Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Two seemingly different issues with my FTTC  (Read 4635 times)

broadstairs

• Kitizen
Two seemingly different issues with my FTTC
« on: October 07, 2015, 08:34:10 PM »

I have been keeping a close watch on my errors on my FTTC connection. It would seem I have two different issues. Firstly I have a problem with my SNRM downstream mainly with my phone. For example tonight when our son called on the landline my SNRM dropped for the duration of the phone call between about 18:50 and 19:20 (yes he and our grandson chat for ages!). I suspect other dips in SNRM are also when we take phone calls on the landline. I also have a problem with sometimes huge spikes in FECs see at 13:52 at 70,000+ which seem to happen randomly and this time 3500+ CRCs as well (at this time I dont believe the phone was in use).

Now I guess the phone issue could be my faceplate breaking down and I have a spare which I will try. However I suspect the huge FEC spikes may be external but have no idea why or how to find out what might be the cause.

Any ideas?

Stuart
ISP:Vodafone Router:Vodafone Wi-Fi hub FTTP

Dray

• Kitizen
Re: Two seemingly different issues with my FTTC
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2015, 08:45:27 PM »

This could be a line fault or maybe a filter problem. I find that if I add 2 or 3 dangly filters in series with the phone on the end seems to help. Although the OR engineer nearly fainted when he saw it.

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2015, 09:51:22 PM »

Did you get spikes of errored seconds when the phone landline rings ?

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2015, 10:16:07 PM »

Not as far as I can tell, just the SNRM drops for the duration of the call.

Stuart

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2015, 11:37:41 PM »

Stuart

That's ok what i get when the phones rings is US errored second spikes yet don't see any changes in the SNRM on DS or US.

what i have done to-night is to remove SSFP MK3 and replace it with the MK2, would have liked to install the original MK1 but the B IDC connector looks damaged.

All that remains is to call my landline and see if the SSFP was the problem  :-\

Edit: made a call to landline at 23:52 and two US CRC's came in so it's the not an issue with the SSFP it's looking more like a small line fault as expected (HR issue on one leg)
« Last Edit: October 07, 2015, 11:58:42 PM by NewtronStar »

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2015, 11:38:10 PM »

I can see why N*Star asked the question and from your reply we see that the SNRM is depressed only when the telephone loops the pair.

So, in no particular order, try:
  • a different telephone
  • (if a centralised filter) a different filter (or as Dray suggests, daisy-chain one or more micro-filter(s) with the centralised filter)
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2015, 08:07:41 AM »

I suspect the filters might be the issue as I dont believe I initially had this problem when the phones were installed, I am pretty sure this is a recent problem so I'll change/add filters and see what happens.

Stuart

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2015, 05:01:40 PM »

Well I found what I think was an unused filter and plugged it in between the main dect phone and the socket, I also unplugged the second upstairs ordinary phone from the filtered faceplate on the main socket. Then using the dect phone called 1471, the SNRM still dropped so I guess it is either the dect phone or the line itself.

Anyway I'll do some more testing later with neither phone plugged in and then call myself from my mobile just to see if anything happens.

Stuart

Just tested with neither phone plugged in and on calling my own number from the mobile I can see a dip in upstream SNRM but a slight increase in the downstream SNRM for the duration of me calling.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2015, 05:13:18 PM by broadstairs »

Dray

• Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2015, 06:08:45 PM »

Sounds like a line fault, water ingress for example.

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2015, 06:14:25 PM »

I had a very similar problem with reduced SNRM while my Philips DECT phone was in use, double-microfiltering it helped a lot. In the end I got rid of the phone altogether, zero PSTN phones.

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2015, 10:32:32 PM »

Well one more test done. I unplugged the dect phone and then used the ordinary phone to make a call, same drop of SNRM so it happens with both phones. Now I have an SSFP Mk3 on the master socket and I have a spare SSFP as yet unused. So next step is to isolate the house wiring and test, the replace the SSFP with the new one and test again. If I still have an issue which happens even with all house wiring disconnected what worries me is getting TT to do anything because so far all I get is a drop in SNRM, my connection does not drop and I dont seem to have a noisy line so I guess they might not want to do anything.

Stuart

[Moderator edited to correct two minor typos.]
« Last Edit: October 09, 2015, 01:23:10 AM by burakkucat »

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2015, 07:50:40 PM »

I think both you and i need to understand how the telephone can effect our broadband and what is the cause.

Broadstairs has SNRM drop during the call I have US errored seconds when the phones rings so i was wondering if an expert would be able to explain the process's during a phone call and why it would interfere with broadband.

All i know is the voice/landline use's the lower tones and the broadband filter seperates the low tones for voice and higher tones for broadband.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2015, 07:52:56 PM by NewtronStar »

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2015, 02:41:44 AM »

I suggest trying an ADSL Nation filter, see how that holds up. There is a faceplate type and a dangly type (the XF-1E) and I believe they are of similar design. If memory serves, these are one of only two designs that have transistors in them, the idea of this complexity being that it copes well with the differences caused by varying load between the on-hook and off-hook situations where there could be various types of phone and varying numbers of phones and so on. This means that the load presented to the filter is unknown.

Apologies if this is a bit vague as it's a long time since I read up on this. I read a chapter on microfilter design in a DSL text book. The other transistorised filter iirc is a French design, can't remember who, and I failed to get hold of one to try.

anything