Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Author Topic: Mains grid & wind  (Read 11816 times)

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
Re: Mains grid & wind
« Reply #45 on: April 05, 2016, 06:23:29 PM »

I ripped out the hot water tank about 11 years ago and installed a nice big combi, so that idea is a no go. They actually do a kit so that the immersion is only powered when your producing excess electric, which is a great idea for people with hot water tanks. Battery systems are now available which is a better idea but depends on cost, be great if they still paid 50% when it all went into charging  batteries, but I bet they have that sown up!

We actually had an engineer arrive yesterday, around 2pm just to check the voltage, he said it was fine but as the problem only shows up at night he'll recommend a monitor is fitted.
Formerly restrained by ECI and ali,  now surfing along at 550/52  ;D

Starman

• Reg Member
« Reply #46 on: April 05, 2016, 07:51:45 PM »

Yeah a voltage recorder should be fitted - the local voltage complaints engineer should contact you and book an appointment.

plexy

• Reg Member
« Reply #47 on: April 05, 2016, 09:37:12 PM »

:cool:

Wonder if our problems here are related. New huge windfarm went up about nine months back and since then we go through lightbulbs at a rate of one or two a week. Halogens are particularly affected. Never connected the two before till I read this post so will check what our voltage is doing.
--
SSE 80/20
Sky 40/10
Zen 80/20
Bonded: 200/50 (in progress)

Hardware:Hg612/HH5/Tg589vac/Linux SBC router

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #48 on: April 06, 2016, 06:14:53 AM »

Apparently light bulbs blowing regularly is what most people notice the problem by.

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP CF
« Reply #49 on: April 06, 2016, 08:51:23 AM »

i suspect voltage issues myself,  i get bulbs blowing early,  they also all flicker when first turned on and have not been on for a while

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #50 on: April 14, 2016, 07:32:39 PM »

Had a phone call from an engineer this morning to arrange for installation of the voltage monitor, he said he had a hunch it might be something to do with our main substation in St Peters. I got a text from him tonight saying he'd made a call after we spoke and his suspicions were confirmed! He'd heard back this afternoon that adjustments had been made at the primary sub and had just checked again and seems to running steady at historic levels. I'm not sure what was adjusted but he's going to ring me next week to see how things are looking.

Whatever they've done I can see the effect already, a distinct decrease in voltage from around 247 to around 240 at 13:30 this afternoon. The attached graph shows the drop off in voltage on the end of the trace, the guide line that's in the top trace being 250v

Starman

• Reg Member
« Reply #51 on: April 14, 2016, 09:11:54 PM »

Well if you didn't loose supply then its likely that an on load tap was adjusted.

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #52 on: April 15, 2016, 07:50:16 AM »

No loss of supply, and no email last night warning of over voltage  :fingers:
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]