Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: TalkTalk telephony outage  (Read 7545 times)

sheddyian

• Kitizen
    • My Shed Blog
TalkTalk telephony outage
« on: January 14, 2016, 01:44:38 PM »

I went to use the phone this morning, and found no dialtone.  A quick google and I find there's a widespread outage today on TalkTalk telephony.  No dial tone, unable to make calls, incoming calls receive a message to the effect that the number is not known.  Internet access not affected.  Being reported by people seemingly spread across the UK, but [I'm assuming] not by everyone.

Out of curiosity, what sort of fault could cause this?  An exchange fault would just affect customers on that one exchange wouldn't it?, how can this outage be so widespread (and yet seemingly not affect everyone on TalkTalk)?

Ian

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
Re: TalkTalk telephony outage
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2016, 02:11:41 PM »

Not sure of the terminology, but if TT PSTN infrastructure is similar to BT's (which it will I'm sure) ......... local Exchange switches will be routed to a 'Super-node'. Around my way, half my patch are routed to Manchester, whereas the other half is routed to Preston.

If you'll indulge me, I remember nearly 30yrs ago and a particular System X suite when down at Preston Super-Node, and it was down to a 'Battery Sensing Fuse'.
I can't remember the ins and outs, as I was a Power Construction engineer at the time, but our Power Maintenance brothers mentioned that this tiny milliamp fuse had popped and had caused the entire power-cabinet feeding the suite to shut down !! A million memo's later and all sense fuses were either removed or replaced, can't remember which ??

Something as simple as that caused what was classed as a MSO (Major Service Outage).  :)

sheddyian

• Kitizen
    • My Shed Blog
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2016, 02:33:14 PM »

Something as simple as that caused what was classed as a MSO (Major Service Outage).  :)

Ah thanks for the tech info, always interesting to read.  I wonder if we'll ever officially know what's happened today?  TalkTalk reporting that some (majority?) users now have service restored, but I'm still off.

Ian

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2016, 06:31:02 PM »

I only have become aware of today's outage by reading this thread. Checking via my telephone (timed as this post) I do receive a dial-tone "proceed to initiate a call tone".
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2016, 06:51:26 PM »

Hmmm, how strange ?? I've just checked my e-mails and there's one from a manager of a different patch to mine, and it states that Talk-Talk have informed BT that there are issues with the EXFO HHT not being able to synch-up with their BB product.
A fix is being worked on.

That's all I have I'm afraid.

sheddyian

• Kitizen
    • My Shed Blog
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2016, 08:21:13 PM »

I only have become aware of today's outage by reading this thread. Checking via my telephone (timed as this post) I do receive a dial-tone "proceed to initiate a call tone".

Mine was down at about 9am - just a slight hiss when I picked the handset up - and was still down at about 2:30pm when I went out, but was working when I got back again around 4:30pm.

Ian

sheddyian

• Kitizen
    • My Shed Blog
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2016, 08:22:27 PM »

Hmmm, how strange ?? I've just checked my e-mails and there's one from a manager of a different patch to mine, and it states that Talk-Talk have informed BT that there are issues with the EXFO HHT not being able to synch-up with their BB product.
A fix is being worked on.

That's all I have I'm afraid.

My ADSL Broadband was working fine throughout, just unable to make or receive voice calls!

Ian

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2016, 08:25:13 PM »

It only affects OR's EXFO testers ......... not EU's routers.

sheddyian

• Kitizen
    • My Shed Blog
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2016, 10:51:30 PM »

It only affects OR's EXFO testers ......... not EU's routers.
Ah, sorry, I misunderstood.

Ian

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2016, 07:17:56 AM »

As oft I do ....  ;D ;D.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2016, 06:49:15 PM »

Not sure of the terminology, but if TT PSTN infrastructure is similar to BT's

I dont think it is.   The full MPF LLU providers use IP for delivery of voice.  Their MSANs convert voice to digital.   
If their telephony system is down, then its no surprise that the HHTs may not work properly.   Note that today isnt the first time this has happened recently..   This is last Thurs

During a major system upgrade we experienced an issue that may have impacted some of our customers dial tones and ability to make or receive calls from their landlines. We’re pleased to say this is now resolved and customers should be able to make and receive calls as normal.

BT still use their traditional PSTN system.   About 8/10 years ago they were supposed to start using IP delivery on 21CN, but they backed out for some reason and all has been quiet since on that score. 
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

anything