Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Aldi on Thusday 13th March  (Read 18899 times)

scottiesmum

Re: Aldi on Thusday 13th March
« Reply #15 on: March 11, 2008, 05:36:58 PM »

I think you should all be wary of buying anything on the 13th !!!     :lol:

oldfogy

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
  • If it ain't broke....... I'll soon fix it.
« Reply #16 on: March 11, 2008, 05:49:06 PM »

I think you should all be wary of buying anything on the 13th !!!     :lol:
Yes but at least it's not FRIDAY the 13th. >:D

Astral

• Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #17 on: March 11, 2008, 05:52:18 PM »

I've just received a new version of this offer and I take back what I said about the sat-nav. I hadn't realised that lifetime TMC was included so that is a pretty competitive price.

oldfogy

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #18 on: March 11, 2008, 06:02:34 PM »

I've just received a new version of this offer and I take back what I said about the sat-nav. I hadn't realised that lifetime TMC was included so that is a pretty competitive price.
Did I miss something here? :sleep: (mods, who would have them)

However, the majority verdict on TMC for "Sat Navs" over on (probably the biggest sat nav forum http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/ )
 is that it's a waste of time, on some tests where people have ignored the TMC warning, this proved just as well in 99.9% of all occasions as the info was not exactly incorrect, "just not up-to-date" and taking the advice of the TMC would have made the journey unnecessarily longer.

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #19 on: March 13, 2008, 12:51:43 PM »

Anyone been tempted?  :)

oldfogy

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #20 on: March 13, 2008, 12:57:56 PM »

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #21 on: March 13, 2008, 01:10:08 PM »

Keep us posted OF,I must admit it is a brand I have never considered  so it is handy to know other peoples first hand comments.  :)

oldfogy

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #22 on: March 13, 2008, 01:22:26 PM »

My very first NEW PC was a Medion four years ago and no more than than usual problems.
(although at the time they did have a batch of faulty graphics cards) which could happen to anyone.

I also know at least a couple of other members here have also purchased Medion products in the past and I believe are pretty impressed also, (Kitz herself for one).

Personally I have found their help-line very helpful and friendly in the past.
(This has usually been in connection with general enquiries with regards to other products either purchased or intended purchases).

Am having problems with my internet connection at the moment so may well be off line until later. :'(

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #23 on: March 13, 2008, 02:07:56 PM »

I popped into Aldi about mid-day, and they still had one left unsold, and also one of the batch from a couple of weeks ago. But I've resisted temptation. I left empty-handed.

Hope you enjoy the machine, OF. :)
  Eric

oldfogy

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
Re: Aldi on Thursday 13th March
« Reply #24 on: March 13, 2008, 02:44:54 PM »

Still looking at it still standing in the middle of the floor at the moment.
But I have to say it is fairly horrible inside.

I got mine at 09:30 and they had only one left after that

Although I very nearly didn't get there that early because of a domestic problem (no water, a workman came yesterday to change the stop-cock under the sink which was slightly leaking and ended up snapping the mains stop-cock in the road leaving the water gushing out until Severn Trent came to fix it, "stupid plastic stop-cocks")  :thumbdown:

Not forgotten, managed to get it set-up (well sort of, bl***y Vista)
So far I've deleted roughly 2- 3 4GB of trial programs because I don't want them.

At the moment the only main problem is getting "PERMISSION" to access the network from my XP machine.
But I had exactly the same problem on my friends PCs (laptops) just after Christmas,
XP to XP = no problem
Vista to XP = no problem
XP to Vista = NO WAY

It sees the folders but just says "No permission to access" etc.
Other than not, not much really to say about it, except I discovered Vista has a nice tool for creating further portions, it's called "Shrink Volume" which allows you to create another partition from any of the free space not currently being used on the drive "even the C: drive" (but not as much as I would like to use).

Latest update:
Still major problems with this bl***y permissions lark when trying to access the network from my XP PC, but other than that, what can I say.

The PC itself is good, just converted a movie both with VSO and Nero in 30/40 minutes which on my old PC would take about two and a half "hours" (though again not the version of Nero that was supplied, as it was only a very basic version)

So far also still unable to add to the "SendTo" folder (Permission problem)

Also Still not been able to dual boot it yet as I need to connect a floppy drive (fortunately there is the connection for it, but no where to mount it) to be able to load the SATA driver on install (and I threw all my spares away only a couple of months ago).
Although it boots from my USB floppy drive as I just used it to do a Norton Ghost backup (before I wreck it "again"  :lol: (don't ask) but a factory re-store solved that problem.  :thumbs:

I also managed to reclaim most of the HDD, leaving the Vista C: partition with only 100GB.
(I like smallish operating partitions as it makes it easier to create image backups and all my own work is saved on a different partition, so no problem with losing it with a restore).

Finally, I have to admit the HDD is not as quite as I thought it would be, when under load that is (defrag etc).
« Last Edit: March 15, 2008, 11:21:14 PM by oldfogy »

oldfogy

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
Re: Aldi on Thursday 13th March
« Reply #25 on: March 16, 2008, 01:22:32 AM »

EUREKA  :clap:
Folder permissions to be able to access a network?

What I did was to give each PC the same User name "Password" (in User Accounts)  not that I like passwords, "but at least it worked".
Now when trying to access Vista from the XP machine it opens straight-away.
(no need to enter any password though)

I did try a couple of variations, such as a password only on the one PC but that did not work.
So, same user name and password on both PC's and it works okay.

Now to try and find a way of starting the PC without having to enter the password!
Any ideas please?

mr_chris

• Kitizen
« Reply #26 on: March 16, 2008, 03:49:49 AM »

By default Vista will not allow network access without a password for security reasons, even if there is an administrator account without a password. This is a good idea IMO - it stops computers that are joined to a public network, (or even unfirewalled ones over the Internet) from being accessed without a password.

XP by default on a workgroup (home network) allows guest access from the other computers, Vista doesn't. I prefer to make sure each PC has a user account with the same username, like you've already done, and having no password. Here's how you should be able to make it work in Vista with no password.

Note, I don't have a Vista install at the moment so can't test it out, unfortunately, but one of the following two methods should work!

Firstly, try going to Control Panel - Network and Sharing Centre - and then underneath the Sharing and Discovery section, try turning off "Password protected sharing". Make sure your accounts don't have passwords. Does this work?

Failing that, a quick google revealed an answer that should work (for reference, all I searched for was vista network access without password). According to this page you can do the following on your Vista machine:

1. Go to Start -> Run and enter gpedit.msc
2. Go to Computer Configuration / Windows Settings / Security Settings / Local Policies / Security Options
3. Double click on Accounts. There will be an option called Limit local account use of blank passwords to console login only. Disable this option and you will then be able to login to to Vista over the network without using a password.

If you would try the first one first and let me know if it works or not, I'd be grateful - really just for my own learning purposes, just so I know if it works or not!

Hope that helps :)
Chris

oldfogy

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #27 on: March 16, 2008, 03:18:29 PM »

Thanks Chris.

The first suggestion "partially" works, which is better than none at all.
This will allow access to the "Public Folder" from XP, but not to any of the other drives/partitions on Vista that are shared.

The second suggestion (for me at least) did not work.
As I am unable to find the gpedit.msc file/folder with the search function, even after showing and selecting "Hidden & System files"
Although there are gpedit.dll etc files on the system.

What I did was to:
1. Go to Start and type Run and then type gpedit.msc  (which is slightly different instructions than the original)
Pages: 1 [2]