Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Wierd BT Master Box setup..need advice!!!!  (Read 17315 times)

tuk

Wierd BT Master Box setup..need advice!!!!
« on: March 17, 2008, 06:20:49 PM »

Im trying to figure out my BT setup as Im about rewire my house for phone and broadband.

The problem is my 'Drop Wire' enters by the kitchen.
It then connects to a small yellow oval box(BT 60-70's style)) which doesn't seem like the master box, when i look inside(its a mess) from what i can see 4 wires come in and 4 wires go out.
The 4 wires coming out go through to the living room and connect to what looks like a modern type Master Box(bottom faceplate etc), I can also see 2 wires emerging from this Box for the extensions so this does look like a Master Box.

To me it looks like the oval thingy in the kitchen is the old 'Master Box' and everything after this box has been installed a'la non BT including the modern master box.

...so Im thinking I can rewire everything after the oval box without tampering with BT's equipement?????

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
Re: Wierd BT Master Box setup..need advice!!!!
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2008, 06:51:30 PM »

Not officially, no. BT own everything up to the master socket, and you do need the master socket because it contains surge suppressing components and other things. Your best technical option would be to replace the master socket faceplate with a filtered faceplate, and connect your extensions to that. The possible downside of that is that you would have to position your modem/router close to the master socket, but it would give you the best performance.
  Eric

Ezzer

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2008, 07:08:14 PM »

The small yellow thing is a "Block terminal" essentialy not a master socket, it's just a connection point between your drop wire and the internal Cable (lead-in) which leads up to what you describe as the master socket. and this is all part of BTw monopoly wiring. To get this moved/changed etc is done by BT and yes will involve a charge.

From the master socket faceplate you can fit your own internal wiring, the best cheepest way is obtaining cableing from a diy store along with an insertion tool, the basic ones cost about 70p but if your going to fit a number of sockets it's worth investing in the full blown idc tool as it makes life a lot easyer. ;D

Colour codes, blue wire with white rings go in termination number 2,
white wire with blue rings go in termination number 5 (both of these are the voice & dsl wires)
Orange wire with white rings goes in no.3 (bell wire which gets phones to ring in all your extentions)
any others are spare, so if you have a 2nd line a single 6 wire cable can support this.

Spere wires don't coild them around the cable, looks neat, old practice but causes problems with data, and the same thing don't coild them round in a nice ring, (coil the surplus in a coil then flatten the coil so they just run back & forth

Don't put more than 3 wires in any idc, always hold the insertion tool straight before terminating (failure on both these can cause a fault which is infuriating to locate) ???

Run cable at least 50mm away from mains cables for any lenght.
run the cable along the top of skirting boards and around the top of door frames.
Never under carpet or across high foot traffic areas such as the floors across doors (guaranteed fault sometime in the future)
If you have a profiled skiting board then running the cable along the profile is ideal as particuarly after a coat of paint it should really look as it its part of the moulding. (only problem here is if some one later cuts through the cable while working on the skirting board. spent hour one morling with an 85m run only for the dial tone to dissapear mid test. Then found the chippys mate complete with saw in hand >:()

Only use staples if the stapler is tapered (otherwise your guaranteed to pass a staple somewhere through the cable) don't use a stapler if the staples are tight on the cable causing a pin-cusion effect (lots of little dsl faults)
Easyest method is to use cleats, not as pretty, but a lot easyer.

And before putting a staple/cleat in make sure your not about to put it through an exising cable which looks like part of a door frame/skirting board (done that my 1st time :-[)

If your looking to completely sort everything, best option is look to use an adsl face plate. The main problem is the master socket is the only plase with a dsl signal, all your extentions will just have normal telephony. You can have brand new perfectly fitted extention wiring & still find it kills your internet connection :no:

Or stuff the whole idea and just go for cordless, phones and router  ;D

(I've also listed all this in case anyone reading this is thinking/doing the same or trying to locate what might be causing an issue on dsl with their internal wiring)

tuk

« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2008, 11:42:52 PM »

Thanks for all the prompt and detailed info guys, much appreciated.

Lots to think about..it would be nice to have an adsl faceplate, but it would have to be in the Living Room and thats the only place I don't need a BB terminal.  I wish I could at least replace the wiring between the 'Block Terminal' and the Master socket cos it looks terrible..the BlockTerminal is practically hanging off the wall with too much surplus wiring inside u can hardly close the lid without crushing it..

