Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Big screen iPad?  (Read 9985 times)

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
Big screen iPad?
« on: August 30, 2015, 02:07:35 AM »

Does anyone know, is there any chance of a larger screen iPad coming out?

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
Re: Big screen iPad?
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2015, 08:25:57 AM »

You would have thought that was covered with their new macbooks they released a couple of months ago - have you seen how thin they are?   
However there is indeed a rumour going around of a 12" ipad being released this year.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2015, 08:40:24 AM »

God, can't wait. It's going to be huge pain in the wallet again.

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2015, 08:42:22 AM »

Would love 802.11ac some day too. Better WNIC on iPad anyway. And please god  proper multitasking, so that my downloads don't die every time I switch to another app. Absolutely bloody ridiculous.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2015, 11:08:12 AM »

I agree on the multi tasking.   It's so annoying to lose a forum post just because I've switched window. 

I've done this countless times... Make a long post, then switch window to get a url to paste in, and the post you just spent 30 mins typing has gone  :rant:
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2015, 11:11:49 AM »

Formerly restrained by ECI and ali,  now surfing along at 390/36  ;D

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2015, 11:15:11 AM »

I need to discipline myself not to type posts into the edit box in Safari. I should be preparing text in a good app of some sort, maybe the notepad type thing or Textastic as it has better keyboard functions. I do a select-all, copy before I might lose everything when I'm in Safari.

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2015, 11:17:28 AM »

I agree on the multi tasking.   It's so annoying to lose a forum post just because I've switched window. 

I've done this countless times... Make a long post, then switch window to get a url to paste in, and the post you just spent 30 mins typing has gone  :rant:

I can do that on my HUDL2 without losing what I have done  ;) ;) and that only cost me £60 new (after using Tesco Vouchers  ;) )

Stuart
ISP:Vodafone Router:Vodafone Wi-Fi hub FTTP

AArdvark

• Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2015, 01:09:45 PM »

Perhaps it's time to switch sides  >:D

;D ;D ;D

I have got one .... very nice and multitasking too. (And a Stylus if you need one.)

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2015, 12:24:52 AM »

If you don't like the iPad then switch sides if you must but remember, you get what you pay for, so buy something decent.   The only Android device I ever bought was a Samsung Fame.  I bought it because it was  cheap as chips, but turned out to be under spec'd, under powered, and quite useless.   When I moaned about it on these forums, the concensus of advice was 'I should have spent more'.   :D

Specifically per multitasking, don't switch sides just yet...

https://www.apple.com/uk/ios/ios9-preview/

:)

To me, one of the biggest reasons to not switch sides is the  iOS 9 compatibility list... Includes iPad 2s, now nearly 5 years since launch.   No doubt, people will complain that their ancient iPads on iOS 9 aren't as slick as new iPads, but  how much hardware from the 'dark side', that was purchased in  2011 can still run latest Android, slick or otherwise?

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2015, 06:25:21 AM »

7LM has a good couple of points there, there are loads of under powered Android devices, I  have a Galaxy Note 2014 and it's got plenty of power but then it was a top spec tablet.

Updates is one of Androids biggest downfalls, if you have a popular Android device then you can update it yourself but it's not easy. I think Apple will always win here because they control the hardware, but they dont always get it right.
Formerly restrained by ECI and ali,  now surfing along at 390/36  ;D

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2015, 08:15:02 AM »

I would never go near an Android box, security is a joke historically and no bugs can ever get fixed because of the software customisation chain that other posters already referred to.

I have one old android box which I use as a music player and which runs an antivirus scanner every night it doesn't concern me too much because it's not exposed to the possibility of any nasties from the Internet.

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2015, 08:32:43 AM »

Harping back to the original question... just of I interest, why do you want a bigger iPad?

I'm using a full size iPad 2 right now and whilst I generally prefer it to the Mini that other half is using right now (sad, I know), I do often feel that the bigger iPad is a bit more vulnerable to mishaps  when moving around the house.

Nothing bad has happened, but I've often found myself pottering towards the kitchen with a pile of cups, clutching the iPad precariously between just a couple of fingers.    Then I look down at the (ceramic) tiles on the kitchen floor and think about the risk I just took, and how much a new iPad would cost. :-[

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2015, 09:03:44 AM »

I have an iPad 5 and I am semi bread bedbound. I can get out of bed when I need to. I rely on my iPad a lot, and I have terrible eyesight so I need to have the iPad very close to me. I find that editing using the virtual keyboard leaves only a small amount of vertical space left for text so editing in Textastic, my favourite plain text editor app it feels rather cramped. Anything that gives me more pixels would be very welcome as it would make editing much more comfortable.

AArdvark

• Kitizen
« Reply #14 on: September 04, 2015, 11:27:49 AM »

Stupid Question:

A new larger iPad will not be available too soon, could you do the equivalent of a multi-screen setup using 2 normal ipads.
It would be cheaper (if you get a 2nd hand one) and available now.

I expect something like this should be available due to the huge amount of apps/hardware in the Apple World.
I have seen kit using ipads as screen rather than creating custom screens for things like Synthesisers and related Audio kit.

1st thing I found in a search.
http://techcrunch.com/2013/04/02/mosaic-lets-you-weave-a-single-display-from-multiple-iphones-and-ipads-offers-sdk-for-developers/
Pages: [1] 2