Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Watch your iPhone data usage  (Read 17339 times)

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
Re: Watch your iPhone data usage
« Reply #15 on: October 01, 2015, 10:50:38 PM »

I do likewise. (With the same Nokia telephone that was new in 2005.) PAYG, telephony and text messages only.  ;)
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #16 on: October 01, 2015, 11:05:56 PM »

Hats off to those who resist mobile data.

I tried for a while, but then I enabled email download which I'd use when very occasionally needed, away from home.   Then I discovered things such as that the rail departures online are often more up accurate than the station signs.   Then I discovered that while sipping a beer in the station bar, waiting for the train I knew to be late,  I could catch up on BBC news.   Or I could even visit Kitz's forums.

And by that time I was hooked, I can no longer restrain myself and even now use data freely when abroad.   So do beware, maintain your resolve, else the slippery slope will prevail...     :-[

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #17 on: October 02, 2015, 10:16:23 AM »

It can get a bit addictive,  but also is extremely useful. On our recent holiday to Spain we decided to go by train from Barcelona to Salou, with my phone/tablet I could check train times and fares.With Google maps we could very easily find our way around. And on the last day which we spent in Barcelona I used an excellent app on my phone which showed the routes, bus stops and actual live locations of all that companies tour buses, simply brilliant. Oh and we could also check in and choose our seats for the return flight all thanks to mobile data.

When we go to London I use an app for the underground, an app for train times, again so very useful, I wouldn't be without it now.

PS. Facebook has recently been uninstalled,  luckily it's not something I ever got into.

Formerly restrained by ECI and ali,  now surfing along at 390/36  ;D

« Reply #18 on: October 02, 2015, 12:09:52 PM »

I think the issue with this "Wifi Assist" is that people are finding that they're using their mobile bandwidth allowance at home when they think that they're actually using their home wireless connection.

From what I can see iOS9 will switch to 3G/4G when the wifi connectivity is "poor" - which is pretty ambiguous IMHO.

Eg my daughter's phone has "issues" with a Ruckus access point in uni halls & frequently drops below 20Mbps PHY speed (ie the reported connection speed) which results in 3-4Mbps max data speed but often around 1-2Mbps. At this point the phone decides to switch to 3G as its much faster but there's no indication that this has actually occurred. She had no clue this was happening and has used around half her monthly allowance in the first week.

So I think there is in fact an issue here which is going to bite a fair few users on the bum.....

« Reply #19 on: October 02, 2015, 12:13:07 PM »

It can get a bit addictive,  but also is extremely useful. On our recent holiday to Spain we decided to go by train from Barcelona to Salou, with my phone/tablet I could check train times and fares.With Google maps we could very easily find our way around. And on the last day which we spent in Barcelona I used an excellent app on my phone which showed the routes, bus stops and actual live locations of all that companies tour buses, simply brilliant. Oh and we could also check in and choose our seats for the return flight all thanks to mobile data.

When we go to London I use an app for the underground, an app for train times, again so very useful, I wouldn't be without it now.

PS. Facebook has recently been uninstalled,  luckily it's not something I ever got into.

I recommend you don't change your phone/plan ever again :D Reason being that if you do then the "One Plan" is no longer available, nor is tethering (that'll get you booted if you do it). My other daughter upgraded a year or so back to a S4 mini but her "unlimited" data plan is now toast.

Edit - it wouldn't have mattered if she had bought it herself as it needed a different sized SIM & its the SIM change which triggers the change in plan - so for example if you needed a 4G SIM then 3 will not provide it on the same terms as the One Plan.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2015, 12:16:40 PM by rizla »

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #20 on: October 02, 2015, 02:32:37 PM »

Don't worry Rizla,  I have no intention of changing, well aware of the situation thanks.

If you get a new phone you can get tools to trim the sim card, you can even get adapters to go back to the original size.

« Reply #21 on: October 02, 2015, 02:40:19 PM »

Aye but you can't turn a 3G SIM into a 4G SIM :)

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #22 on: October 02, 2015, 07:34:01 PM »

I wasn't aware the sims were different, but to be honest I have no need for 4G speeds. I've actually managed to get 27/9mbps on 3G in the past, but normal 3G speeds are fine for what I use it for.

