Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Chrome will block Flash Adverts from 1st Sept (From SANS)  (Read 8072 times)

AArdvark

• Kitizen
Re: Chrome will block Flash Adverts from 1st Sept (From SANS)
« Reply #15 on: August 30, 2015, 12:55:13 AM »

Firefox + Adblock Plus + NoScript at a minimum is my preference.

Firefox + Adblock Plus + Flashblock + Ghostery is my recipe.  :)
:D
I did say at a minimum, I actually run much more incl Ghostery.
That is why I like Firefox, all the useful addons.
I know lots of them are awful toys/tat but there are quite a few essentials that are well written and work ! (Essentials to me, at least)

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
« Reply #16 on: August 30, 2015, 01:11:31 AM »

The Firefox add-ons are great especially for a web designer, very seductive. Firefox is just too slow and too insecure for me personally and I couldn't let my users use it as it is again too insecure (still no split-privilege, low integrity whatever it's called) and is non-configurable by group policy as far as I'm aware, unless you perhaps could do some group policy extension hackery.

Apologies if this view is very out of date, which is highly likely, Firefox may very well have improved since I last looked at it.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2015, 01:51:20 AM by Weaver »

AArdvark

• Kitizen
« Reply #17 on: August 30, 2015, 01:33:46 AM »

;D
Your wish is my command !
I have not used this but it can be tried out in a test Environment.

Cannot comment on the 'insecure' view, it works for me if you install the right addons for additional security.
Much more configurable that IE.
I will let the 'Chrome acolytes' argue the point in relation to Chrome itself. :D ;)

http://mozillagpo.sourceforge.net/
https://addons.mozilla.org/En-us/firefox/addon/gpo-support-for-firefox-and-th/?src=search
« Last Edit: August 30, 2015, 01:58:01 AM by AArdvark »

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #18 on: August 30, 2015, 01:52:33 AM »

@loonylion - good for you. I remove Java many many years ago. I'm removing Flash now.  ;D

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #19 on: August 30, 2015, 01:56:56 AM »

Actually, since I have always used to 64-bit IE, and there used to be no 64-bit flash (don't know if there is now), I have been doing without flash anyway for a long time.  On my own personal machine I could have my cake and eat it by installing 32 bit Flash in 32-bit IE and switching between the two IE browsers, x64 or x86, to have Flash or no Flash.

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #20 on: August 30, 2015, 12:46:51 PM »

The issue with firefox is it doesnt drop its user privileges or sandbox it self like IE and chrome, so its more vulnerable than you may think.

Still using noscript and other addons on it do secure it quite a bit as long as you not blindly whitelisting everything.

Also flashblock is pointless now as firefox has click to play plus noscript has the same functionality as flashblock.  Also I would suggest ublock origin instead of adblock plus/ghostery, much faster, much better memory efficiency and more powerful with its advanced mode.

Sadly as weaver said firefox is slow, I sort of was used to it before using chrome, but whenever I load a page via firefox now it feels turtle pace compared to chrome.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2015, 12:49:18 PM by Chrysalis »

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #21 on: August 30, 2015, 02:12:42 PM »

From what little I have read about it, the innards of Firefox are quite a mass of spaghetti with lots of cruft and I think it's rather dragging down the developers so they're not making progress as fast as they would like. It may be that backwards compatibility is holding them back as well seeing as they have so many add-ons maybe there design decisions there that they would regret.

Given that they are eight years behind now (!) on the issue of low privilege there must be something that they are struggling with. Forgive my ignorance, but is there even a Windows x64 version yet?

AArdvark

• Kitizen
« Reply #22 on: August 30, 2015, 03:22:06 PM »

Latest attempt to control 'bad' addons is they are all going to be signed.

I think the last I heard Mozilla said 'No 64 bit version' ....... End of Statement.

There is Waterfox ('Non Mozilla' 64-Bit browser based on Mozilla's Firefox.) https://www.waterfoxproject.org/#about
Never used but I am sure someone mentioned it recently in a post somewhere.

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #23 on: August 31, 2015, 01:22:38 AM »

Weaver I am pretty sure you right, the problem they have is I bet if they started a fresh with clean code people would leave en masse, the thing that keeps people loyal to firefox is probably a combination of the existing addons and the configurability.

Aardvark they backed down on 64bit, they finally admitted they have to make it for windows, but its not a priority, just nightly builds, probably will take them a 2-3 years I expect.  Instead of waiting for things like E10 and 64bit I started using chrome not regretting it for the most part.

Also when I started using 64bit cyberfox all the crashes stopped, so I was hitting 32bit ceiling's in terms of resource usage.

My view is if they dont have the resources to maintain 32 and 64bit for windows they should abandon 32bit and consider it obselete.

http://www.howtogeek.com/165264/heres-why-firefox-is-still-years-behind-google-chrome/
Pages: 1 [2]

anything