Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Settings for TalkTalk Superouter HG633 with HG612  (Read 10822 times)

TheNewb

Settings for TalkTalk Superouter HG633 with HG612
« on: August 25, 2015, 09:25:59 PM »

Hello all

I've just migrated from away from plus.net to TalkTalk (Fibre Large), time will tell if that was the right move! Anyway, with plus.met, I had an HG612 with a Technicolor T582n, and as I was quite happy with that setup (reliability of the HG612), in addition to the location of the router (top floor, which is where the wireless is most used), I wanted to keep that config, except swap out the Technicolor for the HG633.

I've successfully connected the HG633 directly to the socket (I'm typing on it as we speak), but have tried to set it up with the HG612, which as you may have guessed by now, didn't work. Can someone screenshot their settings or provide some insight into what I need to change for it to work with the HG612.

Next problem will be trying to get the sync speed back up, with my impatience I didn't wait between changing over so I suspect my sync speed will be way down.

Thanks

TheNewb

Re: Settings for TalkTalk Superouter HG633 with HG612
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2015, 10:24:41 PM »

Somewhat answering my own question with a new question!

Found this for the HG635

http://npr.me.uk/hg635.html

For plus.net - I was reading http://forum.kitz.co.uk/index.php/topic,16032.msg298047.html#msg298047 that the 8021p for Talktalk should be zero, can someone confirm the other settings/all settings?

TheNewb

« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2015, 02:30:02 PM »

Think I'm gonna have to take a risk and shut down the HG633 and test out the settings I linked to below...I'll post results (and subsequent sync speed) tonight.

jid

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2015, 05:50:14 PM »

Think I'm gonna have to take a risk and shut down the HG633 and test out the settings I linked to below...I'll post results (and subsequent sync speed) tonight.

I got this to work on the HG635, the older one of what you had and if you connect the HG612 up the router would detect it was acting as a router and connect.

However I suspect it may not work anymore, if you simply connect the HG612 to the wan port it should work, provided the router is in Auto mode for connection.

Let me know if it works?
Kind Regards
Jamie

BT FTTP - 75meg | Sky Q |  Bridgend Weather

TheNewb

« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2015, 07:04:21 PM »

I think therein lies the problem, the cable run from the location of the telephone box to the upstairs location is Ethernet cable with RJ45 connectors on either side, which worked with the technicolor as the connection was to a LAN port. If I need to connect to the wan port I'd need to either crimp with an rj11, which is what the wan port on the HG633 is or get a RJ45 to RJ11 converter.

In your setup did you connect to the wan or LAN port of the HG635?

Sent from my LG-D855 using Tapatalk 2

jid

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2015, 07:25:29 PM »

I think therein lies the problem, the cable run from the location of the telephone box to the upstairs location is Ethernet cable with RJ45 connectors on either side, which worked with the technicolor as the connection was to a LAN port. If I need to connect to the wan port I'd need to either crimp with an rj11, which is what the wan port on the HG633 is or get a RJ45 to RJ11 converter.

In your setup did you connect to the wan or LAN port of the HG635?

My apologies! After googling didn't realise they've now removed the separate WAN ethernet port for the HG633  :(

Therefore looks like you won't be able to connect up the HG612 :-\ Seems like TalkTalk have modified the config to stop people needing to connect an external modem.

Your only option would be to purchase your own router that you can then connect to the HG612 - or pick up a HG635 on ebay - although personally its the most unstable router I've ever used!
Kind Regards
Jamie

TheNewb

« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2015, 07:59:22 PM »

No apologies required, its still there! My explanation is rubbish, its not that it isn't there, its just I'm not able to connect to it with an rj45 connector as it's an rj11 type. Is it as simple as getting an rj45 to rj11 converter?

jid

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2015, 08:02:21 PM »

No apologies required, its still there! My explanation is rubbish, its not that it isn't there, its just I'm not able to connect to it with an rj45 connector as it's an rj11 type. Is it as simple as getting an rj45 to rj11 converter?

I'm confused, can you confirm this is the router, I see no WAN port?
http://community.talktalk.co.uk/t5/image/serverpage/image-id/11233i9BD05155ED57D3EB?v=mpbl-1
Kind Regards
Jamie

jid

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2015, 08:04:59 PM »

I can see the broadband RJ11 port - this is because the HG633 has a built in Broadcom modem, a newer updated version of the chipset in the HG612.
Kind Regards
Jamie

TheNewb

« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2015, 08:05:10 PM »

Ah yes, you are correct, I thought that the one marked broadband was the WAN port! So am I out of luck? I guess I could use the Technicolor if I wanted?

jid

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2015, 08:14:32 PM »

Ah yes, you are correct, I thought that the one marked broadband was the WAN port! So am I out of luck? I guess I could use the Technicolor if I wanted?

Yes the Super Routers are all in ones, they have a VDSL modem in them. You could try the Technicolour however I am not experienced at all with the config of that modem, and whether or not Plusnet lock them down at all :-\
Kind Regards
Jamie

TheNewb

« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2015, 08:18:55 PM »

Ta thanks, will have to do some googling. Might end up leaving the superrouter where it is and setting up the Technicolor as a wireless access point. I'll see how well the HG633 performs compared to the HG612

jid

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2015, 08:23:17 PM »

Ta thanks, will have to do some googling. Might end up leaving the superrouter where it is and setting up the Technicolor as a wireless access point. I'll see how well the HG633 performs compared to the HG612

In my opinion, the chip in the HG633 outperforms the HG612 on most lines, depending on the cab you are on. A Huawei cab has Broadcom equipment and so performs well with a Broadcom based modem, and will support G.INP which further improves speeds.

I did have a quick Google and couldn't find anything about setting up the Technicolour, maybe worth having a look through its GUI and see what the connection options are, and if possible running it with Dynamic IP connection mode - what TalkTalk use for FTTC connections.
Kind Regards
Jamie

TheNewb

« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2015, 08:36:19 PM »

In my opinion, the chip in the HG633 outperforms the HG612 on most lines, depending on the cab you are on. A Huawei cab has Broadcom equipment and so performs well with a Broadcom based modem, and will support G.INP which further improves speeds.

I did have a quick Google and couldn't find anything about setting up the Technicolour, maybe worth having a look through its GUI and see what the connection options are, and if possible running it with Dynamic IP connection mode - what TalkTalk use for FTTC connections.

Thanks, I'm on a Huawei cab (hence the HG612) - so just to confirm, you think on a Huawei cab the HG633 is a good option?

jid

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #14 on: August 26, 2015, 09:02:53 PM »

Thanks, I'm on a Huawei cab (hence the HG612) - so just to confirm, you think on a Huawei cab the HG633 is a good option?

I would say so, it will increase your SNR margin so you will see a slightly better sync than the HG612 in most cases (unless at full sync where the line will become more stable as no more speed possible).
Kind Regards
Jamie

Pages: [1] 2