I would like to rewire with the finest materials available creating the terminals shown in pic 2..so any input from you guys would be good, wireless is a consideration but only if its as fast or faster than using wire..and even then Id still rather use wire to avoid living with excess radio signals...also I cant have any lag issues for Gaming purposes..even if the lag is tiny...so minimizing total cable length etc is essential

The other things is, and i don't even know if this is possible???, Bed 1,2 each need to have a separate router using the same BB obviously, sometimes only 1 router will be on and other times both will be on...but basically they need to work independently of each other

Pic 1: Current wiring situation, although I seem to get decent attenuation in 'Bed 2':

Uptime:   0 days, 4:17:31
Modulation:   G.992.1 Annex A
Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]:   448 / 5,600
Data Transferred (Sent/Received) [MB/MB]:   107.27 / 705.95
Output Power (Up/Down) [dBm]:   12.0 / 19.5
Line Attenuation (Up/Down) [dB]:   19.5 / 32.0
SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]:   26.0 / 11.0
Vendor ID (Local/Remote):   TMMB / TSTC
Loss of Framing (Local/Remote):   0 / 0
Loss of Signal (Local/Remote):   0 / 0
Loss of Power (Local/Remote):   0 / 0
Loss of Link (Remote):   0
Error Seconds (Local/Remote):   169 / 0
FEC Errors (Up/Down):   0 / 15,189
CRC Errors (Up/Down):   0 / 261
HEC Errors (Up/Down):   0 / 20

Pic 2: Is where I need tel and BB terminals

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: March 17, 2008, 11:52:08 PM by tuk »

Ezzer

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2008, 01:21:58 AM »

internal wiring dosn't have to be telecom dedicated. you could have a non wireless router. Typicaly they have 4 ethernet outputs. You could always fit cable using cat5 cable which would plug into the back of your router, and have a socket the other end via which a pc/laptop can plug into.

Remember the exchange can only speack to one modem at a time (or modem/router combination) although you can run a hub only unit from a router output

following may give an idea.

http://www.maplin.co.uk/Search.aspx?menuno=11716&FromMenu=y&doy=18m3&MenuName=Modular%20Wall%20Accessories

http://www.maplin.co.uk/family.aspx?menu=1668&MenuName=Wired+Networking&worldid=-3&doy=18m3

http://www.maplin.co.uk/Search.aspx?menuno=12568&FromMenu=y&doy=18m3&MenuName=Telephone%20Cables

setecio

• Reg Member
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2008, 10:18:54 PM »

Yes indeed, it would be nice to rewire that section between the block terminal and the mastersocket that looks so bad and might be causing problems. If you did, the block terminal and the BT mastersocket would remain, with new wiring between them - no BT engineer would see anything to question if they had to visit in the future. The only problem would be if you messed up the job and had to call BT out to fix your mistakes. You would then be in a bit of trouble as you aren't supposed to touch anything before the mastersocket. Pity you're not supposed to do it.

Why are 2 routers needed ? Don't hit me but I just need to check you do understand that a router can allow 2 PCs to use one broadband connection. I think the only way to be able to use 2 routers independently is to have 2 lines coming into the house, or one adsl and one virgin cable connection ... expensive.

jelv

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2008, 11:00:41 PM »

You don't need two routers to run two PC's! (and you can't have two routers on at the same time on one telephone line)

If you get a "4 port router" it will have four ethernet ports. You then run Cat 5e ethernet cable to each bedroom which will plug in to the back of the PC's. Both PC's can use the internet simultaneously. You could also put a ethernet switch (as many ports as you want) in a bedroom which would allow more PC's to be connected.

If the router was a wireless router (these frequently have 4 ethernet ports as well) you would be able to use several laptops, and the PC's in the bedrooms at the same time. Obviously the more devices using the internet at the same time will slow each of them down, but it should be perfectly usable for general browsing and email with up to 10 or 20 PC's :P
« Last Edit: March 18, 2008, 11:03:33 PM by jelv »
Broadband and Line rental: Zen Unlimited Fibre 2, Mobile: Vodaphone
Router: Fritz!Box 7530

tuk

« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2008, 01:21:52 AM »

Thanks, Iv read all your advice and hopefully understood, Iv posted the pic of my beta wiring plan, so basically I need tel and broadband in 3 rooms...let me know what you guys think
The only problem would be if you messed up the job and had to call BT out to fix your mistakes
Whats the worst that could happen, I mean as long as I follow wiring diagrams I should be ok right?..or is this harder than it seems

I was thinking 2 routers because both bedrooms need internet but the other bedroom wont always have access to the bedroom with the router(to turn it on), so I'm thinking of putting the router beside the 'Master Socket in the living room and running cat5e to each of the bedrooms..this will solve the 2 router thing as well as providing internet in the living room..so 3 for the price of 2 + router will provide occasional wireless access for using the lappy in the garden hehehe..cant wait to get started

Further questions..sorry ???
Bearing in mind I want to use the best materials to ensure the best connection possible and avoid any wierd internet lag issues when more than one pc is using the router..I need good connection for gaming..stable low ping etc...

