Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5

Author Topic: Site sluggishness  (Read 18434 times)

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
Re: Site sluggishness
« Reply #15 on: January 12, 2016, 02:08:57 PM »

Server stats & database all look good.   No issues with the forum logs which look pretty error free [tapatalk dependencies may have had some issues on the 4th but very minor]   Although not much use looking now as load is a real time thing, but the load seems perfectly fine and there is plenty of processing power and RAM to spare.     

reading code.jquery.com
There are a few scripts that need external dependencies.. ie the cookie legislation script that by EU law I have to display. (which is what the jquery one relates to).   If those are slow or if there is a routing issue, then that will slow down the loading of html pages.    I switched the script last year and where the dependency was previously hosted from because that was causing slowness unrelated to the site.  The other dependencies I use are google ad related.

Thanks for letting me know, I'll try keep an eye on things.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP CF
« Reply #16 on: January 12, 2016, 02:29:17 PM »

wonder if the bbc ddos attacks have affected other sites, apparently the attack was/is huge.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #17 on: January 12, 2016, 04:54:24 PM »

I dont know for certain,  but based on what ronski said, I too would guess it may be google related as rather than the previous geo-location dependency which was slowing down lots of sites (I believe MDWS had a similar issue) I started using the google hosted one*.    With LL mentioning the jquery.com stall, then that would perhaps suggest to the google cookie legislation script which I use. 

I too have noticed issues with google searches over the past few days where it becomes unresponsive or slow...  but as I had been using a mobile device (over wifi) I didnt bother looking into it.   I certainly dont have any BBC dependencies, and not sure how or if that could affect any routing.   Could it cause issues at some peering?

*Blame EU legislation for these sorts of scripts which are the bane of EU sites that comply with cookie compliance laws and which have become a bit of a headache at times. As website owners you are supposed to check if the visitor is from within the EU, then if they are ensure that the relevant cookie script is displayed.

Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----

loonylion

• Reg Member
« Reply #18 on: January 12, 2016, 04:58:10 PM »

With LL mentioning the jquery.com stall, then that would perhaps suggest to the google cookie legislation script which I use. 

The stall as displayed in firebug was minor, the html page itself spent over 600ms in waiting state, the jquery one was 50-60ms, which was still a lot greater than anything else.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #19 on: January 12, 2016, 05:16:32 PM »

I'm really not sure what caused it :(

The only other thing I have noticed of late is the google ad displayed which says "APNIC. Thank you for helping us measure the internet".
Im not too concerned with it being APNIC but wondered what it was all about.  I did a bit of searching and it would appear APINIC are using google ads on some websites to measure the reach & penetration of IPv6 addresses on the internet. 

PS they also say in the documentation.
IPv6 measurement
If you see the advert
PLEASE DON’T CLICK ON IT
(it costs us more)
« Last Edit: January 12, 2016, 05:21:43 PM by kitz »
-----

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #20 on: January 12, 2016, 06:40:20 PM »

Google Maps was dreadfully slow this afternoon, but I've not noticed any problems with the Kitz forum, or any other sites, just Google.
Formerly restrained by ECI and ali,  now surfing along at 550/52  ;D

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP CF
« Reply #21 on: January 12, 2016, 06:58:42 PM »

I dont know for certain,  but based on what ronski said, I too would guess it may be google related as rather than the previous geo-location dependency which was slowing down lots of sites (I believe MDWS had a similar issue) I started using the google hosted one*.    With LL mentioning the jquery.com stall, then that would perhaps suggest to the google cookie legislation script which I use. 

I too have noticed issues with google searches over the past few days where it becomes unresponsive or slow...  but as I had been using a mobile device (over wifi) I didnt bother looking into it.   I certainly dont have any BBC dependencies, and not sure how or if that could affect any routing.   Could it cause issues at some peering?

*Blame EU legislation for these sorts of scripts which are the bane of EU sites that comply with cookie compliance laws and which have become a bit of a headache at times. As website owners you are supposed to check if the visitor is from within the EU, then if they are ensure that the relevant cookie script is displayed.

Thats what I meant, the attack may have been big enough to saturate some transit links, but who knows.

You cannot run that script locally? Running scripts on a remote source is bad for security and performance.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #22 on: January 12, 2016, 07:52:52 PM »

Its the jquery DOM.    Its recommended that you dont host it locally and use an eternal source.
http://encosia.com/3-reasons-why-you-should-let-google-host-jquery-for-you/

Although the code to run the script is on the page itself, the libraries have to also be loaded.  I cant recall offhand now but Im pretty sure I refer to google for jquery with the fallback to jquery.com by default.  Seeing LL's mention of a call to jquery.com is what made me think it is going to be one of the google scripts..  most likely the cookie one.   
I dont host the jquery libraries locally as I dont want to have to keep up with the various versions myself.
-----

tickmike

• Kitizen
  • Yes Another Penguin !. :)
« Reply #23 on: January 12, 2016, 11:45:43 PM »

It took me a good minute to 'post' this afternoon and pages where very slow to load.
I have a set of 6 fixed IP's From  Eclipse  isp.BT ADSL2(G992.3) line>HG612 as a Modem, Bridge, WAN Not Bound to LAN1 or 2 + Also have FTTP (G.984) No One isp Fixed IP >Dual WAN pfSense (Hardware Firewall and routing).> Two WAN's, Ethernet LAN, DMZ LAN, Zyxel GS1100-24 Switch.

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP CF
« Reply #24 on: January 13, 2016, 12:08:53 PM »

dont agree with encosia personally, I think their only partially valid point is the caching.

Modern browsers allow more than 2 connections per hostname they all decided to ignore the RFC now, not only that but keepalive (default in all modern browsers) will allow objects from the same hostname to be sent over one connection, so obviously this is a time and resource saver as it means no extra dns lookups, no new connections etc.

I understand the point you made regarding jquery libraries, but I guess if its slowing down your site too much it may need a rethink.

Of course we dont know if this is the reason, personally I have not had any lag on here for many weeks.  The lag stopped for me when someone fixed their sig which was causing me hangs. :p

I suggest next time someone see's lag, is to refresh the page with developer mode enabled in the browser and that will pinpoint which request is slow.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #25 on: January 13, 2016, 06:08:59 PM »

It took me a good minute to 'post' this afternoon and pages where very slow to load

I was around and using the site most of yesterday afternoon and evening:  ie from 2pm onwards and up until quite late, and I didnt see anything or experience any lag.   Anyone else have probs yesterday afternoon and if so which ISP?   Trying to find out if it could be routing. 
-----

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
« Reply #26 on: January 13, 2016, 06:11:58 PM »

For me, it was ok on Tuesday. I was using the site in the afternoon.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #27 on: January 13, 2016, 06:16:22 PM »

Nothing was noticed by me, yesterday, Tuesday 12th January.

(Like as Weaver mentioned, it was the afternoon and evening of Monday 11th January when I was experiencing the sluggishness.)
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #28 on: January 13, 2016, 06:33:17 PM »

No problems for me on Tuesday, either.
  Eric

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen