Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: An embarrassing confession  (Read 7567 times)

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
An embarrassing confession
« on: November 11, 2015, 10:00:42 AM »

I know some of you are critical of my enthusiasm for spending hard-earned £££ on Apple kit.  This confession may therefor amuse...

As mentioned elsewhere, I rushed out and bought the new Apple TV (4th generation) the very day they arrived in the shops.   First time I've ever done that, I usually wait for a new model and then buy the old one discounted. I paid circa £130, which I consider a good price price, and I am delighted with my purchase.  But I subsequently discovered this...

http://www.cultofmac.com/388691/the-new-apple-tv-will-be-free-to-some-developers/

I am of course a developer too and sure enough, I'd had the mail shot back in September.  Just too busy to read it properly, I think I was busy booking airport parking or something, preparing to go on holiday, and had no spare time to look at tvOS just then.    :-[

Feel free to giggle, especially if you are Kitz.   ::)

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
Re: An embarrassing confession
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2015, 10:13:57 AM »

Apple give something away, it must be a mistake!  :P

With all the cash they've amassed they can surely afford to though, and whilst they are at it they shoukd give Kitz a new IPad, after all isn't Apple stuff supposed to just work  :P

As you can guess I'm not an Apple fan.
Formerly restrained by ECI and ali,  now surfing along at 550/52  ;D

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2015, 10:14:10 AM »

As a fellow Apple-advocate, I feel your pain and embarrassment, 7LM. We'll shoulder it together though mate, because that's what Apple users do !!  :drink: :comp:  ;D

vic0239

• Reg Member
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2015, 10:29:35 AM »

Never fear, the few Apple devotees here will rally forth.  :hug:
Lothian Broadband 900/900 + AAISP VDSL, Vigor2865Vac, MikroTik rb260gsp, ZyXel NWA50AX WiFi AP.

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2015, 10:50:35 AM »

an official posing on Apple’s Developer Forums

That says it all really. ;D
  Eric

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2015, 11:26:32 AM »

Naw... I wont giggle at you.    I feel for you at the missed opportunity for a free-bee :(

Remember I once nearly got into the Apple ethos - its easy to do:  ipod, then ipad and Apple TV, they all work together beautifully.   I certainly get my money's worth out of the ATV and love that.   My brother started the same with ipods, ipads, iphones then now he's recently replaced his PC with a Mac.. and now hes even got an apple watch.

Despite my rants of late, I do find that Apple have a knack for making things look sexi and they do (usually) just work.    My gripe with Apple is the extortiant prices they charge for things such as additional chargers, or how you cant easily upgrade anything (ie add more memory).

It will always bug me about how restrictive they are with controlling what you can and cant do and their rip off add-on pricing..  but there is no denying they do make some nice looking hardware.

The recent event with my ipad definitely has put me off them though, because its obvious that they do expect you to frequently update kit to be able to keep up.  I am not happy about iOS 9 and I am not alone in this.   I would say that unless you can afford to re-purchase every few years then Apple isnt for you :(
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

vic0239

• Reg Member
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2015, 11:56:15 AM »

I would say that unless you can afford to re-purchase every few years then Apple isnt for you :(

Yes and no. I have an iMac G4 sitting on my desk certainly long abandoned by Apple, but still supported by various enthusiastic groups who keep PPC versions of Firefox and Thunderbird up-to-date. I have even managed to get bluetooth and wireless N adapters to work. It’s not the fastest kid on the street, but great fun for the occasional browsing.  ;)
Lothian Broadband 900/900 + AAISP VDSL, Vigor2865Vac, MikroTik rb260gsp, ZyXel NWA50AX WiFi AP.

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2015, 12:19:27 PM »

I know I'm not going to win over Kitz, but they do seem to have high hopes for the new TV. 

Co-incidentally as I started by referring to that Apple mail shot,  but now I've just been invited to register for a series of 'Tech Talks', whereby Apple trot around the globe talking to Dev's, trying to get them (us!) on track to do good stuff.  These events are not routine,  the last time they went to such efforts was 2013, firing us up for iPhone 5 and iOS 7.  I was lucky enough to be selected then and it was a great day out, lots of good tech stuff, and a rare chance to see the human face of Cupertino's own techies.  Good food too, they know how to throw a party.    ;)

https://developer.apple.com/tech-talks/

This is not quite a 'freebie' for me as (8am start) I would need to travel in the night before and find a hotel room at own expense.  And  I suspect it will be massively oversubscribed and involve a lottery with very unfavourable odds. 

