Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Wireless Broadband advice Asus & Billion (VDSL2)  (Read 4486 times)

Marksp

• Just arrived
Wireless Broadband advice Asus & Billion (VDSL2)
« on: January 10, 2016, 07:25:13 PM »

I'd very much like some informed opinions on a couple of router choices.

I run a small business and sometimes work from home and have just ordered superfast broadband VDSL2 (FTTC), upgrading from ADSL2.

I'm looking to replace my Billion BiPac 7800N rather than connect ewan to a separate VDSL2 modem which I will have to buy (my ISP Plusnet now provides self-install only, ie no modem).

I've considered using the Plusnet Hub One supplied (a rebadged Home Hub5) as a modem only. Whilst it's technically possible, it's time I don't want to spend and by all accounts the modem could be better.

My primary router requirements are;
- a rock-solid vdsl2 connection, supporting G.INP, with good performance
- good wireless performance and range (I live in a stone built house with very thick walls
- good wireless ac (I have clients which are ac ready)
- good Ip6 implementation

It'd be useful to be able to get line stats as I've had a number of issues using voip on this line (which now seem to be solved thanks to data monitoring on my line from my voip provider). In summary the ping times were very variable anywhere between 30ms up to 400ms. Smokeping highlighted this and focus plusnet into delivering solution. I'm aware I still get ping times up at 400ms in the early hours of the morning for some reason but this isn't a problem for me. Download speeds are consistently in the region of 17mbps.

A router with a good user interface and setup would be handy, but not a prime consideration as I'm reasonably network savvy (at least for IPv4).

I'm considering the following;
Billion BiPAC 8900AX-1600 R2
ASUS dsl ac68U

The Billion 8900 hasn't been released in the Uk but is supposedly imminent. It's the successor to the BiPAC 8800AXL which has been discontinued. The 8900 supposedly addresses the poor wifi performance/range of the 8800 and I assume it will have the same broadcom vdsl2 chipset.

My broadband goes live on the 20th Jan so my router decision may be made for me by virtue of router availability!

Any advice appreciated.

Many thanks

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
Re: Wireless Broadband advice Asus & Billion (VDSL2)
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2016, 08:05:47 PM »

Hello Marksp. Welcome to the Kitz forum.

I've read though you requirements and I would definitely say "no" to the BT HH5A or HH5B, no matter how "prettily" Plusnet repackage it! At worst, a HH5 might just be acceptable when installed behind a dedicated VDSL2 modem.

As for the other two devices you mention, it would be difficult to recommend the Billion as it is still an "unknown". I have a vague feeling that the Asus device has been "found wanting" by others. I'm sure someone will comment in the next few hours . . .

I wonder if the TP-Link Archer VR900 will be suitable for your requirements? Perhaps it might be worth investigating?
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2016, 08:13:14 PM »

Does the tp-Link speak IPv6?

currytop

• Reg Member
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2016, 08:24:52 PM »

Does the tp-Link speak IPv6?

Yes - and includes a DHCPv6 server!

jaggythistle

« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2016, 11:21:57 AM »

My thoughts having just upgraded to BT Infiniity 1 recently and needing vdsl kit. I can't be certain over the performance of the Asus dsl-ac68, but the number of reviews criticising the modem was enough to convince me not to buy. I ended up going for a separate modem and router combo, with a HG612 modem I picked up for a sensible price off eBay (now unlocked with the help and Howlingwolf's firmware on this forum) and the Asus RT-ac68u (router only version). I'm now a convert to the flexibility of having these separate, and being able to reboot the router without disconnects is a major plus (if you or the boss can live with the extra box and wiring, happily my better half was fine with it).

The Asus router has been rock solid so far, and is also very easy to get custom firmware on it. Still early days as only had the Asus up and running for a few weeks, but with the Merlin custom fw on it I have all the functionality I need. It has improved wireless range in my house dramatically with no drop outs (HH5 would frequently drop 5ghz on our droid phones), and the adaptive QoS seems to work well for prioritising Netflix/Amazon streaming. Don't use voip though and of course wireless performance will differ, but I wouldn't hesitate to recommend the Asus router. I have a NAS, homeplug circuit, Vodafone suresignal hooked up plus lan link back to the modem which takes up the 4 Ethernet ports but a switch would give you more if need be.

My only issue with this setup is now worrying about my line stats but that's for another thread!

I'm on the phone atm, so having to "fly-by-tapatalk"

Marksp

• Just arrived
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2016, 07:57:41 PM »

My thoughts having just upgraded to BT Infiniity 1 recently and needing vdsl kit. I can't be certain over the performance of the Asus dsl-ac68, but the number of reviews criticising the modem was enough to convince me not to buy. I ended up going for a separate modem and router combo, with a HG612 modem I picked up for a sensible price off eBay (now unlocked with the help and Howlingwolf's firmware on this forum) and the Asus RT-ac68u (router only version). I'm now a convert to the flexibility of having these separate, and being able to reboot the router without disconnects is a major plus (if you or the boss can live with the extra box and wiring, happily my better half was fine with it).

The Asus router has been rock solid so far, and is also very easy to get custom firmware on it. Still early days as only had the Asus up and running for a few weeks, but with the Merlin custom fw on it I have all the functionality I need. It has improved wireless range in my house dramatically with no drop outs (HH5 would frequently drop 5ghz on our droid phones), and the adaptive QoS seems to work well for prioritising Netflix/Amazon streaming. Don't use voip though and of course wireless performance will differ, but I wouldn't hesitate to recommend the Asus router. I have a NAS, homeplug circuit, Vodafone suresignal hooked up plus lan link back to the modem which takes up the 4 Ethernet ports but a switch would give you more if need be.

My only issue with this setup is now worrying about my line stats but that's for another thread!

I'm on the phone atm, so having to "fly-by-tapatalk"

Thanks for posting,  much appreciated. I too was put off by the bad reviews at first,  but they seemed to stop ~Oct 2015 after a few are update. Can you point me at bad reviews since then which I might have missed. Thanks

jaggythistle

« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2016, 12:25:09 PM »

Thanks for posting,  much appreciated. I too was put off by the bad reviews at first,  but they seemed to stop ~Oct 2015 after a few are update. Can you point me at bad reviews since then which I might have missed. Thanks

Sounds like you probably covered the same reviews/threads as I did (got my RT mid Dec).  Main sites I looked at were Amazon reviews, broadbandbuyer reviews (only 10 user reviews though), the Kitz thread (of course) http://forum.kitz.co.uk/index.php/topic,14399.0.html , and this OC thread http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?t=18606945 starting at last page and working backwards.

Like most things of course, there are also poor reviews of the RT I bought so research only helps so far, at some point we end up having to take an educated/informed punt and buy in order to try.  I admit I did originally want an all-in-one solution, but my decision on balance was to go with the separate modem and router kit - I'm also a bit of a flash-aholic  :) though so the ability to install custom firmware, as well as different flavours of firmware available was also a deciding factor for me.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2016, 05:02:03 PM »

Here is a recent (January 2016) Thinkbroadband forum thread concerning the Asus DSL-AC68U.
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.