Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: IPad voice keyboard  (Read 5347 times)

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
IPad voice keyboard
« on: August 30, 2015, 05:33:27 AM »

Does anyone use the voice keyboard thing on the iPad? Accessible by hitting the microphone icon on the on-screen keyboard. It seems to work pretty well on the whole but one annoyance is that I can't work out how to delete anything. It understands a few things like "spacebar" and "newparagraph", "leftbracket", "fullstop", "comma", "questionmark" and so on. I've only discovered a few, it may know more.

If anyone knows how to operate this thing properly, particularly how to delete things, then I'd be really grateful if you would let me know. Any mistakes in my future posts, then I'll blame this voice thing.

AArdvark

• Kitizen

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
Re: IPad voice keyboard
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2015, 08:18:44 AM »

No joy from those links unfortunately. Many thanks for providing them, much appreciated. Maybe what I want doesn't exist. I really need _delete_, arrow keys and delete last word, select alternative word that kind of thing.

Some apps have arrow keys on the virtual keyboard and extra keys with digits on and more punctuation. Textastic is one example, a really great text editor.

Perhaps I should just try and look out for more virtual keyboard apps. (IMEs, they're called on some systems.)

Despite its force the dictation feature is lessening the pain in my hands. It's just a nuisance that I have to clean up by hand, because I have no way of correcting the mistakes, not even having a left delete key.

AArdvark

• Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2015, 02:13:50 PM »

No joy from those links unfortunately. Many thanks for providing them, much appreciated. Maybe what I want doesn't exist. I really need _delete_, arrow keys and delete last word, select alternative word that kind of thing.

Some apps have arrow keys on the virtual keyboard and extra keys with digits on and more punctuation. Textastic is one example, a really great text editor.

Perhaps I should just try and look out for more virtual keyboard apps. (IMEs, they're called on some systems.)

Despite its force the dictation feature is lessening the pain in my hands. It's just a nuisance that I have to clean up by hand, because I have no way of correcting the mistakes, not even having a left delete key.

What I read seemed to show that you could go into an advanced setup option to define new command for functions.
i.e you define your spoken command for 'delete line' 'Delete line left' etc

It is the way DragonTalk s/w worked on the PC when I last used Voice Dictation software.
Sorry don't have any Apple stuff but it implied the IOS s/w was configurable in the same way as the mac stuff.

To see a full list of dictation commands you can go to this Apple support document. Note that it is titled as a document for Mac – but I’ve found that nearly all the command syntax is the same on the iPad.
Is this not true ?

It is a cut down nuance product from the looks of it. (DragonTalk)
See http://www.speechrecsolutions.com/assets/iPad_speech_recognition.pdf

and

http://www.speechrecsolutions.com/iPad_tips.html#SR

I suspect the Apple product is a taster to push you towards the full Dragon Product.
(Apple probably did a deal to get it for free as the advertising is implicit.)

See Full Product:
https://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/dragon-dictation/id341446764?mt=8

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2015, 10:55:28 AM »

I have started using the dictation recently too, and found it surprisingly effective.    My own tactic is simply to use it to generate the 'first cut', then go back and edit using the keyboard, fixing any mistakes and adding punctuation.

Of course there is also the generic 'Undo' for iPhone, just shake the device.  How many people don't know that?   But you still need to tap the screen to confirm, and I think it will erase the lot you've just dictated.

The one thing that I'd like to see it handle is the standard (Nato?) phonetic alphabet.  Having been in The Boys' Brigade as a child my natural instinct is to drop into phonetics when reciting (e.g.) postcodes, thus avoiding them being mistaken for words.  But unless it is just my accent, Siri doesn't seem to understand phonetics  at all. :(
« Last Edit: September 03, 2015, 11:01:24 AM by sevenlayermuddle »

AArdvark

• Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2015, 11:08:52 AM »

Simply buy the Full Dragon Product it allows you to define your own commands.
You can do whatever you want if you invest the time.

... my accent, Siri doesn't seem to understand phonetics  at all.

The slight advantage older software had was the need to 'teach' the software your voice characteristics.
You could improve the accuracy if you read through a number of standard texts.
The more you did the better it got, then it worked from there as you used the product.

I know that Siri, Google Now & Cortana work differently from a much much larger data set but accent etc can still 'break' these applications.
I am from 'Up North' so understand this well [DikShun cownts :D]

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2015, 11:20:04 AM »

Buy?   You mean with money?   That's something I try to avoid when it comes to Apps. :o

Seriously, thanks - I may investigate.    :)

AArdvark

• Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2015, 02:04:11 PM »

Buy?   You mean with money?   That's something I try to avoid when it comes to Apps. :o

Seriously, thanks - I may investigate.    :)
I have problems with the 'buy' thing as well, but I thought that the 'There's an App for That !' paradigm applied here. :D
The Dragon software was good on the PC many years ago, so should be much better now on Apple IOS or OSX.

Sent from my LG-D855 using Tapatalk

anything