Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Line fault fixed - slower speeds  (Read 2024 times)

bigdunc1999

• Just arrived
Line fault fixed - slower speeds
« on: November 25, 2015, 07:32:57 PM »

Hi

I recently had a line fault which was fixed today. Before the fault I was getting the full 80Mb/20Mb on BT Infinity 2. However now my speeds are considerably less and I'm only getting 53Mb/12Mb. Will my speeds go back up over time or will I need to contact BT about it?

Cheers

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
Re: Line fault fixed - slower speeds
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2015, 08:01:30 PM »

did the engineer do a line reset after the fault was fixed as standard or did they say the DLM should increase you speeds in a few days.

bigdunc1999

• Just arrived
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2015, 08:09:15 PM »

I've no idea to be honest. I was at work and he just said the fault was an underground fault and it was fixed and tested.

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2015, 08:40:19 PM »

I've no idea to be honest. I was at work and he just said the fault was an underground fault and it was fixed and tested.

To me it looks like your line was not reset if it was you would already be back to pre full 80Mb/20Mb or whatever it was before underground fault.

So in that case the DLM will be making the adjustments on your line overtime and hopefully speeds should come back to normal  :fingers:

bigdunc1999

• Just arrived
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2015, 08:46:00 PM »

So would I normally see a gradual increase over a few days or could it be several weeks?

Thanks for your help by the way  :)

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2015, 09:02:59 PM »

So would I normally see a gradual increase over a few days or could it be several weeks?

Thanks for your help by the way  :)

If your errored seconds US and DS went above the DLM ISP threshold during the lifetime of the fault it's going to be a gradual increase and each 24 hours that passes with modem on 24/7 you should start to see retrains/resyncs this week or the next week.

If not then contact your ISP  ;)
« Last Edit: November 25, 2015, 09:17:04 PM by NewtronStar »

WWWombat

• Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2015, 09:53:50 AM »

I recently had a line fault which was fixed today. Before the fault I was getting the full 80Mb/20Mb on BT Infinity 2. However now my speeds are considerably less and I'm only getting 53Mb/12Mb.

Will my speeds go back up over time or will I need to contact BT about it?

The answer is ... it depends. It partly depends on what caused the drop in speed in the first place, partly depends what fix was done, and partly depends on whether a DLM reset was done.

Some obvious questions:
- Did the speed drop as a result of the fault, or as a result of the fix?
- Do you know what fix was done?
- When you say speed, are you talking of sync speeds, or of throughput measured by a speedtester?
- What modem/router do you have?
- Can you access any line statistics from your modem?

anything