Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: ADSLMax 10 day period detail question?  (Read 26139 times)

davidmaiden18183

Re: ADSLMax 10 day period detail question?
« Reply #30 on: October 07, 2006, 01:56:52 PM »

So can i ask for a modify order from the isp so it gets done overnight. Though i understand they wont have to honor my request & they have limits on how many they can request this way?

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #31 on: October 07, 2006, 02:01:50 PM »

Yep I believe so.

However, there may well be only certain staff that have direct access to the modify system via ECO though.
Hence why most regrades possibly go through on the xml regrade process where it takes BT 5 days.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

davidmaiden18183

« Reply #32 on: October 09, 2006, 12:27:55 PM »

I rang demon Broadband provisioning department this morning and as per my regust they have put through for my line to be regraded via the 24hr ECO method. They say the reason why my line had not been regraded was becuase it was missed on the BT system (or something to that effect)

Been on the bt site, and used the order checker thats detailed on this site. There is now something in there which is a good sign seems they have been true to there word. Hopefully I will be enjoying the ADSL max experience soon.

Order ref      Placed             Description       We can do this on:        We agreed to deliver by: 
ZZH426LC   09 Oct 2006     CHANGE           10 Oct 2006                   10 Oct 2006  View detail

detail......

Order reference ZZH426LC 
Placed 09 Oct 2006 
Description CHANGE 
Appointment No date yet 
Date due 10 Oct 2006 
Status In progress 
Last update 09 Oct 2006 
Latest update Your order is in progress. 

Items in this order
Description                  Item                                               Quantity              Cost           Rental
PROVIDE                      BT IPSTREAM MAX                           1                        ? 0.0           ? 0.0 
CEASE                         (ADSL) BT IPSTREAM HOME 1000         1                         ? 0.0          ? 0.0 
PROVIDE                     REGRADE ADSL                                1                         ? 0.0          ? 0.0 

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #33 on: October 09, 2006, 01:22:07 PM »

We can do this on: 10 Oct 2006

Good... looks at set now.  :)

Will probably happen during the wee small hours -  around 1.00 - 2.30 am is when they normally get done.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----

mr_chris

• Kitizen
« Reply #34 on: October 09, 2006, 06:45:45 PM »

woohoo ;D
Chris

davidmaiden18183

« Reply #35 on: October 10, 2006, 08:38:59 AM »

My line has now been maxed  ;D

Downstream          Upstream

Data rate            6464                      448 

Noise margin      7.9                         23.0 

Output power    19.8                       12.3 

Attenuation        42                         22

before.....

Downstream          Upstream

Data rate            1152                      288 

Noise margin      28.7                       27.0 

Output power    17.3                       11.8 

Attenuation        42                         22.5

My nose margin seem to have gone down quite alot  :( is this normal?

the adslguide speedtest put me at about a 4.9Mbps line at the current state of play.

Over the 10 day bras setting period does the line speed tend to rise or reduce? I downloaded a file or two this monring with my download accelerating programme and transfer speeds fluctuated largely between 220 kb/sec and 580 kb/sec.........I do understand my bras has not been set and adslMax is less consistant than normal adsl.

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #36 on: October 10, 2006, 11:10:01 AM »

The lower noise margin is quite normal - as the sync speed increases, so the noise margin decreases. By default, Max syncs at the best speed it can achieve for a noise margin of 6dB.

The line speed isn't controlled by the bRAS profile. The modem/router will always sync at the best speed it can. However your actual download speed will be limited by the bRAS profile. The profile is continuously reevaluated and reset if necessary to a value determined by your lowest sync speed over the preceding three days (except that blip logic tries to avoid a reduction in profile from a single short-term reduction in sync speed).

Eric
« Last Edit: October 10, 2006, 11:11:44 AM by roseway »
  Eric

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #37 on: October 10, 2006, 12:41:35 PM »

Yep looks about right..  when I first got maxed my SNR Margin dropped from 31dB down to about 10dB.
-----

davidmaiden18183

« Reply #38 on: October 10, 2006, 12:42:30 PM »

So is my noise margin good now or not?

