Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7

Author Topic: iPad2 and iOS 9  (Read 49845 times)

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
Re: iPad2 and iOS 9
« Reply #75 on: February 07, 2016, 12:18:51 AM »

Comment from one of my friends today who's recently upgraded his ipad2 to iOS9.  He didn't know I'd had this problem too as I'd not mentioned it elsewhere other than here.
Seems Im not alone. :/

Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
« Reply #76 on: February 07, 2016, 02:04:40 AM »

And yet it's fine on the iPad 3 though, even despite the 3 having high res graphics.

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #77 on: February 07, 2016, 09:20:28 AM »

And still fine on my own iPad 2. Sure, it's a bit less responsive than I'd like, but no worse than iOS 8 and it's perfectly stable.  It remains the main 'buddy' that sits by my armchair, used for browsing, email, maps, the odd game, tracking friends' locations (yes spooky), etc etc. 

And our iPad Mini (64 bit CPU, Retina display), which was never that stable with iOS 8, has been a model of perfection since iOS 9.      Also OK on my iPhone 5C, which is now relatively old hardware although better half has just got a 6S, and that's certainly a lot snappier and more responsive in side-by-side comparison.

For the iPad 2 issues, I'm doubtful of the 'insufficient RAM' theory, else how come plenty of iPad 2s (mine included) are happy with iOS 9?   And yet others are clearly not, I remain baffled. :-\

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #78 on: February 07, 2016, 09:50:44 AM »

Incidentally I'm not the only person in the world with an iPad 2 that's good with iOS 9, this article pretty accurately describes my own experience...

http://arstechnica.co.uk/apple/2015/09/ios-9-on-the-ipad-2-not-worse-than-ios-8-but-missing-many-features/

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #79 on: February 07, 2016, 02:34:28 PM »

And yet it's fine on the iPad 3 though, even despite the 3 having high res graphics.

The ipad 3 has 1GB of RAM though.    The ipad2 only has 512MB. 

After installation of iOS9, you can see from my image below how little memory there was to run any apps. 

Total 503 MB
System 307 MB
Wired  89.72 MB
Active 59.44 MB
Free 46.26 MB

After a while 'Active memory' increases and most apps need more than 50MB of RAM to run.
I found viewing websites that had ads and vidoes the worst and the most likely to crash.

One of the games I used to play would no longer load after the upgrade to ioS9.   
It would sit there for a while showing the loading bar, then would crash.   Because I was a high level player, I had a lot of resources to load. :(

I tried a full and clean install but that didnt help.  :(
« Last Edit: February 07, 2016, 02:41:28 PM by kitz »
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #80 on: February 07, 2016, 02:37:48 PM »

Incidentally I'm not the only person in the world with an iPad 2 that's good with iOS 9, this article pretty accurately describes my own experience...

http://arstechnica.co.uk/apple/2015/09/ios-9-on-the-ipad-2-not-worse-than-ios-8-but-missing-many-features/

I believe you 7LM..  its just so damn frustrating that I found myself with a duff one. 
I'm also not alone if you search iOS9 and ipad 2, then there are a lot of people complaining about problems with ipad2 since ios9.
I just noticed that others complaining are ipad mini1, which has the same specs as the ipad2.
-----

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #81 on: February 11, 2016, 08:36:27 PM »

I would still love to understand, re the difference between Kitz's iPad and mine.   And one more thought has occurred...  I seem to remember Kitz has a reasonably fast VDSL connection, mine is a relatively sad (sorry Weaver) mid 20s Mbps.

So just wondering Kitz, whilst I know you no longer have the device for testing, would there even be a possibility that the problems arose only when exposed to faster broadband than mine, or can that be discounted?

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #82 on: February 12, 2016, 12:40:16 AM »

That can be discounted.  Ive had 80/20 for several years now. 
It definitely only started after iOS9 and I noticed it within the first day of upgrading   

Dont think a faster connection would cause things like keyboard lag either and having to wait for type to catch up. 
It certainly felt like a lack of resources - like in days of old on an old  PCs if it was doing something else.

