Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Trouble burning iso image in win 7 pro 64 bit  (Read 7107 times)

tonyappuk

• Reg Member
Trouble burning iso image in win 7 pro 64 bit
« on: September 21, 2015, 04:50:09 PM »

My new build is annoying me more and more. I downloaded a linux iso to install and no matter what I do I can't burn it. I bought a new burner from Amazon, tried many different burning programs but eventually burnt a good image using an old laptop. Do any of the smart people here know what else I can try, please? Incidentally I have tried several different makes of blank DVD and spent the pm downloading loads of Windows updates (That's how desperate I've become!). I can't find anything by Googling but maybe someone here can suggest a fix.
Tony

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
Re: Trouble burning iso image in win 7 pro 64 bit
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2015, 05:28:14 PM »

I use this on my Win7pro 64bit machine

http://www.imgburn.com/

I did have some suite somewhere that came with my dvd burner, but didnt bother reinstalling it after a format as I find ImgBurn so lightweight.   You dont even need to install it.  Just download the .exe and run.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

tonyappuk

• Reg Member
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2015, 05:52:31 PM »

Thanks for your response Kitz but I have tried imgburn with the same results. I'm wondering if it's the new motherboard. It's a Gigabyte GA-970A-DS3P and I needed to enable iommu (?) in the bios to get it to stay connected to the net when using a live linux disc. It's obviously a little bit unusual in some way.
Tony

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2015, 10:15:32 PM »

Im afraid I dont know anything about iommu.  :(
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

tonyappuk

• Reg Member
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2015, 11:09:54 PM »

Nor me!
Tony

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2015, 11:22:29 PM »

Input Output Memory Management Unit

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IOMMU
  Eric

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2015, 12:09:53 AM »

Once you have Linux installed you should be able to get away from all the palaver of GUI 'burners' and just do it from the command line, especially since you already have an ISO image prepared.   Pretty sure it went smoothly any time I've done it.

I can't tell exactly the incantation mind, mainly as I'm away from home and even if I could remember ( I can't) I would want to try it for myself before suggesting to others.   Maybe one of our respected Linux Gurus might offer a pointer?

That said, when on Windows where I burn optical disks most often, I am another fan of imgburn.  Shame it didn't work.   The other GUI packages that came bundled with the drives /PCs I have purchased over the years have almost invariably proven to be quite useless or, at best, just adware.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2015, 12:55:27 AM »

I can't tell exactly the incantation mind, mainly as I'm away from home and even if I could remember ( I can't) I would want to try it for myself before suggesting to others.   Maybe one of our respected Linux Gurus might offer a pointer?

I would recommend some reading --

man cdrecord

The incantation would be something similar to --

cdrecord dev=1,0,0 -eject -sao -data name_of_ISO_image
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2015, 06:43:20 AM »

That being said, there are several competent GUI Linux programs for CD/DVD burning, so you don't have to remember the command line syntax. I've been using k3b for many years, and it's never let me down.
  Eric

tonyappuk

• Reg Member
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2015, 10:41:06 AM »

Yes, Eric, I had thought to try a burn in Linux but I've got to do a grub update or install Mint 17.2 before I can do that. The win 7 install overwrote the MBR. I'm still inclined to believe the problem is with the Motherboard. I bought the cheapest fairly high spec barebones from Novatech but I didn't realise it was really a gamers/overclockers version. When I first switched it on all these blue LEDs lit up the case - very flashy!
Tony

AArdvark

• Kitizen
« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2015, 11:31:14 AM »

I was surprised by the iommu requirement to be switched on for Ethernet to work properly but this is known for some CPU's that support iommu.  ???
[I did a quick google search :) ]

There are quirks with Linux as well, apparently.
See http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2188370

I would first get windows working properly to ensure that everything works as it should before jumping to Linux where you will be battling differences in Linux Distros and possible quirks of the M/B - CPU setup.

All Motherboard - CPU combinations have quirks, it goes with the way masses of M/B's are rolled out for each CPU advance.
Learnt that the hard way and you usually only find them *after* you have bought the M/B.  ;D

Windows 7 should work and be stable .... it is old hat by now.
Check the latest Drivers and fixes from Gigabyte have been installed and are working correctly.
Gigabyte are usually good M/B's, in my experience, so I would be surprised if there is a problem that cannot be fixed unless there is a fault.
Burning CD/DVD/BuRay discs also is old hat and should not be a problem on windows nowadays.
The old image of windows being difficult to set up to burn disks is a fiction now.
It will turn out to be a problem with hardware /cables / disc blanks and/or overclocking of the Motherboard etc if anything.
Imgburn is a standard Program that does just work if your kit is set up correctly.
You can get things like Nero Burning, PowerISO, Alcohol 120, UltraISO, MagicISO etc etc , they all work.

Regardless of the OS you will need to fix something, so work with whatever you are most comforatable with first.

