Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Greetings from Surrey  (Read 14684 times)

ryan2390

Greetings from Surrey
« on: January 07, 2016, 06:26:16 PM »

Hello All

My name is Ryan and while rooting around for information about 3rd party VDSL routers for my grandfather I happened upon this site and remembered an acquaintance suggested I should join.

I live in the rural village of Ockley in Surrey and in the part of the village in which I reside has recently been 'enabled' for FTTP. If permitted I would like to post in the FTTC/FTTP sub forum with a diary of sorts of the installation. If anyone has any suggestions as to how I might begin I would appreciate it.

Until then I can tell you that when I first moved here we had ADSL and a few years ago we got upgraded if you will to ADSL2 and now enjoy speeds of around 5.5Mbps down and 0.5Mbps up. On a good day with the wind in the right direction it can reach up to 6Mbps down. Not bad for a 5km line! I get a better sync speed than BT Home Hubs and for that matter the JDSU (I think it's called) equipment Openreach engineers use. Current equipment is an Asus DSL-N55U which I am also after getting some assistance with at some point. 

Anyway hope to learn a few things and maybe even dispense some things I have learned   :fingers:

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
Re: Greetings from Surrey
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2016, 06:31:41 PM »

Welcome Ryan!

ryan2390

« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2016, 06:44:58 PM »

Thank you very much Weaver.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2016, 06:47:04 PM »

Welcome Ryan. :)
  Eric

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2016, 07:15:36 PM »

Hi Ryan.  :)

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2016, 09:00:46 PM »

Hello Ryan, welcome to the Kitz forum.

Living in Ockley, Surrey, you are right in the region covered by Walter's Wheelbarrow. There is a good chance that it has trundled past your abode whilst assisting others with sub-optimal broadband connections.  :)
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

ryan2390

« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2016, 01:01:51 AM »

Hello Ryan, welcome to the Kitz forum.

Living in Ockley, Surrey, you are right in the region covered by Walter's Wheelbarrow. There is a good chance that it has trundled past your abode whilst assisting others with sub-optimal broadband connections.  :)

Walter's Wheelbarrow? Never head that before! But yes I was put in touch with Walter on Twitter via Chris Conder and he has been exceptionally helpful.

Thanks for the welcomes too. I take it you would be interested in what is happening with my FTTP installation?

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2016, 02:58:50 AM »

> I take it you would be interested in what is happening with my FTTP installation?

Very much so. Yes please!  ::)

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2016, 08:23:10 AM »

Oh, and I hate you Ryan  ???  ;D ;D ;D

<jk/>

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2016, 11:10:24 AM »

Hi Ryan and welcome to the forums.

Don't take Weavers joke to heart, he's just jealous. He's got three lines which are about 4.6 miles long and gets a combined 7Mbps or thereabouts.
Formerly restrained by ECI and ali,  now surfing along at 390/36  ;D

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2016, 11:20:54 AM »

Indeed, Ryan ! I'm just as jealous as hell. ;D ;D ;D ::)

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2016, 06:03:06 PM »

Walter's Wheelbarrow? Never head that before! But yes I was put in touch with Walter on Twitter via Chris Conder and he has been exceptionally helpful.

So you are one of Walter's satisfied clients. Purrfect!  :)

. . . I take it you would be interested in what is happening with my FTTP installation?

Yes, please. We all have an interest in the technology.
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

ryan2390

« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2016, 08:06:11 PM »

Oh, and I hate you Ryan  ???  ;D ;D ;D

<jk/>

:lol:

Quite understandable Weaver. Quite understandable indeed!

When it finally gets installed I'll be finally free of high resistance faults, water ingress and I won't have to spend three nights downloading a 30GB game. As and when it's turned on and settled I'll be pushing it to it's limit. See what it can and can't do. Until then any large files I download at my grandfather's address as he has 75Mbps VDSL2.

But yes I am looking forward to it. Think I will post what has happened so far this evening so keep your eyes peeled :)

waltergmw

• Kitizen
« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2016, 12:05:48 AM »

Gentlefolk,

Although I have visited and confirmed a rather poor ADSL service, I cannot claim to have satisfied Ryan and neither has BT Openreach so far !

Sadly this probably won't be much of an exploration of technology but rather navigating around the arcane processes involved once wayleaves have been agreed, new duct and fibre eventually installed. If I recall the FTTH was due to be installed on 10 November with the whole job completed by 20 November last year.

It's interesting to note that BT Wholesale seem too embarrassed to quote an expected upstream speed so perhaps gathering some ping and speed test data could be of marginal interest.

Kind regards
Walter

ryan2390

« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2016, 12:22:50 AM »

Gentlefolk,

Although I have visited and confirmed a rather poor ADSL service, I cannot claim to have satisfied Ryan and neither has BT Openreach so far !

Sadly this probably won't be much of an exploration of technology but rather navigating around the arcane processes involved once wayleaves have been agreed, new duct and fibre eventually installed. If I recall the FTTH was due to be installed on 10 November with the whole job completed by 20 November last year.

It's interesting to note that BT Wholesale seem too embarrassed to quote an expected upstream speed so perhaps gathering some ping and speed test data could be of marginal interest.

Kind regards
Walter

Walter you have been exceedingly helpful for which I am eternally grateful.

As for the FTTH if/when it get's installed I will be pushing it as best I can and if you wish you can come and try it for yourself! Perhaps I could arrange with the parish council for it to be installed in the village hall for demonstrations and to put pressure on BT to extend it to the rest of the village  ;) :lol:
Pages: [1] 2 3

anything