Its also weird that some people started complaining with ioS 8,  yet that was ok for me. 
-----

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
« Reply #83 on: February 12, 2016, 12:48:38 AM »

I wonder if the difference between users' experiences could be due to a non-clean upgrade from iOS n-1, leaving some garbage eating up RAM or other resources. The theory goes that something should have been deleted/freed/unlinked during the upgrade but was left I pace so that at worst there was duplication of a new in-use object and a dead, effectively free object that is just a resource hog. Normally the hog should be deleted but for some reason the upgrade goes wrong in some circumstances and leaves in in place, neglected. A bit far fetched I know, but I'm struggling to think if the kind of latter that would give the variability we see here.

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #84 on: February 12, 2016, 08:40:00 AM »

To be clear Kitz, I was suggesting the problems you experienced may still have been strongly related to iOS 9, but also to the faster data, there must be something that is different between yours and mine.

I was vaguely thinking that a device handling a faster traffic stream may end up with more queued data buffers at the various interfaces, leading to more (at least, different) transient memory usage as well as the additional overhead of flow control procedures.    If later iOS are inherently a little more sluggish, it might increase such susceptibility, effectively expose bugs that would only be evident at higher data speeds.

Just another theory though, I shall have a think as to whether I might know anybody with 80/20 that would allow me to put it to the test. :-\

BTW, keyboard lag is a pain for mine too.  But  it has been that way since iOS 8 and unlike yours the device is otherwise stable, hence I can put up with it.

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #85 on: February 12, 2016, 09:29:23 AM »

I wonder if the difference between users' experiences could be due to a non-clean upgrade from iOS n-1, ....

Who knows, I'm certainly open-minded to such ideas?   In this case, Kitz initially tried an update, and them a full reset, which you would hope equated to a full wipe of device history - but who knows.

FWIW In my case, since it is essentially meant to be a test-device, I quite like to do as hard a reset as I can once in a while, as if it were a new born iPad.   So I think I installed iOS 8 by putting the iOS 7 device into recovery mode and then 'restoring' from iTunes with iOS 8, which afaik pretty much guarantees a totally clean start.  For iOS 9, I just said 'OK' to the update prompt.   Both operations went smoothly.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #86 on: February 12, 2016, 10:05:45 AM »

@ Weaver.   I did a full reset in an attempt to clear it.

@ 7LM Ive asked my friend and he'll probably get back to me later this eve.  Funny enough someone who is a mutual friend also joined in the convo saying 'same here'. He is on a VM cable fast connection.

I should add that when I tested it after the reset and it was being laggy straight after here on the MEN website when it eventually crashed.   I dont have it any more so cant do any testing.  I havent heard any moans from her, but I think her internet connection speed is on about a par with her wifi speed if that makes any difference.   Im deliberately not pursuing it because I feel bad that I may have given her a duff pressie.   I was hoping the reset would cure and when she opened it here at christmas, it crashed a few times over the course of the day. 
-----

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #87 on: February 12, 2016, 10:28:09 AM »

I just remembered, I believe I am being summoned tomorrow to assist an elderly relative with some DIY.  She has BT Infinity and lives in a fairly dense housing estate spitting distance from the exchange so a chance that will have something close to 80/20.  I will take along my iPad 2.  :)

There are many other variables, such as WiFi speed so no matter how my iPad behaves, it will be hard to draw any concrete conclusions.  But if there are any interesting symptoms I will report back!

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #88 on: February 12, 2016, 01:55:44 PM »

Here you go

At home I have cable with up to 200Mb, typical download speed is often around 150-170 download and 10-12 upload, but I get the same performance issue wherever I am, such as hotels etc.
-----

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #89 on: February 13, 2016, 01:41:08 PM »

I just remembered, I believe I am being summoned tomorrow to assist an elderly relative with some DIY.  She has BT Infinity and lives in a fairly dense housing estate spitting distance from the exchange so a chance that will have something close to 80/20.  I will take along my iPad 2.  :)

Sorry, I failed.  After connecting to the HH WiFi, the iPad's browser was incessantly redirected to a HH welcome page, inviting me to perform some setting up.   Is that normal for a BT HH?  Funny, because I connected the iPhone to same HH a few months ago, worked fine, still has the password and is still working fine.   

I certainly didn't want plough through router setup lest I disturbed a house of cards. Home owner is an extreme non-techie but her iPad and laptop were working well, it wasn't broke, so I chose not to fix it.    :blush:
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7

anything