Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Latest Snowden jokes  (Read 2313 times)

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
Latest Snowden jokes
« on: October 05, 2015, 11:52:02 PM »

I think that 'jokes' seems the best forum for this post?

Ever since Snowden hit the headlines I have been open-minded as to his credibility or motives.  Today it seems, he has released his latest 'shock horror' revelations, that GCHQ can not only tap your mobile phone, but can also switch it on remotely if it is off. ???

Clearly, he has never encountered the catch 22 of Myth TV builders... No matter how good is the  home-built IR remote interface, it will always be impossible to turn it on once it is off, since the IR detectors are unpowered, and incapable of receiving the commands to power on.  :D

It is vaguely conceivable that what he really means was, that GCHQ could stop you switching the phone off completely.   But  that would be very obvious by the battery drain.   And if he's such a  clever secret agent,  why did he not  make that distinction?   ::)

Utter BS, shame on BBC for giving it airtime. >:(

loonylion

• Reg Member
Re: Latest Snowden jokes
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2015, 12:17:36 AM »

I read it as 'off' being the modern definition of 'off', which is basically sleep mode. Its also not inconceivable that a smartphone is incapable of being completely 'off' and periodically checks in with the network or something.

Some time ago my dad had a Nokia that started to drain the battery in a few days, whether switched on or off. The battery was replaced with known good one and the problem still persisted. Clearly the power switch wasn't turning it off entirely.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2015, 12:18:25 AM »

When I read that latest "revelation" I shook my head  :no:  and wondered who would believe it.

As my telephone is quite dumb, I smiled at the thought of anyone even thinking of trying to remotely turn it on.  :D
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2015, 12:21:23 AM »

I dont have the time nor inclination to type out my true thoughts on Snowden.
So he's disclosed some things that some of us thought may be possible, he's put certain people at risk.  Do I think this was worth it for his 15mins of fame.. no I dont.  Do I really feel that 'we the people' have benefited from his disclosures - nope.

it will always be impossible to turn it on once it is off,

Reminds me of a discussion last week re a friend that works at an ISP tech support where customers think that the SP can magically and remotely turn on routers that arent switched on...  or plugged into the mains... or even have network cables attached.  Considering its not a consumer based SP for residential users, it surprising the level of some businesses ITguys.   He has me in stitches sometimes at some of his tales.   One of the classics of his for not being plugged in to anything "Oh I thought it was wireless".    :wall:
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2015, 12:32:13 AM »

Some time ago my dad had a Nokia that started to drain the battery in a few days, whether switched on or off. The battery was replaced with known good one and the problem still persisted.

A very common problem caused by leaky decoupling capacitors.   :)

« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2015, 12:28:51 PM »

He's the only reason that the "Safe Harbor" (AKA give all your data to the US govt so they can use the metadata to spy on you) scheme is now toast. For that alone he gets a +1 from me.

I don't agree with you kitz - I know senior members of the US army, several at O-6 (Colonel) to O-8 (Major General) who've worked in army intelligence for 10+ years and they all say the same thing in private : "Snowden didn't put anyone at risk of physical harm, its all bullshit from the US/UK govts". They definitely hate Snowden as they view him as a traitor but they all acknowledge the only individual harm to people was prosecution for failing to comply with US laws.