Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Netgear DG834v4 problem  (Read 6459 times)

feliscatusx2

• Reg Member
Netgear DG834v4 problem
« on: January 14, 2013, 05:33:49 PM »

I have had the above Router for around 2 years, it has survived a house move and very temporary setup arrangements.  Recently it has refused to connect when the PC is started until the router is rebooted.

So, I thought, 2 years is an OKish life for a router; Amazon had an identical new one for around £38, so this was purchased and installed.  After about 4 days the new router is exhibiting exactly the same problem.

This tends to suggest that the problem is not with the router but either with the PC, phone line or the ISP.

Router No 1 was using DGTeam firmware v.5.01.16

Router No 2 is using the supplied software/firmware v.5.01.16

Both are using OpenDNS DNS servers

Nothing significant has changed in the PC Software:

OS is Windows xpSP3
Main browser is Pale Moon 15.3.2
Firewall is Private firewall 7.0.28.1

Not much in the router log:-

Sat, 2000-01-01 00:01:01 - Initialize LCP.
Sat, 2000-01-01 00:01:01 - LCP is allowed to come up.
Sat, 2000-01-01 00:01:02 - CHAP authentication success
Sat, 2000-01-01 00:01:08 - Send out NTP request to time-g.netgear.com
Mon, 2013-01-14 15:35:14 - Receive NTP Reply from time-g.netgear.com
Mon, 2013-01-14 16:34:05 - Router start up
Mon, 2013-01-14 16:59:09 - Administrator login successful - IP:192.168.0.2

The system Event Viewer has the following:-

The IP address lease 192.168.0.1 for the Network Card with network
address  001xxxxxxxxx has been denied by the DHCP server 192.168.0.1
[ The DHCP Server sent a DHCPNACK message].

Microsoft give the following explanation:-

Explanation
The DHCP Server service did not extend the lease on your computer's IP address, so your computer temporarily lost its connection with the network.

This could be caused by a scope change. For example, when a roaming laptop moves from one network to another, its IP address lease might need renewal. When the DHCP Client service tries to renew the address, that request might go to a different server that will not extend the lease either because it does not know about this address lease or because it has already issued the address lease to another client.

This also happens when two DHCP servers are configured to give out addresses in the same IP address range.

User Action
No user action is required. The DHCP Client service will continue trying to obtain a working IP address until it succeeds, and DHCP establishes the network connection on its own.

I suspect this may be the problem, but is there anything I can do about it http://forum.kitz.co.uk/Smileys/kitzemotes/cry.gif ?

Some people are like slinkies: they don't really have a purpose, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.

sheddyian

• Kitizen
    • My Shed Blog
Re: Netgear DG834v4 problem
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2013, 06:04:39 PM »

If I'm reading that log right, the computer has the same ip address as the router.

Try this :

Open a command prompt window

type :

ipconfig /release

ipconfig /renew

Which might help things along.

Ian

feliscatusx2

• Reg Member
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2013, 07:52:44 PM »

I think you are right, I never spotted that http://forum.kitz.co.uk/Smileys/kitzemotes/embarrassed.gif .

I've put the 2 commands into a batch file and will run it next time all freezes.

Thanks very much
Some people are like slinkies: they don't really have a purpose, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.

sheddyian

• Kitizen
    • My Shed Blog
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2013, 08:12:24 PM »

No problem  :)

Just an idle thought - if your replacement modem is the same as the old one, have you tried swapping the power adaptors round?

The problems on the old modem might be caused by the power adaptor going under voltage when the thing is running.

Ian

feliscatusx2

• Reg Member
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2013, 10:08:51 AM »

The power bricks are different, at least in shape.  Started up OK this AM - no problems at all.  I think you have cracked it kind Sir.