I'm not even sure if I need a new sim, this page states the following

Every Three customer with a 4G Ready device will get a 4G upgrade at no extra cost. It’ll be easy to switch over too, all that’s required is a simple software update. You won’t even need to go in to a store. There’ll be no new contract to sign, no new SIM and no tariff change. We really want this transition to be as easy as possible for our customers.

Not only that, but our famous All You Can Eat data offering will still be available on 4G. So you’ll be able to share even more, ponies, pugs and kittens. Which can only be a good thing, right?

Now I've just enabled the option on my phone to use LTE networks, now all I need to do is find a 4G signal to test it. We're going up to London next week (another hospital visit) so that should be a good test, although according to Three we should have a 4G signal here, although I'm on the borders and it states outside only.

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #23 on: October 02, 2015, 10:15:53 PM »

Ronski you dont need to go to the Smoke for 4G, I get 4G here in Broadstairs and it is quite good up at Westwood Cross as well.

Stuart
ISP:Vodafone Router:Vodafone Wi-Fi hub FTTP

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #24 on: October 02, 2015, 10:50:51 PM »

Yeah I see that from Three's coverage checker (thanks for confirming we do actually have it though), but it doe's show my location as poor indoors reception - without a known good 4G phone I don't if I just have bad reception or the phone/sim/settings are not correct. I'll keep an eye on it when I'm out and about over the weekend.

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #25 on: October 02, 2015, 10:53:43 PM »

I've also found that 4G is just as likely as 3G when out in the sticks, that's Vodafone.   Most of the time it's just gprs or edge, mind, but there are a few places where 3G or 4G kick in.

Curiously,  4G on Vodafone PAYG not meant to work at all for me with my £10 'poverty' bundles.   According to their website 4G only meant to work on PAYG if you get a £20 bundle (which also gives more data and airtime) but a few months ago mine suddenly started displaying 4G, I also got a text from Vodafone telling I now had 4G.   It has continued ever since, including when travelling in Europe. 

Can't say I've noticed much difference though apart from feeling smug about the '4G icon'.  But then 3G was always adequate for me anyway.

AArdvark

• Kitizen
« Reply #26 on: October 02, 2015, 11:10:22 PM »

Yeah I see that from Three's coverage checker (thanks for confirming we do actually have it though), but it doe's show my location as poor indoors reception - without a known good 4G phone I don't if I just have bad reception or the phone/sim/settings are not correct. I'll keep an eye on it when I'm out and about over the weekend.
Don't get too focused on the coverage checker.
Three are prone to a little bit of 'fiction' when stating their coverage.
I am a Three users of many years, for the 'all you can eat data', and the coverage at my home is supposed to be good indoors & out.
It is NOT ...... I cannot make a call if I am downstairs and even using the '3 in Touch - via WiFi' app is a bit flaky.
It is always fine anywhere whilst driving but gets flaky indoors.

I am hoping the O2 takeover will give them better coverage and signal strength. (Not holding breath just yet.  ;D ;D

BTW: My Phone is an LG G3, approx 14 months old, which should be more than capable of working if the signal is good. (Picks up Vodafone, O2 perfectly fine indoors  ???)

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #27 on: October 02, 2015, 11:11:24 PM »

To be honest I've not done any speed tests on my 4G but it fairly zips through my email download when checking it, it feels as fast as I get at home on the PC on FTTC.

Stuart
ISP:Vodafone Router:Vodafone Wi-Fi hub FTTP

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #28 on: October 03, 2015, 07:03:05 AM »

I've found the signal varies a lot around Broadstairs, here's a 3G H+ speed test from inside my house this morning, last night it was a lot slower.

http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/a/1487614055
« Last Edit: October 03, 2015, 07:10:19 AM by Ronski »

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #29 on: October 07, 2015, 06:08:16 PM »

Well good news for me, 4G is now working on my phone, just don't seem to be able to receive it at home, ,which doesn't really matter. PS  no change of sim required on 3  ;D
« Last Edit: October 07, 2015, 06:35:17 PM by Ronski »
Pages: 1 [2] 3

anything