Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Apple Pay transaction limits  (Read 6427 times)

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
Apple Pay transaction limits
« on: December 11, 2015, 03:55:44 PM »

So, despite my paranoid fear over all forms of electronic banking, and despite the fact I've refused all contactless bank cards to date, I've enabled Apple Pay on my watch and registered a card.

Have not yet used it, but I have a question....  It seems that by default it will be subject to the same (£30 I think) transaction limit as contactless bank cards, but the retailer can choose to remove the limit.  Rumour has it that M&S for example have no transaction limit on Apple Pay.

The question is... I don't want the embarrassment of a transaction being declined - so how do I know, when I reach the til, whether or not the retailer applies the £30 limit?

Apols if that is a stupid question with an obvious answer, I tend to miss the obvious these days. :-[

WesBez7

Re: Apple Pay transaction limits
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2015, 07:24:26 PM »

A quick call to customer services. Contactless are covered by banks. Your more likely to get mugged imo.

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2015, 08:48:17 PM »

A quick call to customer services. Contactless are covered by banks. Your more likely to get mugged imo.

Sorry, are you suggesting I should call customer services while queing for the til?

I just need to know, each time I see the contactless payment icon at a place I don't often use, whether or not I will be limited to £30 for Apple Pay.  :-\

BTW, have now used it... on London Underground  yesterday.   I'm only an occasional visitor to London so I hate Oyster cards.   And I don't and never will trust contactless credit/debit cards as 'accidental spends' are possible no matter what the banks might infer.   

But Apple Pay..  that extra level of security - if you don't  touch/press the button you won't be stung, sheer magic, perfect solutution.   :graduate:

WesBez7

« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2015, 08:58:32 PM »

A quick call to customer services prior to your arrival at the M&S store.  £30 is the current limit as per t&c's

loonylion

• Reg Member
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2015, 09:00:14 PM »

And I don't and never will trust contactless credit/debit cards as 'accidental spends' are possible no matter what the banks might infer.   

I keep mine in an RF/EM blocking sheath.

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2015, 09:14:42 PM »

A quick call to customer services prior to your arrival at the M&S store.  £30 is the current limit as per t&c's

I think you may referring to contactless payment, for which there is a £30 limit, imposed by the banks as the technology is fundamentally insecure (my words, not theirs.)

There is no limit applied for the bank for Apple Pay as it has that additional security over cards.   Of course the retailer may choose to apply any limit he likes, it is a free world.  More specifically I hear rumour that the  'generic' limit may be hard coded into some, but not all, of the hardware terminals, meaning the banks' contactless card limit is needlessly applied to  Apple Pay transactions too. >:(

All of which is fine, I am not trying to change the world.   I just want to know a way to predict, when I get to the til in some random shop, whether or not I'll be able to use my watch for >£30. 

WesBez7

« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2015, 09:19:17 PM »

When you reach the til as per your question. It's currently a £30 Limit. Seems you have the answers anyway.

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2015, 09:40:23 PM »

When you reach the til as per your question. It's currently a £30 Limit. Seems you have the answers anyway.

Thanks for your efforts to help me WesBez7, but are you sure you have grasped the distinction between Contacless cards, which have a £30 limit, and Apple Pay, which has no limit?

http://www.worldpay.com/sites/default/files/Guide_to_Apple_Pay.pdf
• There’s no transaction limit with Apple Pay so customers can benefit from the simplicity of contactless on any purchase*.

And from Apple...

https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT204906

Can I accept transactions over £30 in my shop?

Apple Pay allows your customers to make easy and secure contactless payments at any amount. If your payment terminal or payment provider doesn’t support the latest network specifications, as with contactless debit and credit cards today, your customers might need to insert their card if the transaction amount is over £30.
To accept Apple Pay for transactions over £30, your payment terminal must be capable and configured properly, and your payment provider needs to support the latest network contactless specifications. Share the consumer device cardmember verification white paper with your payment provider and ask them how you can allow your customers to use Apple Pay for any amount.

But thanks again for all your attempted help. 

And anybody who can assist with my question... now would be a good time to chip in. :)

WesBez7

« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2015, 09:41:05 PM »

Apple Pay is Apples proprietary form of contactless. Are you always this vindictive.

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2015, 09:50:17 PM »

Apple Pay is Apples proprietary form of contactless.

It is not that simple, but not sure I can add much more to the dialogue beyond the explanations already given, and no point in endlessly repeating myself.

No worries though, and thanks again for the help - I am sure it was well intentioned. :)