Just my 2 cents.  ;D

tonyappuk

• Reg Member
« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2015, 03:02:55 PM »

Thanks for your 2 cents, AArdvark, but I think I have tried all your suggestions. Since my old burner, which had been working fine on the previous motherboard and Win 7 32 bit, failed with this install I bought another. I have just checked and the drive reads a dvd fine which I think checks the cables. I have tried several makes of blank dvds and the motherboard is not overclocked. ImgBurn says "Failed to send cue sheet" but a Bing search doesn't produce any useful answers so that error message does not help me. I have just gone on the Gigabyte site and downloaded the latest drivers but still no joy. I think I may have to try to burn in Linux and if that fails I'm not sure what my next diagnosis step will be.
Tony

AArdvark

• Kitizen
« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2015, 07:10:00 PM »

Thanks for your 2 cents, AArdvark, but I think I have tried all your suggestions. Since my old burner, which had been working fine on the previous motherboard and Win 7 32 bit, failed with this install I bought another. I have just checked and the drive reads a dvd fine which I think checks the cables. I have tried several makes of blank dvds and the motherboard is not overclocked. ImgBurn says "Failed to send cue sheet" but a Bing search doesn't produce any useful answers so that error message does not help me. I have just gone on the Gigabyte site and downloaded the latest drivers but still no joy. I think I may have to try to burn in Linux and if that fails I'm not sure what my next diagnosis step will be.
Tony
A new Burner & new media should work on any OS.!! (Unless you are very unlucky and the media is a total mismatch to the Burner)

BTW: What Burner is it and what Firmware version is it on ?

I would expect the problem to be most likely one of:

Problem with the original image.

or

Media (Disc) problems.

or

Configuration problems with the M/B and/or Burner.

You need to break your problem down.
It could be many things, so too wide a test proves nothing and does not identify the real issue.
The following are some ideas in no particular order. (Brain dump mode  ;D )

================================
Burner Test (Simple)
Can you test the Burner on another Pc? (Something a friend has maybe)

Download an .iso from say MS noting the official checksum. (Any windows .iso will do, its just a test)
Use Imgburn 2.5.8.0.
Use the same brand of disc blanks you have previously used.
(If you can get RW discs it is handy for redoing the test if there are problems.)
Burn the .iso to a disc. Eject the disc & reload.
Produce new .iso file from the Disc and compare checksums.
This is a rough a ready test that the Burner can write & read a full disc without errors.
If you use the cables you normally use they are included as well in the test.

ImgBurn says "Failed to send cue sheet"
Do you have a copy of the imgburn log when you got this error?

It sounds like there could be a problem with the original image that you are using and/or its .cue file
Possibly there is no h/w problem at all!!

Diagnostics run on M/B

When you have installed all the latest updates & fixes from Gigabyte, could you run a diagnostic to check out the build.
Something like Aida64 will list the full spec of your build and highlight anything it finds 'odd' and give hints on improvements you can make.
Is there any Gigabyte diag tool ?
(These tend to vary by M/B so I am not sure what you have available.)

Check firmware of Burner.

There can be problems with the firmware in Burners, even from new.
(Your Burner may not be very latest stock and sometimes fixes are needed because hardware is released before faults are found.)
Can you check the latest firmware version available and what the Release notes say it has fixed.
Is your Burner up to date ?

Ensure you are using 'Kosher' releases of  Firmware if you do decide to update.
(Hacked versions or Betas can be risky if they could cause errors in their own right.)

tonyappuk

• Reg Member
« Reply #13 on: September 23, 2015, 01:35:10 AM »

My latest thought is that it is the power feed which I will investigate tomorrow. This bare bones kit had to go back to Novatech initially because it couldn't see all the drives in the bios and they diagnosed a faulty PSU lead. The PSU is modular and the lead supplied is a daisy chain of multiple plugs/sockets and it may be that one of the lines (12v or 5v) may be being overloaded. I have 4 hard drives ( ones an SSD) and two optical drives but I haven't done the sums on total loading yet. I'll post more tomorrow.
Tony

AArdvark

• Kitizen
« Reply #14 on: September 23, 2015, 03:33:43 AM »

Reduce your build to bare minimum 1 boot drive and test everything.
Add drives back 1 by 1 and re-test.

The extra information is quite important.  ;D
(It is so much easier when you have all the facts & can see what you are dealing with.  ;D :D )

Sounds plausible if you have had problems before.
Maybe you still have cable problems. ??

What Brand & rating is your PSU and what drives are you using.?

Six drives are not a problem if the PSU is sized OK.

I have 11 drives running off 1 PSU with no problems.
(8 HD, 2 SSD, 1 DVD-RW + Nvidia Graphics Card, 2 Gigabit Ethernet Adapters, 1 Adaptec HBA, USB3 x4 Interface card (powered)) [850Watt PSU]
Pages: [1] 2

anything