Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5

Author Topic: Site sluggishness  (Read 18428 times)

tickmike

• Kitizen
  • Yes Another Penguin !. :)
Re: Site sluggishness
« Reply #30 on: January 14, 2016, 10:35:34 PM »

It's ok now but was very slow at lunch time today, I'm with Eclipse.
I have a set of 6 fixed IP's From  Eclipse  isp.BT ADSL2(G992.3) line>HG612 as a Modem, Bridge, WAN Not Bound to LAN1 or 2 + Also have FTTP (G.984) No One isp Fixed IP >Dual WAN pfSense (Hardware Firewall and routing).> Two WAN's, Ethernet LAN, DMZ LAN, Zyxel GS1100-24 Switch.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #31 on: January 14, 2016, 10:54:05 PM »

I wasnt around at 07:30 so cant comment for that time.. but I was around at lunch time from about just gone 12 to about 2:30ish and it was ok here then, so perhaps looking like an isp/routing issue? 
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

tickmike

• Kitizen
« Reply #32 on: January 14, 2016, 11:17:37 PM »

I use FireFox to view is there any info I can capture next time it's slow which for me is often  :'(.
I have a set of 6 fixed IP's From  Eclipse  isp.BT ADSL2(G992.3) line>HG612 as a Modem, Bridge, WAN Not Bound to LAN1 or 2 + Also have FTTP (G.984) No One isp Fixed IP >Dual WAN pfSense (Hardware Firewall and routing).> Two WAN's, Ethernet LAN, DMZ LAN, Zyxel GS1100-24 Switch.

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #33 on: January 14, 2016, 11:19:33 PM »

I looked in at various times through the day, and didn't experience any problem.
  Eric

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #34 on: January 14, 2016, 11:31:53 PM »

I was a very late arrival this afternoon and I have not experienced any problems today (Thursday 14th January).
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #35 on: January 15, 2016, 12:32:28 AM »

I use FireFox to view is there any info I can capture next time it's slow which for me is often  :'(.

Just a thought.   This is something Ive mentioned to a few people over the past couple of weeks, but firefox has become increasingly slow for me and Im even considering permanently swapping over to another browser because of this.    Im getting quite used to it now crashing every other day.. and it has become sluggish and slow.    There is definitely some sort of memory issue with it which I have noticed will cause slowness.  Its not unusual for it to be taking anything up to 4GB of my RAM and Ive even seen it at 6GB once.   Its currently at 1.8GB of RAM for me, and thats with me force crashing it from task manager just this morning.  Once it consumes about 2-3GB it starts slowing down everything I am doing.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #36 on: January 15, 2016, 12:47:17 AM »

Hmm . . .

It is FirefoxESR 38.5.0 that is packaged with RHEL-6. Checking the RAM used, I see it is only 509.7 MB
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #37 on: January 15, 2016, 07:23:35 AM »

On my system, Pale Moon (spinoff of Firefox 25.x) is currently taking less than 300 MB. I wonder whether some addons are responsible for excessive memory use?
  Eric

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP CF
« Reply #38 on: January 15, 2016, 08:21:39 AM »

Just a thought.   This is something Ive mentioned to a few people over the past couple of weeks, but firefox has become increasingly slow for me and Im even considering permanently swapping over to another browser because of this.    Im getting quite used to it now crashing every other day.. and it has become sluggish and slow.    There is definitely some sort of memory issue with it which I have noticed will cause slowness.  Its not unusual for it to be taking anything up to 4GB of my RAM and Ive even seen it at 6GB once.   Its currently at 1.8GB of RAM for me, and thats with me force crashing it from task manager just this morning.  Once it consumes about 2-3GB it starts slowing down everything I am doing.

yeah its broken in my view.

To fix crashes using a 64bit build is probably enough.

Problem is 64bit builds dont fix the slowdowns and cycle collector hangs.

Chrome is not only faster but its also way more stable, if for some reason a tab will crash it wont crash the entire browser either.  It does slow down if you have many tabs open like me but only a small amount, not severe like firefox.

Firefox E10 can be enabled even in stable builds now but some extensions break including noscript and it seems to be implemented badly as it doesnt yield the speed gains I would expect, it makes startups way faster and reduces hangs a lot, but general sluggyness remains.  I think the core problem is down to aggressive heavy cycle and garbage collection code in firefox but the dev's stubbornly wont add an option to disable it.