I dont undestand what you mean. Are data rate and sync speed the same thing? If they are does that not mean my router thats is syncing at max at 6464 and can not and will not go up into the 8000's

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #39 on: October 10, 2006, 02:47:25 PM »

Hi

With max your SNR margin is lower than what it would be on *traditional* adsl.
Remember that SNR Margin can and does fluctuate during the day/night.. therefore the DLM allows you to sync at the highest speed you can, whilst still giving you a margin for fluctuations etc.

Sync speed is what your router is connecting to the exchange at.
data rate is more to do with actual data throughput speed.

Theres an explanation of how it works which may help you understand things a bit better.

How dslMAX works
-----

davidmaiden18183

« Reply #40 on: October 10, 2006, 04:12:42 PM »

What would you recommend I should do over the next 10 days? I've heard it's best to turn your router off and on every once in a while and to try to use the connection in the quiter times (mornings and afternoons) moreso over eveninngs and night time.

davidmaiden18183

« Reply #41 on: October 12, 2006, 09:05:03 AM »

I think today is my third day of ADSL Max training so my line should be getting stable I guess. My Noise Margin reduces to as low as 6.2 in the evenings  moreso when connected at a higher data rate around 7100. However in evenings the data rate does tend to drop to 6100-6600 and the nosise margin comes back up around 7-8. Speed tests at these time can indicate a line as low as 1.3MB.

In the mornings or late at night the noise margin is usually 7.2 or more and the data rate 6600 to 7200.

I've been turning my router off and on once in the morning when I have woke up at 7:00am.... often find the data rate is around 6600 but after switching on and off it typically then connects at 7100 ish.

How interleaving has however been turned on the last few days. I need to ask your guys opinions on this- I play a few online games, is it likely that interleaving is going to cause lag in my gaming experience. I may ask the ISP to turn it off.

Any tips on getting the best out of my line, or what kind of line you think I will have after my 10day training and the margins/bRas etc are set would be much appreciated

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #42 on: October 12, 2006, 11:10:45 AM »

A noise margin of around 6dB is what it should be, and it will vary a bit over the 24 hours. If interleaving has been turned on that suggests that the router has been losing sync several times overnight (when noise margins commonly plummet). Interleaving will help to stabilise the connection, but if it's still unstable you may find that the target noise margin gets increased, with a corresponding reduction in sync speed.

To be honest, I don't think you are doing yourself any favours by switching the router off and on every morning. You are making it sync at a rather higher speed (because noise levels are lower than during the night), but in doing so you are making the connection less stable. It would be better (in my opinion) just to leave the router on and let it find its own stable level.

You can't draw too many conclusions from speed tests until the training period is over. Even then the speed will vary depending on things like exchange congestion, and maybe ISP traffic management. If download speeds are consistently below 2Mbps after the ten days, then you probably have a stuck bRAS profile and you will have to ask your ISP to get it unstuck.

I'm not a gamer, so I can't discuss latency from personal experience. But it's my view that an increase in latency of 20ms or so caused by interleaving should be pretty insignificant when compared with the much higher latency of human beings. I rather suspect that some gamers use this as an excuse for their performance, but maybe that's just my aging cynicism talking. :)

Eric
  Eric

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #43 on: October 12, 2006, 04:06:31 PM »

I think I tend to agree with just about everything roseway has said.

Theres 2 schools of thought re leave it connected or reboot.
In most instances Id go with the "leave it to find its own level",
although I do appreciate that there may be times when a resync is called for.
-----

davidmaiden18183

« Reply #44 on: October 20, 2006, 12:44:09 PM »

My 10 days as no passed.

Its lunchtime and my figures are

Type - Interleave 

Downstream     Upstream

Data rate               6944                 448 

Noise margin          7.5                    23.0 

Output power        19.8                  12.2 

Attenuation            42.0                 22.0 

adsl speed test puts my line at about 1.362 kbps ............. am I getting low results, should I ask for my Bras to be reset? sometimes my line even goes below 1000kbs at this minute which is what I wsa on pre-max

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4