Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Windows 10 nagging update  (Read 4221 times)

licquorice

• Reg Member
Windows 10 nagging update
« on: October 15, 2015, 11:51:07 AM »

Notice that my Windows 7 machine has just had the Windows 10 naggers kb3035583 and kb2952664 re-installed despite being set as hidden updates. They are now also being pushed as 'Important' rather than 'Optional'.

Re: Windows 10 nagging update
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2015, 11:53:23 AM »

Yeah MS re-issued them at the start of October. I'm getting very close to the stage that Windows Update is going to be permanently turned off as it cannot be trusted in any way now.

AArdvark

• Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2015, 12:44:45 PM »

Set windows update to notify only and examine updates via google first to identify what to ignore.
MS are getting beyond a joke and annoying lots of once loyal users.
At least it is clear what they are doing now and what they think of your privacy or ability to make choices on 'Your Computer' !!.
:angry:

underzone

• Reg Member
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2015, 01:59:28 PM »

licquorice

• Reg Member
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2015, 02:17:16 PM »

Just install Windows 10. Then run this:

I don't particularly want Windows10 thank you very much. Nor do I wish to be constantly nagged about it despite taking steps to prevent nags.

« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2015, 05:33:57 PM »

Set windows update to notify only and examine updates via google first to identify what to ignore.

I have but going around machines to do this is a PITA.

Also the wife has Office 2016 on her notebook so (unlike the rest of the family/etc) I can't turn off the updates for other MS products safely. This results in a spiral of KB3035583 being presented if you try to hide/prohibit it.

For now I do a weekly update on her notepad (she works away in the week) and that's probably OK.

Bottom line is that Windows Update can't really be trusted now for most users.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2015, 06:50:22 PM »

It really does seem as if M$ have shot themselves in both feet, simultaneously.  :-X
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

AArdvark

• Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2015, 07:55:07 PM »

Judging by the number of shots that have gone off to date, I can only reach the conclusion that the feet were prosthetic to begin with. :) :)

Either that or MS enjoys pain, regularly. :)

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2015, 03:37:58 AM »

its highly recommended to not use auto updating, turning it off isnt a great idea either, however a good intermediate option is to set to auto notify only.  So you get alerted for updates but thats it.  Microsoft are definitely been naughty now.  The only reason to reissue the updates is to catch people out who hidden them previously, there would be no other reason.  So they not respecting user choice.

licquorice

• Reg Member
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2015, 08:28:05 AM »

I have my Win7 PC set to just auto notify but tend to just run the 'Important' updates without checking but investigate 'Optional' ones. By re-issuing them as 'Important' MS are being very naughty.

« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2015, 10:00:37 AM »

After having had a look at all the machines here I'm turning Windows Updates off. Every single "non-security" update in the last month is basically a data slurper or Windows 10 crapware.

Game over for MS here, won't be purchasing anything with Windows on it ever again.

Edit - I am told there's going to be a write-up of MSs latest (October) trojans on a couple of sites soon (& I don't mean El Reg, who are basically lifting much of their coverage from elsewhere on "UpdateGate2"). MS are spinning it all as "a mistake" but if you believe that then you are very naive indeed. Windows Updates cannot be trusted now so my advice is to turn them off and only check/install them after you've done a backup. For now you are probably better googling each update KB number as the description MS supplies is often disingenuous. I hope the Irish data commissioner is ready for the onslaught of complaints regarding MS now that Safe Harbor is dead & buried, I'm sure the "double-Irish" was worth it mmmm ;)
« Last Edit: October 16, 2015, 01:23:15 PM by rizla »

« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2015, 04:31:50 PM »

..and the eldest daughter's machine (she's back from uni this weekend) has similar "infections" - KB3035583 is back amongst others.

I've seen the suggestion that its the monthly update to the Windows Update agent (updates for that every month for the last 4 months) which is allowing MS to subvert users settings so that's probably another update you want to deny.

This is bloody ridiculous :(

parkdale

• Reg Member
« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2015, 04:54:27 PM »

Vodafone FTTC ECI cab 40/10Mb connection / Fritz!box7590

« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2015, 05:57:59 PM »

All that does is automate the uninstall/registry edits I've already done - not planning on doing that from an unknown third-party on any sort of basis ;)