Opera is probably the best port of chrome if you want a port not made by google.  Opera is 32bit only tho.  Also I think none of the ports have the DRM codecs needed for things like netflix, only chrome has it (not 100% sure).

Finally a lot of privacy related stuff can be disabled using command line options, here is my launch batch file I use to move temp files to my ramdisk and adjust lots of security and performance settings.

Code: [Select]
start chrome.exe --cipher-suite-blacklist=0x009c,0xc009,0xc00a,0xcc15,0x009e --enable-ssl-false-start --disable-3d-apis --disable-backing-store-limit --disable-breakpad --disable-client-side-phishing-detection --disable-cloud-import --disable-direct-write --disable-directwrite-for-ui --disable-java --disable-password-generation --disable-preconnect --enable-remote-fonts --disable-webgl --disable-webrtc --disk-cache-dir=R:/CHROME2 --disk-cache-size=524288000 --dns-prefetch-disable --enable-async-dns  --disable-potentially-annoying-security-features --disableOFF-precise-memory-info --disable-strict-mixed-content-checking --enable-strict-powerful-feature-restrictions --enable-smooth-scrolling --enable-tcp-fastopen --processOFF-per-tab --disable-background-mode --no-pings --purge-memory-button --enable-offline-auto-reload-visible-only --disable-sync --disable-offline-pages
« Last Edit: January 15, 2016, 08:27:51 AM by Chrysalis »

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #39 on: January 15, 2016, 09:15:38 PM »

The kitz forum went down for a few minutes 14/1/2016 just after 8pm noticed this while reading a  forum page and then selected the next page this then showed up on the browers as a infinite refresh and then page timed out error.

tickmike

• Kitizen
« Reply #40 on: January 15, 2016, 10:17:25 PM »

I use the latest Linux Firefox 43.0.4 and it's using about 571MB and I do not have any problems with the other Tabs I have, it does not tend to crash.

tickmike

• Kitizen
« Reply #41 on: January 20, 2016, 02:25:37 PM »

Had more delay at 14.15 today.
Not sure if below is any help.
Tried refreshing page and did same lots of times.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #42 on: January 20, 2016, 03:36:10 PM »

Ive just sat here for about the past 45 mins or so trying to replicate this, but unfortunately I really cant. 

Even clearing cache and pulling everything afresh to get the longest load time possible results in the following results (image below) from here, which is quite a bit further north than you.

From your cap, the longest items to call are the Paypal logo (which is hosted on my server) and something which I find rather strange is that tabmenu_left load quite quickly, yet there is a noticeable delay for the tabmenu_right.    Im wondering if there is some packet loss going on? 

Does anyone else have any suggestions please?

*I cant seem to log into MDWS atm to check your line stats.

-----

d2d4j

• Kitizen
« Reply #43 on: January 20, 2016, 03:53:52 PM »

Hi

You could try pingdom for an external load test and there's another external website testing site but I just cannot remember it's URL right now

This should give you a better idea, of any issues and what potentially maybe delaying your site

If you suspect packet loss, you could use pathping from your PC to site and from server (if you have direct access to server) to see if any packets are lost and where there lost

If it's shared hosting, your provider should have a status page or issue page to have a quick check on

I hope that helps a little and sorry if I'm wrong

Many thanks

John

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #44 on: January 20, 2016, 04:13:38 PM »

All seems ok for me from here so I didnt previously attempt to load externally.   However Ive just completed an external test from New York NY

Code: [Select]
Test performed from: New York, NY
Test performed at: 2016-01-20 15:57:25 (GMT +00:00)
Resolved As: xx.xx
Response Time: 0.946 sec
DNS: 0.089 sec
Connect: 0.091 sec

I also external monitor using pingdom which should sent me an alert if there is an issue.
Im not on shared hosting, Its my own server with 24/7 managed support.   I have WHM and cPanel which show me server status.  Server load, memory, disk etc all good and well within what they should be.

Waiting the results of a more intensive test from gtmetrix Canada.   
- Results are good except a couple of suggestions..   some of which arent applicable (such as use CDN or make fewer http requests) .  The only improvement it suggests is using gzip compression.   3.5 seconds for full page load to Canada from the UK is pretty damn good.
-----
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5

anything