Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Trouble burning iso image in win 7 pro 64 bit  (Read 7108 times)

tonyappuk

• Reg Member
Re: Trouble burning iso image in win 7 pro 64 bit
« Reply #15 on: September 25, 2015, 02:43:48 PM »

I have had success and burnt my Mint iso. I'm still not 100% sure what fixed it altho' I am fairly confident that it is leads as you and I suspected. The two actions I have taken was firstly to push my two DVD drives further back along the daisy chained power cable then the bios said it couldn't see the drive (altho' it had done before I am sure). Then I replaced the SATA data cable which I'm sure was new and voila everything works. After a lifetime spent in electronic maintenance I should not be surprised that two faults occurring at once does happen altho' probably only in a new build! Time will tell if I have fixed it or it is that bane of an engineer's life, an intermittent. Fingers crossed.
Tony

AArdvark

• Kitizen
« Reply #16 on: September 25, 2015, 05:35:16 PM »

I have had success and burnt my Mint iso. I'm still not 100% sure what fixed it altho' I am fairly confident that it is leads as you and I suspected. The two actions I have taken was firstly to push my two DVD drives further back along the daisy chained power cable then the bios said it couldn't see the drive (altho' it had done before I am sure). Then I replaced the SATA data cable which I'm sure was new and voila everything works. After a lifetime spent in electronic maintenance I should not be surprised that two faults occurring at once does happen altho' probably only in a new build! Time will tell if I have fixed it or it is that bane of an engineer's life, an intermittent. Fingers crossed.
Tony
:yay: At least it is working for now.

You should know by now faults are very gregarious and tend to gather together in groups.  ;D
The intent is to hide small faults behind bigger ones.  ;D :D

How many times have you fixed the 'obvious' fault only to find it still is not fixed or replaced a 'dead' drive only to find it is really an intermittent fault on a cable when the new drive did not work but worked 1st time on a different port/cable.
Been there done that  ;D :D :D
Part of the fun of Computers and similar Equipment.  ;D

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #17 on: September 25, 2015, 09:24:04 PM »

Glad to hear all is well.   -ish.   :)

Then I replaced the SATA data cable which I'm sure was new

FWIW, I have had at least one SATA data cable that was faulty from new.   

This was some  years ago, but I added a new HDD, and bought a new cable for it.   It seemed to be working OK but when I looked at some of the system stats (don't remember what, exactly) it was recording countless read errors.

Reseating the cables made no difference, but just before sending back the disk as DOA I tried swapping cables with another disk, and proved it was cable not disk at fault.   Ever since then I have been quite fussy about Sata cables, preferring branded cables from a trusted supplier like RS...

tonyappuk

• Reg Member
« Reply #18 on: September 26, 2015, 12:24:07 PM »

I've just realised I didn't thank all the kind forum members who offered help and advice during my recent problems and please let me put that right. Many thanks to you all. The build still seems to be OK this a.m. so I must try and install my freshly burned Linux iso and get Grub going.
Tony
Pages: 1 [2]

anything