Belt, Braces & Hardhat and Hobnail boots to round it off. :)
(I am sure Windows Defender is also running in the background as well. Never seen it catch anything though !! :) )

Sent from my Samsung SM-P900 via Tapatalk (Typos & Bad formatting are free)

kitzuser87430

• Reg Member
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2016, 07:54:54 PM »

I use Avast + MalwareBytes Pro + Spybot SD (Not latest Version) + MalwareBytes Anti-Exploit Free + Zonealarm Firewall.

I use a chromebook..... :P

and a windows8.1 system sometimes (Avira for AV and secunia for patching programs)

anything