Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]

Author Topic: Site sluggishness  (Read 18360 times)

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
Re: Site sluggishness
« Reply #60 on: January 23, 2016, 08:08:35 PM »

I had Firebug running and noticed it was taking about 10 secs for the forum to respond (FTTC topics listing). So did a refresh.

The attached is a screen grab, just two 45ms images missing at the bottom. Normal overall response is about 500ms..

Thank you but cant see anything in there that identifies a problem.   
I've a feeling Im missing something here about overall response time 500ms - where has that figure come from?   :-\
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #61 on: January 23, 2016, 08:12:50 PM »

the show ads is due to me blocking google syndicate as that hostname is constant lag in browsing.

Check topicseen.html, its over 5 seconds for the request.

When there is no visible pause the page loads between 500-600ms like tony said, personally I actually think thats slow unless its quite low spec hardware, so I think you have a database problem, perhaps either in corrupt data or an optimisation problem.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2016, 08:40:38 PM by Chrysalis »

tbailey2

• Kitizen
« Reply #62 on: January 23, 2016, 08:19:01 PM »

I had Firebug running and noticed it was taking about 10 secs for the forum to respond (FTTC topics listing). So did a refresh.

The attached is a screen grab, just two 45ms images missing at the bottom. Normal overall response is about 500ms..

Thank you but cant see anything in there that identifies a problem.   
I've a feeling Im missing something here about overall response time 500ms - where has that figure come from?   :-\

No it just tells you the server took a long time to respond, not why... The 500ms is the normal response time for that page to finish loading rather than 11000ms+ here.

Edit:
Forgot I have all Google related links blocked on the site so if that was a problem then it wouldn't show in the listing.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2016, 08:48:48 PM by tbailey2 »
Tony
My Books!
Plusnet 80/20 - DSLstats - HG612/TG582n - ECI

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #63 on: January 23, 2016, 09:26:33 PM »

Hang on Ive just spotted something.   I didnt check the SMF forum logs because on previous occasions there has never been nothing to show.   Eric can check these logs too and will verify that on all previous occasions there hasnt been anything

However at around 6:30 this evening there was a problem.   I can also see exactly who had problems with some slowness  (ie BaldEagle had one slow load at 06:31:15 PM).

The problem is something to do with tapatalk (mobiquo), although why this affected non tapatalk users too I have no idea.  Tapatalk is an SMF extension for mobile users. 
According to the logs it should have cleared soon after and didnt last very long.  Does 6:30 is tie in when you saw this?

Below is the SMF error log, showing just a small sample of users who experienced an issue at about this time.
Normally the only things that show in there are banned users or people trying to hack into admin.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----

tbailey2

• Kitizen
« Reply #64 on: January 23, 2016, 09:43:31 PM »

Can't say I saw anything at 18:30 as was having dinner - the forum is on automatic refresh anyway. The screen grab I did was at 19:05. Don't know anything about Tapatalk I'm afraid.
Tony
My Books!

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #65 on: January 23, 2016, 09:53:40 PM »

Do you have a tapatalk account?

I can see from the logs that you experienced several issues just after 6:30 all related to tapatalk mobiquo files and topicseen.html

Code: [Select]
tbailey2   Today at 06:31:08 PM

http://forum.kitz.co.uk/index.php?/topic,16825.0/topicseen.html

8: Undefined offset: 1
File: /home/kitzco/public_html/forum/mobiquo/lib/classTTConnection.php
Line: 680

Ive no idea how tapatalk works, but what it does do is try and sync your read posts with any posts you also read whilst on the PC. 

Saying that there were also a lot of requests for unregistered users seeing the same issue,  I'm guessing (and it is only a guess) that topicseen.html may be checking for any messages read via tapatalk before loading each and every thread. 

What the log above appears to be telling me is that tonight some users - in fact tbailey2, chrysalis & BaldEagle were the only reg users experiencing a problem - all the others were just IPs. 
-----

tbailey2

• Kitizen
« Reply #66 on: January 23, 2016, 10:07:28 PM »

As I said in my previous post, I don't know anything about Tapatalk - or didn't until you just explained it  ;)
Tony
My Books!

