Chat > Chit Chat

Winter tyres

(1/7) > >>

sevenlayermuddle:
Anybody else been using winter tyres?

I have, for about 5 or 6 years now.   The difference, not just in snow but even just on a light frost, was night and day - astonishing.   On snow, they allow my 2wd saloon to storm past stranded Chelsea tractors.

But after these 5 seasons (or is it 6) the tread is nearly down to min (4mm for winters) and my 'summer' tyres also well past their prime.  So I've invested in a new breed, Michelin Crossclimate.  More than just an all-season, the best of both worlds, or so they claim. :-\

Wonder if I'll regret it?

HPsauce:

--- Quote from: sevenlayermuddle on November 11, 2015, 05:37:57 PM ---Anybody else been using winter tyres?

I have, for about 5 or 6 years now.   The difference, not just in snow but even just on a light frost, was night and day - astonishing.   
--- End quote ---
Similar time period (maybe a bit longer) on both our cars, similar very positive response. Won't ever go back.  :cool:

I have a separate set (of 5, spare included) for each car so it's a relatively simple swap twice a year.
I usually arrange for tyre replacement (due to wear) to be done at the same time, so I pre-order them via t'internet.
Mobile tyre fitter turns up, swaps tyres as required (only one winter tyre for this autumn changeover) and then does the wheel swap on both.

The winter wheels are a smaller diameter (and deeper profile tyre) than summer. Also cheaper alloys and I don't worry about minor cosmetic damage on bad winter roads.

Ronski:
I have winter tyres on my Tiguan, been on it ever since I bought it in Scotland a couple of years ago, can't tell if they make any difference but almost certainly will. Before that I had an Audi Allroad, that was brilliant in the snow with normal tyres. We have a set of winter tyres at work for my bosses BMW 320, put on every winter and these make a lot of difference, but BMW's are renowned for being bad in the snow.

My bosses wife has an BMW X5, a set of tyre's for that used to cost a £1000+vat, last spring they were going skiing so I ordered in a full set of winter tyres on brand new alloys for just under half that, they have also been left on all year. The car drives much better with the narrower tyres in general and grips better in the snow because they are narrower. They are also wearing better as well. The old tyres were 275/40R20 fronts and 315/35R20 rears, the new ones are 255/50R19 all around, and they look just as good, so a win/win situation.

If anybody wants winters tyres then I'd advise you to order them ASAP, as they seem very hard to get hold of once winters actually here.

sevenlayermuddle:

--- Quote from: HPsauce on November 11, 2015, 05:54:50 PM ---The winter wheels are a smaller diameter (and deeper profile tyre) than summer. Also cheaper alloys and I don't worry about minor cosmetic damage on bad winter roads.

--- End quote ---

Yes it is the (lack) of wheel size optimisation that I think I may regret.   Mine were also on plain old fashioned steel wheels, smaller and narrower but with taller tyres to make up the radius.   They just sat in a corner of the garage, I swapped them over twice a year.

But it was a hassle.   If these new fangled things work, it'll be one less hassle.   If they don't work, the winter tyres are still just serviceable, and will go back on again for at least a few weeks.

I'm almost looking forward to some snow now, to find out.   As long as I can just drive up and down the lane to experiment, then retire back indoors til it's over, I'll be happy.

broadstairs:
I have not used anything but normal tyres on all my cars for years now and to be honest I've not had any problems in snow or ice, you just adjust your driving to cope with the conditions.

Many years ago (like about 45 or so) I had a Mini Countryman and in the winter I did have a set of Town & Country tyres I kept for winter, made a huge difference on the hill I had to climb to get into our road in snow, often passed 4WD cars stuck and just cruised past them.

The only car I had any issue with was a Hillman Imp which was notorious in ice and snow and you either had half a hundred weight of something in the boot (it was rear engine so boot was at front) or at least kept the petrol tank full (also at front) so you had some weight over the steering wheels - it did not matter what tyres you had on that car it was lousy in those conditions.

Stuart

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version