Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: SamKnows whitebox - Video test beta - up to 250GB per month  (Read 9730 times)

jelv

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
SamKnows whitebox - Video test beta - up to 250GB per month
« on: November 16, 2015, 04:59:24 PM »

When you go it enable this option it suggests it uses around 13GB per month. If you are on fibre this is way out - it's pushing 5GB per day!

Three of us are seeing similar usage - see http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,144647.msg1283978.html#msg1283978
« Last Edit: November 22, 2015, 03:36:50 PM by jelv »
Broadband and Line rental: Zen Unlimited Fibre 2, Mobile: Vodaphone
Router: Fritz!Box 7530

jid

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
Re: SamKnows whitebox - Video test beta
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2015, 05:12:57 PM »

When you go it enable this option it suggests it uses around 13GB per month. If you are on fibre this is way out - it's pushing 5GB per day!

Three of us are seeing similar usage - see http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,144647.msg1283978.html#msg1283978

I personally never enabled this feature - seems to be a waste of bandwidth - 13GB was a lot, but 5gb a day is huge! I would email them inquiring what is the correct figure?
Kind Regards
Jamie

BT FTTP - 75meg | Sky Q |  Bridgend Weather

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2015, 01:30:44 PM »

Ouch.   That seems a lot.  ???

I stopped using my sambox a couple of years ago when I went back to Plusnet as I had one of the really old and first issue boxes that was well past it and had seen better days.  :(
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

jelv

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2015, 02:46:56 PM »

I've sent them a message querying it.

jelv

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2015, 06:14:35 PM »

SamKnows have got back to me and confirmed that the whitebox is consuming in excess of 2GB per day although the reply I've received is a little ambiguous.

jelv

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2015, 07:20:21 PM »

Wow! I've now had a reply to a follow up question:

Quote from: SamKnows
We have put all users who are not affected by data caps on the full Ofcom testing schedule which includes video testing. This used to be an optional field as the increased testing schedule would previously of made users go over their data caps however this is no longer the case as these are no longer in place. Un-ticking the box within the dashboatd will not remove the video-testing in your case as any data caps have been removed. Everyone who is not affected by data caps will be put on the full Ofcom testing schedule.

I can confirm that Plusnet are giving you unlimited data, so you will not be charged for any additional data usage that the tests from the Whitebox will consume with preparation for the increased testing schedule.

We are looking to update the dashboard to make it clear to users that everyone with no data caps will be put on the full testing schedule. The tick-box will be for users who would like to opt-in who do have data caps but still would like to be on the full schedule.

jelv

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2015, 08:23:54 PM »

The Video beta tests option has disappeared from the dashboard today. If you are on unlimited video tests are automatically enabled.

I'm just waiting to see the first complaint from someone who has had it automatically enabled and is on an account with fixed usage!

Iain

« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2015, 08:37:29 PM »

Mine is going to get disconnected if they don't switch the video testing off. I was away at the weekend, yet have used 7Gb every day since Sunday!

d2d4j

• Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2015, 11:31:09 PM »

Hi

We have Sam knows and I read this thread with interest as Sam knows lifted  our fixed data to unlimited.

Also, I think for everyone considering leaving Sam knows, there would be a high list of people wanting to join, who currently cannot join.

Many thanks

John

jelv

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2015, 09:29:45 AM »

I'm wondering if the ISPs are aware just how much usage the SamKnows testing is clocking up!

d2d4j

• Kitizen
« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2015, 10:33:33 AM »

Hi

I would certainly consider they would, as fixed data limits are been set to unlimited.

The issue I am not keen on is Sam knows are highlighting the testers to the ISP and therefore there is the possibility of fudging the tests by ensuring the testers broadband has higher priority over others, to ensure good results.

It's more likely me been to suspicious, but given VW antics, you never know and hence why I prefer as a tester to be not known by ISP

Many thanks

John

jelv

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
Re: SamKnows whitebox - Video test beta - up to 250GB per month
« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2015, 03:37:16 PM »

Updated FAQ on SamKnows:

What is the Test Schedule?

Test Schedule for those on a limited broadband product / data cap in place:

Download and Upload MT: Once every 6 hours until 6pm, then hourly thereafter
        Jitter: Every 2 hours
        Web browsing: Every hour
        DNS: Every hour
        Latency/loss: Every hour
        Video streaming (YouTube, Netflix, iPlayer): Once every 6 hours until 6pm, then hourly thereafter

Test Schedule for those with an unlimited broadband product/ no data cap in place:

Download and Upload MT: Once every 3 hours until 6pm, then hourly thereafter
        Jitter: Every 2 hours
        Web browsing: Every hour
        DNS: Every hour
        Latency/loss: Every hour
        Video streaming (YouTube, Netflix and iPlayer): Once every 3 hours until 6pm, then hourly after.

How much data does the Test Schedule consume?

If you are on an unlimited broadband product or we are aware that any data cap has been removed, you will be put on our full testing schedule. The data consumption will vary depending on your package. Maximum daily usage approximately is:

8Mbps: 820MB
        20Mbps: 2.06GB
        40Mbps: 3.95GB
        80Mbps: 8.17GB

Please note, as there is no data cap in place, the increased data consumption from testing will not be charged by your provider as provision is unlimited.

Those users with data caps in place are put on a reduced testing schedule. Maximum daily usage approximately is:

8Mbps: 54MB
        20Mbps: 54MB
        40Mbps: 108MB
        80Mbps: 1.17GB

During you participation, if you do move to an ISP with a limited broadband product and exceeding your data cap is a concern, please contact the support team at community@samknows.com so we can ensure you are placed on a reduced testing schedule.

So for someone on 80/20 FTTC on unlimited the usage is up to 250GB per month!

d2d4j

• Kitizen
« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2015, 05:49:51 PM »

Hi

I hope you don't mind, but I'm struggling to see what your actual issue is

I have 80/20 FTTC and am a Sam knows tester.

Fttc is on permanently as is the Sam knows router, and our limits have been set by Sam knows with BT to unlimited.

I would not blink if Sam knows used 1Tb per month, as it is not costing anything on unlimited but is helping with statistics etc

As I said, I do not understand what your issue is

Many thanks

John

ejs

• Kitizen
« Reply #13 on: November 22, 2015, 06:09:11 PM »

It might not immediately cost end users anything, but some ISPs have to pay BTWholesale for bandwidth, if ISPs have to pay for more bandwidth, it'll eventually put prices up.

Or we might eventually get to the point where all the endless testing uses up so much bandwidth that the testing itself affects what it's trying to measure!

jelv

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #14 on: November 22, 2015, 06:25:51 PM »

Or a number of testers all on the same cabinet/exchange affecting speeds for other users.

I cannot believe it is necessary to transfer such a huge volume of data to get the results they require.
Pages: [1] 2

anything