Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Which drivers?  (Read 2653 times)

Bowdon

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
Which drivers?
« on: January 12, 2016, 03:25:51 PM »

It seems an issue facing people who have upgraded to Win10 is one of drivers.

For many bits of hardware the companies haven't issued a specific Win10 driver. So what is the general consensus of which version of the driver to use?

I had Win7 Pro 64bit edition. So do I keep installing drivers for that platform even though I'm now on Win10 Pro 64bit edition?

I have noticed that the version of RealTek (the audio driver for my computer) is now listed at a higher version than what is the newest version of the Asus website (my motherboard is Asus). So I'm thinking through Windows update, its updating the driver from another platform. It would be interesting to know which ???
BT Full Fibre 500 - Smart Hub 2

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
Re: Which drivers?
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2016, 03:49:04 PM »

If you can't find a Windows 10 driver then I'd try a Windows 8 driver first,  if that doesn't exist then try Windows 7, no guarantee it will work or even install though.
Formerly restrained by ECI and ali,  now surfing along at 550/52  ;D

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2016, 07:00:47 PM »

As ronski said.

e.g. Windows 8 and 10 over windows update supply a 2006 ATK driver.  So even microsoft themselves distribute very old drivers.
Likewise windows 8 supplies a windows 7 driver for the onboard intel 965 graphics on my laptop, as intel decided to stop supporting it about 5 years ago. (think it may even be a vista driver).

Bowdon

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2016, 07:28:59 PM »

I don't really know why they have changed things so much in Win10. It's like they have changed it for changings sake. No wonder some software and hardware companies are struggling to keep up.

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2016, 12:13:38 PM »

The UI changes are for sure to give a novelty factor, certain user's get excited by it.
There is of course under the hood changes and the shift to making it a data hoarding service.

I am only just now changing my network and some family machines to windows 8.1 from windows 7.  Windows 10 had me excited for it initially, up until the point it released where forced updates was confirmed and all the tracking junk occurring.  But for me the biggest put off with win10 currently is its unstable state, microsoft have now copied google and moved to a rapid development model which is not the type of product shift I like.

Bowdon

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2016, 03:18:45 PM »

Ok, so today I looked on the ASUS website for my board and installed the Win8.1 version of Reaktek drivers (I previously had Win7 drivers) and everything seems to work again. I did notice that the audio driver I've now installed is an older version.

The problem I had was recording or playing using a free program called Audacity. The driver windows update installed, though it is a more recent version of driver seems to have issues. It doesnt seem to be properly configured to recognise the hardware. So Audacity wouldn't work.

I have chosen the option to not update drivers. Apparently they took away the option in windows recent big update 1151 to select for it to 'let me choose' which drivers to install.

Their need to be control freaks is going to grind the pc industry to a halt, and only people with experience is going to have a chance to correct the mistakes windows update makes.

anything