Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: DG834GT replacement ?  (Read 12848 times)

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
Re: DG834GT replacement ?
« Reply #30 on: August 15, 2016, 07:39:57 PM »

That's a good tip from Kitz. I'm always a Zyxel fan. (Although is it true to say that some of their devices have had better software than others?)

However, I'm talking about "long" line meaning 66 dB, whereas Burakkucat is 20 dB (!!) better than me, so we are in different worlds. I drool at the thought of Burakkucat's good fortune.

I could _definitely_ do with getting hold of one of those to test it out. (Provided it's a straight PPPoE modem, or configurable as such.) [Worth its own thread, for that device?]

noddy

• Reg Member
« Reply #31 on: August 15, 2016, 08:43:19 PM »

Do _not_ use Roseway's option 1 - configuring the DLink as a router, as they are horrible, with bugs dangerous security problems according to various sources. (On an earlier thread? Certainly according to RevK who has warned against this kind of use repeatedly.)

But if you configure the DLink as a straight PPPoE modem as you should (supplied safely  configured when bought from the AAISP shop) then you don't have to configure it with the ISP login details or password. These go in the router instead, and stuff just gets passed through by the modem.
got you now it's arrived with the same warnings on the front  ;) so I'll experiment tomorrow  :fingers:  my attn is 57 to 58

noddy

• Reg Member
« Reply #32 on: August 15, 2016, 08:48:07 PM »

or throwing in another suggestion which expands on weavers.

The  ZyXEL VMG1312-B10D is a relatively new modem in the UK and wasn't available when you first asked your question.  It has an updated BCM chipset, works out of the box with DSLstats and so far is proving very good on long vdsl lines. 
It seems to work well on a long adsl line for one of our members.  Also b*cat picked one up on Thurs from ebay and so far is pleased with it on his moderately long (46db) line.

Thanks for more ideas ( trouble is getting more routers pass the wife she already mention the number of old ones in the cupboard  but you never know when they'll come in handy  ;) )

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #33 on: August 15, 2016, 10:53:56 PM »

Do _not_ use Roseway's option 1 - configuring the DLink as a router

Er.. I didn't say that. Option 1 was to use the DLink as a full modem, i.e. a modem with an ethernet output to the separate router. Whether that is still subject to the bugs and security problems I don't know.
  Eric

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #34 on: August 16, 2016, 12:38:01 AM »

Dear Roseway, my apologies - I appear to have misunderstood. Very fuzzy/groggy, I'm afraid.

noddy

• Reg Member
« Reply #35 on: August 16, 2016, 11:38:04 AM »

got it connected  ;D and the internet is on ok but the ewan led is orange , and is there a way to get the connection stats ?

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #36 on: August 16, 2016, 11:47:07 AM »

If it's in bridge mode, to get access to the stats you need to add another ethernet connection between the modem and any other port on the router. Advice on this is given here. As it says, it's written for a Zyxel modem but should apply generally to other modems.
  Eric

noddy

• Reg Member
« Reply #37 on: August 16, 2016, 12:18:33 PM »

thanks for quick reply  :) problem is the d-link only has 1 ethernet port  :(

noddy

• Reg Member
« Reply #38 on: August 17, 2016, 08:41:17 AM »

24hrs still running  :) but no idea how the error's , margin etc I'm guessing it's the same as before the  d-link was used because wholesale is giving the same connection speeds , give it a few more days then ask for a reset from plusnet

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #39 on: August 17, 2016, 08:51:03 AM »

To get access to the DSL stats from the modem, you'd need a small Ethernet switch and a second Ethernet patch cable, and maybe some software that can record or graph them. The software will need to speak ? MediaTek, someone will know about the stats interface if any provided by the software in this modem. There have been posts from knowledgeable souls who have dug into this device in some depth.

I haven't looked into it any further than just taking a spin round the web UI that this modem / modem-router provides. So I'm afraid I am not much help, as I haven't managed to do the physical setup required to investigate the possibility of interrogating my three DLink modems to extract stats, due to continuing illness and the complexity of dealing with three devices.

noddy

• Reg Member
« Reply #40 on: August 17, 2016, 08:56:23 AM »

cheers Weaver hope your feeling better soon  :fingers:

noddy

• Reg Member
« Reply #41 on: August 19, 2016, 08:40:06 AM »

could I ask when doing a resync with the separate modem and router is it best to reboot both or just the modem and if it's both which to reboot first ?

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #42 on: August 19, 2016, 07:17:48 PM »

could I ask when doing a resync with the separate modem and router is it best to reboot both or just the modem and if it's both which to reboot first ?

It is only the modem that exists in a state of synchronism (or not) with the DSLAM (or MSAN).

The question has to be asked: What is the objective that you wish to achieve?  :-\
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

noddy

• Reg Member
« Reply #43 on: August 19, 2016, 07:40:45 PM »

It is only the modem that exists in a state of synchronism (or not) with the DSLAM (or MSAN).

The question has to be asked: What is the objective that you wish to achieve?  :-\
I was going to ask for a reset from the provider and it requires a resync after they've done it , also since moving to plusnet if my ip profile increases it doesn't kick in until I've done a resync ( which is weird with BT it kicked in automatic ) 

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #44 on: August 19, 2016, 09:16:23 PM »

Ah, I see. Thank you.

As you have an ADSL(2(+)) service, I'll suggest that you power down the router, power down the modem, wait a minute (or two), power up the modem and then power up the router.
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4