Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Watch your iPhone data usage  (Read 17337 times)

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
Watch your iPhone data usage
« on: September 30, 2015, 10:09:06 AM »

Seems the can do nothing wrong Apple has slipped up again  :P
Formerly restrained by ECI and ali,  now surfing along at 390/36  ;D

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
Re: Watch your iPhone data usage
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2015, 10:26:52 AM »

Sounds like just another bit of hysteria dreamed up by Apple haters

I haven't installed iOS 9 yet, but every smartphone I have ever had has had the tendency to switch to mobile data when out of range of WiFi.    Sounds to me like they're simply adding the capability to have fine grained control of that handover, ie that are adding a cost-saving facility that happens to be off by default, for backwards compatibility with earlier versions.

If you don't want that to happen, there has always been a setting to completely disable mobile data, has that changed with iOS 9?

But as I say, I've not yet installed iOS 9, so may be missing something.

Dray

• Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2015, 10:36:31 AM »

I can't see a problem here, I thought switching to mobile data from wifi was the default behaviour anyway.

It just seems that now you can turn off the default behaviour but why would anyone want to?

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2015, 01:13:03 PM »

This is not in many ways unique to Apple. My Android phone will always use the phone network if it has wi-fi turned off or if the wi-fi connection fails and loses connection, however it wont switch if the internet connection via my router goes down or if the signal is bad. I can also turn off mobile data as well. I do use a monitoring app which I check regularly to see how I'm doing. So I guess whether you are Apple or Android you just need to be careful.

Stuart
ISP:Vodafone Router:Vodafone Wi-Fi hub FTTP

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2015, 01:21:46 PM »

There certainly seems to be some issue with going by all the complaints if you Google.

If MS had done this you'd all be slating them >:D

Dray

• Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2015, 01:22:47 PM »

Only those 2 people who use a Windows phone.

AArdvark

• Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2015, 03:50:49 PM »

Only those 2 people who use a Windows phone.
I didn't realise Windows Phone users had gone into 'Double' figures  :D :lol: ??

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2015, 06:20:45 PM »

There certainly seems to be some issue with going by all the complaints if you Google.

I do agree it seems to be getting a lot of coverage.  And not just the ad-laden web sites and redtops, even the Washington Post had covered it.   But it does seem to be the same old story recycled - I guess anything that's critical of Apple is guaranteed to sell a few copies, to lovers and haters of Apple alike.

The Guardian has a more measured discussion...

http://www.theguardian.com/technology/2015/sep/30/ignore-the-haters-wi-fi-assist-is-ios-9

From the Guardian, I liked...

One user posted on the Apple support forums asking how to turn off Wi-Fi Assist on their iPhone 4S, blaming it for making their phone be “super slow, glitchy, and losing battery fast”. A few posts later, they got their answer: Wi-Fi Assist isn’t actually on the iPhone 4S.
:D

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2015, 06:56:18 PM »

That does indeed seem a much better write up 7LM, and now it's clear what the features doing as well.

I'm also happy to say that I'm not one of the two Windows Phone users, I'm a reasonably happy Android user with an unlimited data plan on Three for the princely sum of £15 a month and that includes tethering ;D

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2015, 09:28:57 PM »

I'm also happy to say that I'm not one of the two Windows Phone users, I'm a reasonably happy Android user with an unlimited data plan on Three for the princely sum of £15 a month and that includes tethering ;D

That's pretty good.  I'm on Vodafone PAYG, for which a £10 monthly payment (they call it a 'bundle' or a 'freebie' or some such marketing twaddle) gets me all the calls and texts I need and 500MB of data.   I have never got anywhere near that limit but, if I were ever to accidentally exceed it, costs do indeed become crippling.   So when I install iOS 9 I shall be keeping an eye on usage, but then I always have done.

And of course, with the Vodafone £10 deal I also have to buy the phone.

One curious thing is, Vodafone have always been quite clear that tethering is not available on PAYG.  Yet I have been using it for years now in occasional emergencies such as hotel rooms with no free broadband, so the various tablets we carry around can work in addition to the phone.   Maybe I should keep quiet about it, just in case Vodafone read this and decide to fix it.   Oops, too late?   :D

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2015, 10:27:53 PM »

I have to buy my own phone to, currently an S4. The plan I have is the One Plan sim only which was always £25, for a short while they offered it at a £10 discount so  I very quickly signed up.

I always tethered on my previous sim,  but only Android device's so as not to raise suspicions,  but every so often I'd get blocked (I think the mail app on my tablet triggered it when sending) until I rebooted the phone. I don't generally use much data, but it does come in very useful sometimes especially with threes feel at home countries - great for holidays, recently got through nearly 2GB whilst it Spain with the whole families devices tethered. Also on a drive back from Manchester  recently my daughter got through about 1GB watching Netflix all the way back.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2015, 10:32:12 PM by Ronski »

loonylion

• Reg Member
« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2015, 12:10:18 AM »

im considering moving to 3 now that ee got bought out (payg most likely).

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2015, 08:15:24 AM »

im considering moving to 3 now that ee got bought out (payg most likely).

One advantage of PAYG is, if your phone gets stolen, your maximum liability for calls made by the thief is limited to whatever credit is on the phone.   

That, and a deep-seated mistrust of small print in the phone company T&C, and a similar distrust of insurance contracts that might appear to cover the liability, is the main reason I stick with PAYG.

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #13 on: October 01, 2015, 09:44:56 AM »

I think your mistrust is well founded. I do exactly the same.
  Eric

loonylion

• Reg Member
« Reply #14 on: October 01, 2015, 01:55:44 PM »

I've always been on PAYG, I've never felt my usage justified a contract. But I've never used mobile data.
Pages: [1] 2 3

anything