Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Obtaining the IP address of the PPPoE Failed - help please  (Read 16101 times)

eetc

• Just arrived
Obtaining the IP address of the PPPoE Failed - help please
« on: January 11, 2016, 03:21:23 PM »

I need a little help please...

I currently have BT Infinity FTTC with an ECI modem and HomeHub 3. I want to get rid of the HomeHub as I have Open-Mesh wireless devices so it is just an extra component. I picked up a Huawei HG612 on eBay after reading many posts on here, so I could unlock it and have it act as the modem and router. Seems straight forward enough but has turned out not to be.

I flashed the B030SP08 firmware (with GUI) on to it without issue but could not get it to connect. To cut a long story short, I followed the instructions to set it up and then spend a couple of weeks Googling to see if I had not understood the settings and I was doing something wrong and got to he point where was sure I had the right settings. Along the way I connected a Checkpoint Safe@Office router in place of the HomeHub to confirm whether I needed the actual username/password as opposed to bthomehub@btbroadband.com / BT and that would only successfully connect with my username/password. So with that knowledge I have used that user/password combination on the HG612 as well as the regular bthomehub@btbroadband.com but to no avail.

My (significant) settings are:

PTM
DSL Latency:    Path 0
PTM Priority:    Normal Priority

WAN
Layer2 interface:    ptm1/(ptm1_0_1)
WAN connection:    Enabled
Service list:    INTERNET
Port binding:    none
Connection mode:    Route
Connection type:    PPPoE
WAN 802.1q:    Enabled
VLAN ID:    101
WAN 802.1p:    Enabled
Value:    0    - I have tried 2 as well
NAT:    Enabled
Username / password... my user and password as I have noted but also the regular bthomehub user tried
Authentication mode:    Auto
Dialing method:    Auto

The DSL syncs with no issue showing attainable speed of 83 Mbps down and 33 Mbps up and as I normally achieve 74 and 19 this seams reasonable. In the WAN network status I can see my IP and gateway as well as the DNS servers so the DSL is clearly up and ok.

Using the Auto Diagnose in Maintenance I get DSL status - connected but PPPoE status shows 'Obtaining the IP address of the PPPoE Failed'.

On my journey I have flashed back to the SP06 version and back to SP08, reset to default settings and checked the version of my cabinet, which is Huawei and is less than 200 yard away. I have also left the modem off for a while between swapping over and left the HG612 connected for a while in case it needs time the first time but I might expect that of the DSL connection not the PPPoE.

I have done a lot of Googling and read many posts here and now I am stuck so time to put my hand up for some help. Am I am missing something?

Chris

Dray

• Kitizen
Re: Obtaining the IP address of the PPPoE Failed - help please
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2016, 04:07:57 PM »

What username and password was the Homehub3 using with the ECI modem?

eetc

• Just arrived
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2016, 04:22:04 PM »

Hi Dray

BT HomeHub uses bthomehub@btbroadband.com with no password.

Cheers

Chris

Dray

• Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2016, 05:12:25 PM »

That indicates you have a BT residential connection as the username is different for BT Business. I have used a HG612 in the past successfully with the settings you list (and WAN 802.1p: 2) with username bthomehub@btbroadband.com and BT as the password running as a router. I didn't have much luck with a different username.

As you say, your WAN settings are fine as you get sync, it's just the PPPOE authentication.

Did you try selecting PAP or CHAP Authentication mode instead of auto?

Have you got a ptm1.301?

eetc

• Just arrived
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2016, 05:21:16 PM »

Correct it is residential.

I deleted ptm1.301

I am pretty sure I have set PAP and CHAP individually but I better check that again (which will impress the kids now they are home).

Dray

• Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2016, 05:43:03 PM »

I deleted ptm1.301
I disabled mine. Never got around to deleting it.

eetc

• Just arrived
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2016, 07:31:35 PM »

Bingo! Sorted. Thanks Dray. It turns out that I needed to specify CHAP for authentication. Having Auto fail on selecting CHAP/PAP is a bit surprising... It also seems that the username can be either bthomehub@btbroadband.com or my own BT account user (the user that I log on to BT Fon while out as opposed to my billing user).

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.

Chris

eetc

• Just arrived
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2016, 07:33:18 PM »

Oh, and the PPPoE failure was irrelevant as that is still being flagged as failing in the auto-test function!

Dray

• Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2016, 09:04:25 PM »

Wow, good news! Cheers :)

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2016, 10:39:12 PM »

As those details regarding authentication are important, I've set this thread as "Sticky".

A good result, with thanks to Dray's help.  :)
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

Dray

• Kitizen
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2016, 11:05:53 PM »

;D

anything