Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Win10 recent update?  (Read 2750 times)

Bowdon

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
Win10 recent update?
« on: December 30, 2015, 11:46:24 AM »

The other day my dads laptop did a big windows 10 update. A similar screen came on like the one that runs when he did the upgrade from Win8.1 to Win10.

After the update happened some of the settings slightly changed, like programs associated with documents ( .pdf changed to edge browser. I changed it back to adobe). Also the start mention looks slightly different to.

It's strange because I've not heard of a big update like this recently, and so far the update hasnt happened on my main Win10 pc. So I'm wondering whats up? Has anyone else had a similar update on Win10?

I did run Avast to see if there was any malware or virus's at work. But all scans came up clean.
BT Full Fibre 500 - Smart Hub 2

HPsauce

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
Re: Win10 recent update?
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2015, 01:53:53 PM »

Was it the version 1511 update? (Build 10586) Run winver to confirm.

Bowdon

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2015, 08:38:35 PM »

Was it the version 1511 update? (Build 10586) Run winver to confirm.

Yes! it seems to be.

This main Win10 Comp is only on version 10.0 (build 10240).

Is the update 1511 being rolled out?

Edit:

The update for me didnt show up in the windows update screen (windows update these days is a load of &*$^*% :) ).

I ended up having to use that media creation tool. I re-downloaded it, but not sure if you can use the same one some used to get win10 upgraded in the first place. I selected Upgrade and to keep all by stuff, and after 2 hours I'm now updated to the new version. phew!

The amount of faults with these windows upgrades that happen, enough for it to be mentioned regularly in the computering media, I don't think bodes well for microsoft. I don't really know why they changed the old update system. I can't remember people complaining about that. It was much more manual and easier for the customers to sort their problems out themselves.

These days its all flash and no substance. Rant over!  :-X
« Last Edit: December 30, 2015, 11:39:53 PM by Bowdon »

HPsauce

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2015, 10:53:46 AM »

It's been around a while, all my W10 systems have updated, at least a couple of weeks ago?
(Mid-November I think it first appeared, but possibly then held back for a while)

Bowdon

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2015, 12:03:29 PM »

It's been around a while, all my W10 systems have updated, at least a couple of weeks ago?
(Mid-November I think it first appeared, but possibly then held back for a while)

It seems it was another of those windows 10 update bugs that for some people the update didnt show up. I've looked at the reasons websites are saying and I haven't done any other that (like deleting previous updates, changing permissions to stop certain updates etc).

I ended up having to download the media creation tool, selecting upgrade and having it install over the top of my old version. It took 2 manual reboots after the process had been done to get everything working like it did before. I did notice it removed 2 Asus programs without asking, saying they were now incompatable. There are complaints about this too. Microsoft's heavy hand.

I didn't experience this myself but some people get stuck at 44% on the update and apparently its because they have some usb device or SD memory card plugged in their computer. So make sure you don't have anything like that plugged in before you do the update.

Did I say already I HATE WIN10 WINDOWS UPDATE .. *coughs* sorry, I had to get that off my chest  :-[