Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: New firefox up date corrupted all the settings.  (Read 4638 times)

tickmike

• Kitizen
  • Yes Another Penguin !. :)
New firefox up date corrupted all the settings.
« on: November 13, 2006, 02:20:25 AM »

Hi .
The new firefox update  (1.5.0.8 ) has b***  up all my bookmarks and other settings, Its a good job I took a back up of the bookmarks the other day !. 
From Michael.
I have a set of 6 fixed IP's From  Eclipse  isp.BT ADSL2(G992.3) line>HG612 as a Modem, Bridge, WAN Not Bound to LAN1 or 2 + Also have FTTP (G.984) No One isp Fixed IP >Dual WAN pfSense (Hardware Firewall and routing).> Two WAN's, Ethernet LAN, DMZ LAN, Zyxel GS1100-24 Switch.

feliscatusx2

• Reg Member
Re: New firefox up date corrupted all the settings.
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2006, 08:53:12 PM »

That's Firefox for you. 

The mainsteam, non techie user won't want to muck about with profiles, extensions that don't work etc etc etc.

I've given up on it completely, for ever and ever.

Besides which Firefox 3 will not support Windows pre W2000, so I won't support Firefox.
Some people are like slinkies: they don't really have a purpose, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.

tickmike

• Kitizen
  • Yes Another Penguin !. :)
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2006, 11:27:26 PM »

Hi. I have installed ff2 now and find that's ok, added some extensions, one of the best ones is 'cooliris page pre viewer' its ideal for these forums.
But its like all firefox's slow to load up on first time of opening it .(I think I have seen a mod to speed it up).
Just been reading your other post about you tried 'K-meleon' browser, I will download that tomorrow and give it a go on one of my 'test machines'
I use mainly W2k pro. and I tried to download IE7 But that does not support Windows 2000.
From Michael.
I have a set of 6 fixed IP's From  Eclipse  isp.BT ADSL2(G992.3) line>HG612 as a Modem, Bridge, WAN Not Bound to LAN1 or 2 + Also have FTTP (G.984) No One isp Fixed IP >Dual WAN pfSense (Hardware Firewall and routing).> Two WAN's, Ethernet LAN, DMZ LAN, Zyxel GS1100-24 Switch.

feliscatusx2

• Reg Member
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2006, 01:28:56 PM »

The Mod is Firefox PreLoader, which puts the Ffox .exe into startups.  It does make Ff load much faster but means that it is in memory all the time, unless you unload it, in which case it takes an age to reload if you need it again.

K-Meleon is good, I am using it a my default browser, the only downsides are:

1. There is no sidebar, so you have to use the menu or tool bar for Favorites and history. (One is promised for the future)
2. A lot of the configuration is done by editing text files, although this is fine tuning stuff that you may well not need.

It can use either IE Favorites or Mozilla Bookmarks by enabling/disabling the appropriate plugins in Edit~Preferences~Plugins.

I use the Favorites option as I then have only one set to worry about.

I think that Firefox has lost the plot, it was supposed to be small and fast, but is now bloated and slow.  Have you looked at Flock? This is based on Firefox but claims to be faster.  Only runs on W2K or XP.
Some people are like slinkies: they don't really have a purpose, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.

anything