Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: DG834GT replacement ?  (Read 12867 times)

noddy

• Reg Member
DG834GT replacement ?
« on: October 31, 2015, 07:59:08 AM »

Hi been having a run of problems with my trusty 2wire routers ( rebooting when I try to stream tv ) tried new power supply and no luck , the only one that seems to still be working is my old DG834GT but can't be sure it's going to last for ever . I'm on a longline att 57 and was wondering which of the newer routers would fit the bill ? with out spending a fortune  cheers  :fingers:

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
Re: DG834GT replacement ?
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2015, 11:33:26 AM »

1. Could try the Netgear DG834v3 still to be found on eBay. Very good performer on extremely long lines (63dB d/s attn).

2. Could try the DLink DSL-320B _modem_, that is, in modem-only mode. It can be a router too, but is said to be seriously crap + buggy if used as a router, so use it in modem-only-mode, as preconfigured from the AAISP shop.
     http://aa.net.uk/broadband-accessories.html
Works with any normal ISP. Good on extremely long lines.

You will of course need a router of your choice to go with a modem.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2015, 05:27:31 PM »

I would suggest that whatever device you choose, make sure it is one with a Broadcom chipset.
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2015, 12:22:16 AM »

I've not checked your posting history and so apols if I'm missing anything but unless there is a reason to exclude the possibility of getting FTTC in the fullness of time, you may wish to ensure you get a VDSL2 compatible router.   :)

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2015, 01:02:54 AM »

Warning: in that case, you should ignore my earlier post as those devices don't speak VDSL2. I just picked kit that is exceptionally good on an extremely long line, assuming you were an ADSL or ADSL2 user.

If you may need VDSL2 later on, it might be worth taking a look at

* ZyXEL VMG1312-B - a router that speaks VDSL2 and ADSL, also does wireless LAN too. I have not tested one of these devices yet, so ask on the forum. This box can, I believe, also be a modem-only device too. So a single box solution for xDSL (or two box solution if you prefer to use a different router.) available from http://aa.net.uk/broadband-accessories.html

* the Draytek Vigor 130 - a modem, not a router. So you will need an appropriate router of your choice. Speaks VDSL2 and ADSL/ADSL2, so you can use it on an FTTC line as well as traditional ADSLx.

I have one, not given it proper testing yet, it may be slower than the DLink DSL-320B on ADSL on my ultra-long line, jury still out though, as it may be that it takes more time for BT DLM to adjust.

(Note : 1. Speaks PPPoA over the line, which is a very excellent thing. (Advantage - efficiency: faster and cheaper). Draytek devices are unique amongst DSL modems in this respect. 2. Allows full 1500-byte MTU / MRU, even on BT 20CN. Advantage: no risk of incompatibilities with stupid servers. Btw Your router also needs to support 1508 byte  PPPoE frames if you are to be able to use this excellent feature. Also, the modem needs to be on the latest firmware.)

noddy

• Reg Member
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2015, 08:17:17 AM »

thanks for the info so far any more options gratefully accepted  :)

noddy

• Reg Member
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2016, 08:23:04 AM »

1. Could try the Netgear DG834v3 still to be found on eBay. Very good performer on extremely long lines (63dB d/s attn).

2. Could try the DLink DSL-320B _modem_, that is, in modem-only mode. It can be a router too, but is said to be seriously crap + buggy if used as a router, so use it in modem-only-mode, as preconfigured from the AAISP shop.
     http://aa.net.uk/broadband-accessories.html
Works with any normal ISP. Good on extremely long lines.

You will of course need a router of your choice to go with a modem.
sorry to bring up an old posting but I'm seriously thinking of trying this option is it straight forward to set up always had combined routers up till now cheers   

pooclah

• Reg Member
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2016, 08:39:16 PM »

I’m not sure if it’s helpful to you but if it is in my spare parts box ‘which may be useful someday’ I have a Thompson TG585 v7 which I believe has a BCM6338 chipset.  It’s branded as a BeBox but I’m sure it could be re-flashed.

If you are interested PM me your name & address and I’ll box it up and post it to you providing you cover the cost of the postage with a donation to Kitz.

noddy

• Reg Member
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2016, 09:05:10 PM »

thanks for the offer still going through my options  ;)

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2016, 01:21:42 PM »

The Dlink modems are literally zero-setup if you get them preconfigured from the AAISP shop (see earlier post in this thread). You simply plug them in and that's it, nothing to do. I have three of them going all the time, plus a mountain of spares, in case of lightning strikes. (BTW: Big lightning display visible to the south of here last night, on the mainland and over the Small Isles.)

You will then _also_ need any Ethernet firewall/router that speaks PPPoE, and there are lots of good ones to choose from. The DLink is _not usuable as a router_ even if reconfigured, because of security probs, crap software. So it is (to cut a long story short) _just a modem_, and on its own it can't do the whole job, so this means a two-box solution, but it's very cheap and is superb if you have a long ADSL line. (Not for FTTC users.)

Ask for help about accompanying router choice if this is the way you want to go.

noddy

• Reg Member
« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2016, 10:28:02 PM »

Right got that  :) wonder if any of my router collection would be any good ? 2x 2700hgv's, Billion 7800n , 2x dg834gt's ( but think they are both on the way out ) or are there ones better suited for this job ? we were luck up here heard the thunder and only the odd flash out at sea  :)

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2016, 10:53:51 PM »

To use a separate modem and router configuration, the router would need to have an EWAN port (or a LAN port that could be reconfigured as an EWAN port).

To use the 2Wire devices as an example of a separate router, the 2700HGV would be a "no" but the 2701HGV-C would be a "yes". The former does not have a EWAN port, the latter does.
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

noddy

• Reg Member
« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2016, 07:26:32 AM »

so the 7800n would be the only possible one , or are there others that would do a better job ?

roswellgrey

« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2016, 07:42:14 AM »

The 7800N should work just fine - I have read many reports of people using it in this manner with good success.

However, afore you invest too much time with it, I would just check the wireless still works (if you are planning on using that part of its functionality). After mine had been in a drawer for a year or so, I came across reports of the wifi cards failing, so I checked mine and lo and behold it had died. (a shameful piece of "engineering" causes this).

Billion 8800NL

noddy

• Reg Member
« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2016, 08:20:37 AM »

The 7800N should work just fine - I have read many reports of people using it in this manner with good success.

However, afore you invest too much time with it, I would just check the wireless still works (if you are planning on using that part of its functionality). After mine had been in a drawer for a year or so, I came across reports of the wifi cards failing, so I checked mine and lo and behold it had died. (a shameful piece of "engineering" causes this).
will do cheers
Pages: [1] 2 3 4