Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: roadworks.org broken?  (Read 5507 times)

Bowdon

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
roadworks.org broken?
« on: November 13, 2015, 12:25:24 PM »

I'm not sure if this is the right section to post this. But I was wondering does anyone else have the same issue as I do with this site.

I go to the site and it loads up the google maps. But there is no icons on the map. No information. I'm wondering if its because of some firefox update, though my chrome browser can't see the icons either.

Does the site work properly for others? Can you guys see the map icons?
BT Full Fibre 500 - Smart Hub 2

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
Re: roadworks.org broken?
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2015, 12:46:25 PM »

It seems fine here (Firefox 42.0 Linux).
  Eric

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2015, 01:09:07 PM »

Working fine on Chrome on my Android tablet, but last week I had icons but no map, so may just be a glitch.
Formerly restrained by ECI and ali,  now surfing along at 550/52  ;D

jelv

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2015, 02:00:41 PM »

I was just looking at it 5 minutes ago - absolutely fine (Firefox 42.0 on Win 7)
Broadband and Line rental: Zen Unlimited Fibre 2, Mobile: Vodaphone
Router: Fritz!Box 7530

Bowdon

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2015, 04:09:52 PM »

Hmm very odd.

I've checked for a few days as there are some roadworks going on nearby, between me and the cabinet.. apparently all around the town the electrical company is replacing high voltage cables.. so I've been keeping an eye on it.

Its very odd about the icons though.

P.S.

I've just checked on my other computer, the win10 one, and the site is working normally on there. This computer I'm on now is an old winxp 32 bit machine. I wonder if that could be anything to do with it. I'll keep my eye on things and update if I see any improvement.

feliscatusx2

• Reg Member
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2015, 04:56:29 PM »

"I go to the site and it loads up the google maps. But there is no icons on the map. No information. "

Snap

Again WinXP32 bit

It must be us poor benighted souls who havn't upgraded

Some people are like slinkies: they don't really have a purpose, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.

jelv

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2015, 06:46:02 PM »

Which browser?

(and if it isn't Firefox, give that a try)
Broadband and Line rental: Zen Unlimited Fibre 2, Mobile: Vodaphone
Router: Fritz!Box 7530

feliscatusx2

• Reg Member
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2015, 07:37:54 PM »

Pale Moon, a Firefox offshoot, this version is optimised for XP and still uses the old interface with the menu across the top.

(I detest the Firefox Chrome type interface with an absolute passion and refuse to use them (so there))

I just tried IE and got an icon (in Scotland) but it's so slooow on that site  :'(

Some people are like slinkies: they don't really have a purpose, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.

Bowdon

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2015, 10:37:01 AM »

It's good to know I'm not the only one with the issue! :)

I've tested it with the latest Firefox regular version, and the updated Chrome version too. Both don't show the icons.

I am wondering if its anything to do with using java? I've noticed that java doesn't update now. For the latest couple of updates it puts a warning that I won't be able to get the full advantages of the update unless I upgrade the OS. Now I get an error and it fails to install.

I've noticed quite a few things wrong with firefox in particularly recently. It doesn't play mp4 files through websites. The moving pictures/videos on twitter don't play (if I use Chrome they will).

I wonder why java have chosen to abandon WinXP people. Why is it even an OS issue? Does java install in a different way depending on the OS? It's disappointing.

Btw, I can see the icons using firefox on Win10, and also java installs fine too.

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2015, 06:24:35 AM »

That will be because XP is now an out of date and unsupported OS. Why should programmers spend time writing,  testing and supporting something that is now officially unsupported in the mainstream by MS?

Bowdon

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2015, 10:40:50 AM »

That will be because XP is now an out of date and unsupported OS. Why should programmers spend time writing,  testing and supporting something that is now officially unsupported in the mainstream by MS?

I agree with you in principle. I'll be buying a new computer soon to replace this one. Though I think when it comes to Java, a lot of countries still use XP, especially the poorer countries.

I wasn't aware that programming for the more recent Windows versions was a major change from XP? Apart from install locations etc.

I have noticed a big issue on this XP machine. When it comes to RAM requirements. The machine is limited because of the OS. A lot of programmers these days seem to get sloppy when it comes to memory requirements, and even file sizes too. When I think back to my days on the Commodore 64 and the things that were done 64KB was amazing.

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2015, 01:29:49 PM »

I don't know about Java, but I know when I wrote the HG612 Stats GUI a lot of code was different for XP although I think most of that was to do with task creation. It's possibly related to testing, I don't have access to an XP machine any more so couldn't test, although I could probably setup a VM.

Dray

• Kitizen
« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2015, 01:57:10 PM »

This indicates Java is still available on XP
https://blogs.oracle.com/henrik/entry/the_future_of_java_on

Bowdon

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2015, 04:03:52 PM »

I was reading the Henrik article earlier. The first updates of version 8 worked, even though it give the warning that the OS needed to be updated. But the recent updates don't. I've noticed also when trying to install an older version.. it updates to the recent version then seems to uninstall itself. I found out the reason java wasn't working is because its removed itself from the machine.

I've noticed that oracle have put downloading old versions behind a pay wall (they only allow access if you pay them for support). I probably won't bother searching for a workaround as I'm going to be dumping this machine soon.

It's just interesting witnessing a dying OS. I've never lasted out this long before. Though this PC as lasted me a good 7 years.

Dray

• Kitizen
« Reply #14 on: November 18, 2015, 04:10:16 PM »

There's no paywall. I can download archive versions just fine.
Pages: [1] 2