Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Is this a Phishing Attempt?  (Read 7089 times)

Peter

• Reg Member
  • My Country needed me????
Is this a Phishing Attempt?
« on: August 24, 2015, 04:38:30 PM »

This arrived a few minutes ago, never had anything like this before so I'm suspicious, should I be?

Peter

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
Re: Is this a Phishing Attempt?
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2015, 05:23:58 PM »

Carefully inspect the link targets, or else straight in the bin.

This is exactly the kind of thing that scams are made of, even if this particular one is genuine.

HPsauce

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2015, 05:37:22 PM »

Helpful: http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/9191/~/what-is-a-phishing-scam%3F-is-the-email-i-have-received-genuine%3F
Also tells you how to forward that to BT, which is what I would do.
Even if it is genuine it LOOKS like phishing so is a stupid communication at best.

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2015, 05:48:56 PM »

Is there a way of sending BT the original headers too?

AArdvark

• Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2015, 05:56:08 PM »

If you forward the mail as an attachment and NOT as an in-line copy, it will include everything.

BT will be able to get all the information from it they want.

Peter

• Reg Member
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2015, 07:29:24 PM »

Thanks folks, I have just sent it to BT from that link, much obliged.

Peter

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2015, 07:41:13 PM »

Personally, I'm betting it's genuine.

Just an attempt by BT to sow the seed of doubt in your mind such that, even though your appuratus is doing all you want of it, you'll begin to suspect it is not.  And in an effort to rectify the imaginary problem, BT are hoping you will spend some hard earned £££ in the online shop. 

Or better still they might be hoping that you'll call them, so they can talk you into a new package with a 'better' router which, in small print, would lock you into some disadvantage, eg a new whole year contract.

But I may be wrong.   You have done the right thing, let us know how BT respond.  :)
« Last Edit: August 24, 2015, 07:43:44 PM by sevenlayermuddle »

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2015, 07:48:59 PM »

If it is genuine, then it's deeply naff, training users into accepting things that look completely dodgy and saying, no don't be wise and rightfully skeptical, just trust, believe random unsigned crap that gets sent to you by who on earth knows who.

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2015, 08:03:27 PM »

It won't be genuine. BT don't subscribe to that sort of thing. Read the link HP has posted up.

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2015, 08:26:37 PM »

My suspicion that it is genuine is based on recent personal experience, of BT's shady marketing practices,  described in another thread...

http://forum.kitz.co.uk/index.php/topic,15375.msg285813.html#msg285813

But I did say I may be wrong.  Friends are often surprised to hear it, but I have been wrong before.   :D

I'll be interested to hear BT's response.

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2015, 08:39:15 PM »

My suspicion that it is genuine is based on recent personal experience, of BT's shady marketing practices,  described in another thread...

http://forum.kitz.co.uk/index.php/topic,15375.msg285813.html#msg285813

But I did say I may be wrong.  Friends are often surprised to hear it, but I have been wrong before.   :D

I'll be interested to hear BT's response.

;D ;D ;D

Peter

• Reg Member
« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2015, 09:15:56 PM »

I got this reply quite quickly.

Hello,

Thank you for reporting your suspicious email to the BT Internet Customer Security Team. Please note that this email is an automatic acknowledgement confirming receipt of your enquiry.

We act quickly to take down phishing websites by contacting and working with website owners, domain registrars and industry security teams around the world. Last year we closed down 10,000 rogue webpages, so thank you for helping us in this fight against internet crime

BT will never send you an email with an attachment or ask you for any personal information such as your account number, password or bank details..

If you have clicked on a link or opened an attachment from a suspected phishing email, then you should run a virus check on your computer to be safe.

If you have entered your BT ID or BT email address or use the same email and password combination for other services you should change these passwords too. It`s recommended that you don`t use the same password for multiple accounts

If you have entered banking information, such as your account details or credit card information, you`ll need to notify your bank.

For further guidance on phishing you can visit our phishing pages at www.bt.com/phishing and www.bt.com/emailscams

Please be aware that we may not be able to respond individually to every email received.

Yours sincerely
BT Internet Customer Security Team

BT is a founding member of the Internet Watch Foundation, ISP Abuse Management Forum and the Internet Content Rating Association.

This email contains BT information, which may be privileged or confidential.
It`s meant only for the individual(s) or entity named above. If you`re not the intended recipient, note that disclosing, copying, distributing or using this information is prohibited. If you`ve received this email in error, please let me know immediately on the email address above.

We monitor our email system, and may record your emails.
British Telecommunications plc
Registered office: 81 Newgate Street London EC1A 7AJ  Registered in England no. 1800000

BT does not accept responsibility for the content of third party web sites

Peter

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2015, 10:03:59 PM »

Please be aware that we may not be able to respond individually to every email received.

In other words that is probably the last you'll hear, leaving us none the wiser.  :(

I see the alleged author, Libby Barr is on linkedin and she is indeed, apparently, 'Managing Director, Consumer Customer Care' at BT .

https://uk.linkedin.com/pub/libby-barr/29/8ba/454

That doesn't prove she sent the email of course.  It doesn't even prove her linkedin profile is genuine, but I think it is fair to assume that it is, barring major conspiracies.   If you are a linkedin member, you could probably contact her through linkedin, with an 'inmail' or whatever they call it, and just ask if the original mail shot was pucka?

I'm sure, if a scammer is using her personal name, she'd be grateful to hear of it and you might get a more proactive response that the automated response you already received. 

And if the email was genuine (and I still think it was), it may inspire her to track down the buffoon that authorised it and make appropriate 'improvements' to BT's Consumer Care  ::)
« Last Edit: August 24, 2015, 10:09:23 PM by sevenlayermuddle »

Dray

• Kitizen
« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2015, 10:08:25 PM »

I think a better approach is to analyse the mail headers and find out where it originated from using http://mxtoolbox.com/EmailHeaders.aspx

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2015, 10:16:08 PM »

I think a better approach is to analyse the mail headers and find out where it originated from using http://mxtoolbox.com/EmailHeaders.aspx

Indeed!

Some email programs don't exactly make it easy, they don't help or guide the user much in getting to the headers. A truly user-friendly "trace email origin" feature would be a good thing in helping the good guys win the battle.
Pages: [1] 2

anything