Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Digital Set Top Box.  (Read 9604 times)

Floydoid

• Addicted Kitizen
  • Prog Rock Fan
Re: Digital Set Top Box.
« Reply #15 on: March 08, 2008, 05:03:12 PM »

I'll bear that in mind for when the aerial system gets updated. :)
"We're going to need a bigger swear jar."

oldfogy

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
  • If it ain't broke....... I'll soon fix it.
« Reply #16 on: March 08, 2008, 07:27:43 PM »

With regards to the Goodman's/Bush I brought last week for £35, the only thing I can think of that hiked up the price was the fact that it also had,

1 off Scart lead
2 off Scart sockets
1 off HDMI socket (no cable)

The 2 Scart sockets are almost a necessity if you want to record to a VCR or watch direct from the digi box.
HDMI if you have a HDMI connection on your TV (similar to what a scart connection does only better, for better quality pictures).

I think one of the most important things to look out for and that is that it is a "Dual Tuner"
so that you can record one digital program whilst viewing another.

With a single tuner, you can only record what you are watching,
or record from the digi box and then watch an "Terrestrial" analogue picture at the same time.

A dual tuner box is really going to be a must in the future when analogue is not around.

tickmike

• Kitizen
  • Yes Another Penguin !. :)
« Reply #17 on: March 08, 2008, 11:30:59 PM »

Tickmike

I think your missing sound points to a marginal signal from your aerial although it is strange that it is not accompanied by picture breakup or freezing. Because of the way that digital TV is decoded in your STB and the various forms of error correction employed, if the signal drops for any reason to a value near the threshold for your particular STB/chipset, the error correction can't cope and we get sound breakup/losses and/or picture funnies. One of the blessings of the digital era! I speak as an (very) old analogue TV transmitter man.

Tony

Hi Tony,
My theory is it's not the box or the aerial at all, My theory is it's something to due with the switching over from one region to another .
We mainly notice it as I said when the BBC six o clock news is on, then they switch over to east midlands today at 6.30 pm. ( It does happen at other times).
It does not happen in the program, it's just at the start of some live programs. odd !.
If you have two sets , one running analogue and the other digital on the same program you will have a 10 sec delay on the digital one.

Our first box cost £100, our second cost £20 and I have seen some at £11  :'(

re,"I speak as an (very) old analogue TV transmitter man." What 405 lines - 'H' aerials era ;).

When I was very young, I remember my father building 405 line TV's with only BBC on them,  Then he made an extra part for one of them, it was a tuner so he could tune into the New ATV TV programs.
I remember seeing the 'Test' transmissions for the new station with all the innards of the TV spread across the dinning table.
I have a set of 6 fixed IP's From  Eclipse  isp.BT ADSL2(G992.3) line>HG612 as a Modem, Bridge, WAN Not Bound to LAN1 or 2 + Also have FTTP (G.984) No One isp Fixed IP >Dual WAN pfSense (Hardware Firewall and routing).> Two WAN's, Ethernet LAN, DMZ LAN, Zyxel GS1100-24 Switch.

tonyappuk

• Reg Member
« Reply #18 on: March 09, 2008, 01:48:04 PM »

Michael

I am as old as that! I too built a convertor for the new ITV when it opened in London in September 1955. Guess how old that makes me feel? And I had already spent 3 years in the RAF. Never mind, computers will keep me young.

Your explanation of your sound only being clipped at the start of a programme form a new source could certainly point to a late switch. It's probably all done remotely by signals in the interframe period and the digital processing delay could still be involved. But it could also just be finger trouble. There's a lot more of that in TV production than there was in my day. Harumph and pshaw and similar dated exclamations of disbelief.

Tony
Pages: 1 [2]