Why is it I only post on this site when I have a problem?

feliscatusx2

• Reg Member
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2013, 11:40:14 AM »

I am still getting the problem from time to time.  Running ipconfig (thanks Ian) as above takes only a few minutes, but does anybody know why this is happening?

sheddyian

• Kitizen
    • My Shed Blog
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2013, 02:19:30 PM »

Have you got the computer set as a fixed ip address in the tcp/ip config?

Go to control panel, network connections, then right click on the Local Area Connection listed there, and choose properties. 

Scroll down the list to find Internet Protocol and click properties.

Unless there's a reason why you've changed it, it should be set to "Obtain an IP address automatically"

Ian

feliscatusx2

• Reg Member
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2013, 05:14:16 PM »

Already checked that, all OK.  We are having problems with our BT line, but I can't see that would change IP addresses.

feliscatusx2

• Reg Member
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2013, 04:44:07 PM »

BT appear to have fixed the line, and, thus far, the modem problems appear to have gone away.  Fingers firmly crossed.

I have been checking speeds at http://www.speedtest.net and they have increased from an average of 6Mb to 6.5Mb.  Ping is around 22 to 25 Ms.

Now I know the square root of **** all about ping, so is this good?

sheddyian

• Kitizen
    • My Shed Blog
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2013, 05:06:07 PM »

I'm pleased the problem has gone away, but it's a bit odd, unless the modem was crashing with the line fault (seems unlikely) I can't see why it'd give out IP addresses already in use.

Are there any other devices on the network? Other computers? Set top boxes? Wireless devices - Kindles, phones, iPads etc ?

If you've got several devices, and you reset the modem, it no longer knows which addresses are in use, and can issue what it thinks is an unused one when in reality it's still being used by a device that's been on since before the modem was reset.

But allocating the same ip address that the modem itself is using seems odd.  Thats why I'm asking if there's any other devices?  Wonder if there's something else that's also being a DHCP server?

Does anyone else here have any alternative suggestions?

Ian

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2013, 06:30:17 PM »

Ping is around 22 to 25 Ms.

Now I know the square root of **** all about ping, so is this good?

'Ping' is just the measure of latency of the circuit. I hope you intended to mean 22 - 25 ms for your ping . . .  :-\

Ms == megaseconds i.e. 10+6
ms == milliseconds i.e. 10-3

Just a difference of one thousand million (i.e. 10+9)!  :P

Is 22 - 25 ms a good ping? Well compared to mine (51 - 59 ms), yes. Assuming you do not play shoot 'em up on-line games, where you need to have 'instantaneous' response, then do not be too concerned about the value of 'ping'.

If you are concerned about your 'ping', then do not bother looking at the values returned by Speedtest.Net but check the value by performing your own checks to the same site. One popular site ping'd by 'ping' obsessives is the BBC . . .  :-X
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

feliscatusx2

• Reg Member
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2013, 08:58:25 PM »

Ian - no, there are no other devices attached, just the PC and me.  The more recent crashes seem to have a different cause, probably BT playing with the line.

burakkucat - I asked about ping values simply because I was interested, having seen the figures on the Speedtest site.  I have a vague idea what ping is but am somewhat lacking in the what is a Good or Bad ping area.  Thanks for the explanation.

RaceQuest

• Just arrived
    • Scott
« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2016, 10:13:24 AM »

I am still getting the problem from time to time.  Running ipconfig (thanks Ian) as above takes only a few minutes, but does anybody know why this is happening?

I realise your problem was resolved 3yrs ago. I have a theory - it could be caused if "192.168.0.1" is in your DHCP address range.

Have you setup both modems with DHCP address range START IP = 192.168.0.1  (normally is would be a value like 192.168.0.10)?

Did you go back to the modem with the DGteam firmware or update your current modem to dgteam firmware?

feliscatusx2

• Reg Member
« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2016, 05:38:08 PM »

The problem has never repeated so I have made no further investigations.  Download speed did drop to around 1.6 recently but has now recovered to 7.  This figure seems good for an ADSL2 connection some distance from the exchange so I am leaving everything severly alone until I go for Fibre.

Thank you for your interest however

anything