Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Local rag gives me pop up blocker grief.  (Read 3612 times)

renluop

• Kitizen
Local rag gives me pop up blocker grief.
« on: January 19, 2016, 03:50:42 PM »

I browse the two local newspapers in their online versions, and both are from the same stable. Today one  has started blocking me, as I had AdBlock + installed. I have followed theirguidance, inclding whitelisting the domain, but still the bar on reading and commenting remains. I have rebooted the computer, used CCleaner and Revo to unearth any trace of AdBlock, but have got nowhere at all.

Is the problem one I've caused, and how may I rectify it, please? Or is it perhaps the 'skills' of the paper's IT gining the grief, maybe?

kitzuser87430

• Reg Member
Re: Local rag gives me pop up blocker grief.
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2016, 07:37:34 PM »

Renluop

I had a look at the news section and a big banner appeared notifying me that I would be unable to read there news articles as I had ABP installed, all I had to do was click on the ABP in the toolbar and uncheck the "Enabled on this site".

I then pressed F5 to refresh and voila....I could read the local Southampton news.

Ian

renluop

• Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2016, 08:11:06 PM »

I did all that! :)

Just now found it was the whitelisitng! Removed et voila.

c6em

• Reg Member
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2016, 09:25:40 AM »

But that means you get the ad's back again.

The scum will be running some sort of javascript thingy to detect that you have an adblocker in place.
If you block the java-thingy from running with no-script they will be up-sheet creek without a paddle and 'normal' ad free operation will be restored.

Bowdon

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2016, 11:55:04 AM »

Glad you've found a solution.

I can understand some sites complaining about adblock. But most viruses these days come via adverts on websites. These adverts are coming from third party companies who always seem to be hacked and malicious code injected in to them. I think until we get near 100% clean advert companies then we shouldnt be forced to remove our protection.

Btw, I have noticed something odd. When I go to the daily mail website, all the adverts are removed with adblock. But on my Win10 PC, the 2 big adverts going down the sides of the page seem to remain unblocked. I have the same adblock lists on both computers, and using the same version of Firefox. I guess the only difference is I don't have java on this old computer. I can't imagine java is the factor though?
BT Full Fibre 500 - Smart Hub 2

renluop

• Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2016, 12:36:31 PM »

Well, as it turns out, although it seemed to  solved, it wasn't. Soon after the problem returned! :'(

I sought, and removed any speck of anything that smelled of a blocker, wherever it lurked, even the registry. cleared caches and cookies, ran CCleaner.

Now, although  any adblocker must be cleared, because they appear on other sites browsed, the paper's site still blocks me for having a blocker! ::)

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2016, 07:12:24 AM »

Do you have a static IPv4 address?

Bowdon

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2016, 01:53:59 PM »

Hmm.. I just loaded it up while adblock was on and it advised me about removing their site from adblock.. So I hit disable on this site and hit reload and it worked.

Have you ever manually blocked an item from another page?

What browser are you using to adblock?

Why not install another browser without adblock and use that. I have Firefox and Chrome. Because I'm using an old OS sometimes FF doesn't work for some media so I end up using Chrome for sites like Twitter. So try a different browser that doesn't have adblock installed and that should work.
BT Full Fibre 500 - Smart Hub 2

renluop

• Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2016, 03:00:16 PM »

Do you have a static IPv4 address?
Dynamic; too poor and common to have such highfalutin things. ;D

renluop

• Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2016, 03:06:47 PM »

Hmm.. I just loaded it up while adblock was on and it advised me about removing their site from adblock.. So I hit disable on this site and hit reload and it worked.

Have you ever manually blocked an item from another page?

What browser are you using to adblock?

Why not install another browser without adblock and use that. I have Firefox and Chrome. Because I'm using an old OS sometimes FF doesn't work for some media so I end up using Chrome for sites like Twitter. So try a different browser that doesn't have adblock installed and that should work.

Matters are now on back burner, as daughter has arranged for her IFA to have a chat with me and OH, so I'm collating finace facts. Will resume quest idc. BTW even a fresh user profile...zilch!