1) I seen cat6-7 cable is available would this be better than cat5e..any disadvantages??
2) Will my wiring setup be compatible for adsl2 for when i get it in the summer
3) Is there any overhead from having the router next to the master socket in the living room as opposed to beside the PC in the bedroom(using normal short cable that comes with router)
4) Does an Ethernet switch allow multiple pc's to use 1 cat5e cable...Bedroom 2 will have 2 pc's needing wired internet access..so its something Il need to consider..is there an overhead compared to using separate cables from the router for each pc
5) Would this setup act like a home network, or would i have to wire differently to have a home network..like say an office..where multiple pc's can see each other as well as sharing internet
6) What do you think about taking the cable(Not the Red cable obviously) up through the loft and dropping it into the rooms at the desired places..maybe this would require shorter cable lengths than running it around door frames etc...
7) Ok, If I'm going to all this I may as well rewire between the  'Block Terminal' --> 'Master Socket.  Since BT put this wire in..British Gas have covered the wire with a vent shaft for the boiler...Is it possible to buy the exact same wire that BT use??..or could I use better cable??..and what about the BT and MS boxes can they be bought somewhere??..would BT notice

8. What good quality cable should I use for my tel. extensions...are their any issues from running it alongside the cat5e-7 cable

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: March 19, 2008, 01:45:20 AM by tuk »

jelv

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2008, 09:47:23 AM »

Unless you want Gigabit speeds between your PC's Cat 5e is perfectly adequate (you'd probably get away with Cat 5 - but I wouldn't recommend it). Cat 5e is fine fine 100MB speeds - remember the maximum you are going to get on ADSL2+ is 24MB so you will be future proof.

I'd strongly recommend having the router direct in to the master socket - extensions are a frequent cause of problems.

In the bedroom with multiple PC's you need a ethernet switch, e.g. http://www.ebuyer.com/product/26037 This will allow up to 4 PC's in that room (you plug the Cat 5e in to one of the 5 ports).

This will give you a full home network.

If going through the loft is easier - definitely do that.

You can't touch any wire before the master socket - only BT can do that.

Why don't you get a cordless phone with multiple handsets? Put the base unit near the master socket (but physically keep away from the router as much as possible and make sure router and phone are on totally different channels). That way you don't need extension wiring for the phones (and you'll have a phone you can use in the garden!).

soms

• Reg Member
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2008, 10:04:45 AM »

The one problem we found with a cordless suite registered to a single base was that only one handset could be used at any one time... It doesn't sound much but we were used to picking up the phone anywhere and "handing over" if you know what I mean.

we now use multiple bases+handsets now and we can do this again.

jelv

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2008, 10:24:16 AM »

True. We have one wired phone (in my office) and a single base unit - it does mean that we can both be talking to a daughter at the same time who is away at boarding school.

soms

• Reg Member
« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2008, 10:38:13 AM »

Just a note about the cat5e network cable...

Each length must be "point to point" so to speak - a single cable length must be connected to a single device at either end, be it the router, switch PC etc.

Just saying that as by the looks of the pic (which doesn't show where you would use a switch so appologies if this is something you already know) in Bed 2 you want two connections.

This is fine if you have a switch connected to the feed from the router and then cables to each PC/laptop/console etc but don't hardwire two cables into one - it doesn't work  ::)

I just mentioned it as I have met people who have not been fully aware of the principles of networking and have tried doing it that way.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2008, 11:00:24 AM »

Just as an aside I have BT Synergy 700 phones.  It has an "int" key - which has multi-purpose functions.  Paging, transfering calls between handsets and also what they call 3 way conversation which allows 2 phones to be talking to the external caller.  The later function only works if you use the synergy handsets registered to the same synergy base station and only 2 of any of the handsets can talk to the external call at the same time.

The phones are about 3 year old now so not sure if that model is still available, but even if it isnt I should imagine there would be a newer version with the same function.   Still worth having a wired phone though - cause the cordless ones dont work during a powercut.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2008, 11:44:12 AM »

Heh if you can remember how to transfer a call to another handset and remember which handset is which when you need to then you're doing way better than me :lol:

Wired is always better than wireless when building a network. Wireless is convenient but sooner or later someone else will use that channel - we've had this on the wireless LAN, DECT phones and even the doorbell! (I kid you not)

"This is fine if you have a switch connected to the feed from the router and then cables to each PC/laptop/console etc but don't hardwire two cables into one - it doesn't work"

soms - it does if you only want 100Mbps cabling as that only needs 4 wires, so you can run wiring for two 100Mbps sockets with one run of CAT5 cabling. Its a bit naughty and I really wouldn't recommend it anywhere other than in the home but you can get away with all sorts of bodges on 100Mbps ethernet :)

setecio

• Reg Member
« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2008, 12:01:11 PM »

If I understand your diagrams, you could put one ethernet cable from router to a switch in bed2, then from the switch - two cable stay in bed 2, one cable goes across to bed 1, and 1 cable goes down to the room below. Might simplify the wiring ?

Then get cordless phones which allow all the features that you require as mentioned above.
Pages: [1] 2