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #67 on: January 23, 2016, 10:33:19 PM »

Ive posted a support question to tapatalk to see if I get any answers, it looks like when I installed tapatalk:

Everytime a user requests a page then it checks if its been read or not, part of this process is checking and syncing with tapatalk for SMF read posts. 
ClassTTConnection.php (where it opens and communicates with the tapatalk servers) is where tonights errors have been occurring.   Tapatalk becomes quite tightly integrated into SMF when installed and why it probably looked like the issue was at this end. 

I stress that this problem is only tonight and it is unrelated to previous reports. 
Eric can view the SMF logs and could confirm that on previous occasions nothing showed in the logs..  and that the issue with TTConnection only started at around 6:30pm this evening.
-----

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #68 on: January 23, 2016, 10:35:03 PM »

As I said in my previous post, I don't know anything about Tapatalk - or didn't until you just explained it  ;)

Thanks tony,  I wanted to confirm if you had a tapatalk account or not. 
One of the questions Ive asked is why TTconnection should also affect non tapatalk users
-----

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #69 on: January 23, 2016, 10:48:25 PM »

Eric can view the SMF logs and could confirm that on previous occasions nothing showed in the logs

That's correct. I've looked on several occasions in the past and never seen anything amiss.
  Eric

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #70 on: January 24, 2016, 01:23:06 AM »

As said in PM mine was around the 6.30 time period.  I can get the exact time by checking the post I made before replying to this thread, I will edit this post with the time I found.

Also offered you some advice in the PM.

Actually I think I was just reading posts as the post I did here http://forum.kitz.co.uk/index.php/topic,16818.msg309976.html#msg309976 was after the time on my screenshot.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2016, 01:25:42 AM by Chrysalis »

d2d4j

• Kitizen
« Reply #71 on: January 24, 2016, 09:43:28 AM »

Hi

I use tapatalk and only login to make a reply or start a new thread

I did not notice any slowness in tapatalk but if you remember, I have previously asked about tapatalk displaying last message posted in a thread. It still does not do this but more importantly, unless I login first, it does not show unread posts, it shows all as read.

I also thought of a few ideas, like chrysalis, possible db issue, but more in terms of queries queued.

I am not sure if this a vps or full dedicated, but if vps and everything looks good, it could be a neighbor on the server using resource perhaps - guess work as you all know the setup/server, so sorry if I'm wrong

Lastly, I did a few tests to Kitz.co.uk, which tested on various connection speed from London test server, 5mb connection showed average load 8 sec and 20mb showed just under 3 sec.

I hope that helps and please ignore my post if I'm wrong sorry, I don't mean to introduce red Herrings

Many thanks

John

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #72 on: January 24, 2016, 02:48:21 PM »

Thanks.

Im going to install the latest version of tapatalk.    I dont usually like updating it that often because its manual and nine times out of ten something usually goes wrong :(  SMF for some reason stopped approving the plugin and it can no longer be installed via the package manager. :(

One of the changelog updates since my last is this

Code: [Select]
solved issue that cause in forum view not showing correct unread items
Anyway I'll get everything together then take the forums offline to update.
-----

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #73 on: January 24, 2016, 04:06:09 PM »

Ive updated to the latest tapatalk and whilst offline I also undertook some forum maintenance.

The database tables have been optimised
Ive also cleared out a pile of old logs and pruned some posts.
I ran a check to see if there were any issues with any of the SMF files which came back "Congratulations, no errors found"

The main site is busier than the forums as thats what gets the most hits and there are several other databases -  the adslchecker is probably one of the most busy pages, and Ive temp turned off a tracker on there.   (I was just logging for excess access from certain IPs - such as BT CS running several checks per minute).   
The front page calls from the forum, but some of the static pages such as this should always run quite quickly http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/

Ive no doubt in my mind that yesterdays issue @ 6:30pm was caused in some way by the tapatalk plugin and was unrelated to mikes issue.

-----

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #74 on: January 24, 2016, 04:56:09 PM »

ok fingers crossed its resolved, but in case it isnt I have sent you more info in PM.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]

anything