But I have registered for London anyway.    :fingers:

PS Kitz, if there's somebody walking up and down outside the event, with a rude message on a sandwich board, we'll all know who it is.   :P
« Last Edit: November 11, 2015, 12:27:05 PM by sevenlayermuddle »

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2015, 12:33:08 PM »

@ vic.

There is a blast from the past.  Circa 2003?  Nice to see there are support groups keeping it going. :)    :thumbs:   Thanks for sharing you still have a working version :)

If I spy right that's Leopard you have on there...  so out of curiosity I just googled its lifespan  Release date: October 26, 2007    Most recent version: 10.5.8 (August 5, 2009)
So Apple supported it for just under 2 years?  In comparison Windows XP had support for 12 years   (Oct 2001 to 2014).
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----

renluop

• Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2015, 12:51:22 PM »

Wouldn't the thread title be better as "An Appalling confession"? :P ;D

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2015, 12:56:39 PM »

I know I'm not going to win over Kitz, but they do seem to have high hopes for the new TV. 

In all seriousness, I may have been in the market to upgrade after xmas.  The water leak and major work on my home mean that certain things will have to take a backseat for a while.    Because I love and use the ATV a fair bit and because it needs an Apple product then I may have upgraded to a newer ipad.

However, in view of the recent events Im far more likely to look at other manufacturers and not only replace the tablet, but the ATV with a different brand.   It would still probably be cheaper to do it that way even with the added expense of abandoning the ATV.  :(

Despite it being assumed that I am anti-apple,  I would hardly have recommended an ipad Air2 for my dad about a year ago because I thought that would serve his needs best to do what he wanted.   Ive quite openly said over the years that my ipods have had a hammering, that I love the ATV and I thought the ipad was sexi.   I just feel very let down by Apple over the latest update.

PS Kitz, if there's somebody walking up and down outside the event, with a rude message on a sandwich board, we'll all know who it is.   :P

Yep I wonder who that would be?   :lol:
In fairness I am not alone, you dont have to search hard to find plenty of others like me with ipad2s or iphone4s who are not in the slightest bit happy about the recent OS who also have the same problems.   Its not just me experiencing this - there are plenty of others also saying since the upgrade they are getting black screening with apps that previously worked fine.

I have a friend who has a house full of Apple products as he runs a business from home and has 2 young twin boys.  He was a previous Apple man.  He isnt any more and said he is now slowly moving back to other systems and manufacturers.  Theres also plenty of posts online saying things like 'Jobs would be turning in his grave' and some previous fan boys are also now disillusioned.     It should be a warning to Apple that there comes a point when people have enough.

I like having a rant when I feel its justified, ;D  I moaned just as much about Windows 10.  If Im happy with something then I'll say so but also if Im not then I will also say so... but when I feel that Ive been shafted by iOS 9 which turned a working device into a PoS then I will rant.  :-X

The long and short of it is, it would appear the ipad2 cannot really cope with ios9 as it doesnt have sufficient hardware resources.   Apple havent given us a way to back out..  no doubt that it will be the push for many to go buy new.. and they know it.
-----

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2015, 01:23:53 PM »

As mooted by myself somewhere else, my wife had a slight issue after her i-Pad update, but compared to the constant, endless, life-sapping updates on MS ......... and the amount of time we've had Apple with this being the only issue ....... then for us we're happy to continue with Jobs legacy.  ;D

Sexy, sleek, noise-free, non-update hungry, space-saving .................. Mmmmm, I love 'em.  :)

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2015, 01:56:11 PM »

I agree that disallowing iOS 'downgrades' is a pain.   Not least for dev's as I would dearly like to switch back and forth between versions for testing.

I don't know why they don't allow it but as far as I know it has always been so.   Pure speculation here, but one issue might be the App Store, as all Apps have to state a minimum iOS version they require   I'm thinking if a person spent some money on new Apps that require iOS 9,  and then went back to iOS 8, would he/she be willing to write-off the money they'd spent on the iOS 9 Apps?

anything