Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: unlocked hg612 with ADSL2+ - network stability issues  (Read 84493 times)

jch

Re: unlocked hg612 with ADSL2+ - network stability issues
« Reply #15 on: September 01, 2015, 11:49:24 AM »

When I was on ADSL I used an HG612 as a full modem/router, and it was completely satisfactory. I wasn't the only one - there is even a wiki article about it: http://wiki.kitz.co.uk/index.php/Huawei_HG612 (written before the days of locked firmware).
That was the impression I had when I was searching for possible causes of the problem.
I've had no sync drops since my previous post. For whatever reason, dumb bridge mode solves the network stability issues here. I wish I knew why. Oh well.
I love that icon in your sig btw. :-)

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #16 on: September 01, 2015, 06:10:19 PM »

It would be interesting and useful, for others, if you would document the precise configuration options you now have set, please.  :)

If I have read things correctly you have an xDSL service operating in G.Dmt/ADSL2/ADSL2+ mode and have configured the HG612 to act as a pure bridge, with the PPPoE session initiated & maintained by a separate router.  :-\
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

kitzuser87430

• Reg Member
« Reply #17 on: September 01, 2015, 06:42:39 PM »

if you would document the precise configuration options you now have

Please also post the firmware you are using and your connection mode.

jch

« Reply #18 on: September 21, 2015, 05:16:59 PM »

if you would document the precise configuration options you now have

Please also post the firmware you are using and your connection mode.
Sorry for replying late - I've been away on holiday.

The firmware info is
Hardware version   VER.B
Software version   V100R001C01B030SP08
Firmware version   A2pv6C038m.d24j
Batch number   BC1P6.030.A2pv6C038m.d24j

My config is summarised in below.

Modem connects directly to Edgerouter.

Edgerouter has 3 eth ports:-
eth0 - connects to HG612 eth0
eth1 - connects to my office LAN. Subnet 192.168.1.0/24
eth2 - connects directly to an Asus RT-AC66U wireless router. Subnet 192.168.2.0/24

With the modem in Bridged mode, Edgerouter uses PPPoE to connect to the ISP through the modem. This IP is the default route of the network.
Edgerouter is the DHCP server and assigns IPs for systems connected to its eth1 and eth2. Also does NAT and firewall.
The Asus wifi router is configured as an Access Point (bridge) only. Its DHCP, NAT and firewall are disabled.
All ethernet links are CAT-5e. I don't have any adapters for using the house wiring etc for some wired links.
The office LAN has several unmanaged GigE switches.

When I was using routed mode in the hg612, the Edgerouter was configured with no NAT and its default route was the modem's IP (192.168.0.1). The modem's DMZ was set to the IP address of the router's eth0 (192.168.0.254) and the modem's NAT was enabled.

I attach the hg612 config files for the bridged and routed hg612 configs, with passwords mangled.

I've seen no further link sync failures since switching to dumb bridged mode in the modem.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #19 on: September 21, 2015, 06:15:15 PM »

Sorry for replying late - I've been away on holiday.

No need to apologise, it is that time of the year for a late holiday bargain.

I've seen no further link sync failures since switching to dumb bridged mode in the modem.

That is what I was hoping you would say . . . The HG612 is well "tried and tested" in that mode.

Thank you for the details of your hardware interconnections and the two HG612 configuration files.

tickmike

• Kitizen
  • Yes Another Penguin !. :)
« Reply #20 on: September 22, 2015, 02:54:33 PM »

Not sure if many people will understand your txt docs (which you should delete you ip address ) Is it possible you could do some screen shots of the sets of config pages on the HG612 like Mr cat did in the WiKi, I'm sure it would help the newbie's.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2015, 03:00:59 PM by tickmike »
I have a set of 6 fixed IP's From  Eclipse  isp.BT ADSL2(G992.3) line>HG612 as a Modem, Bridge, WAN Not Bound to LAN1 or 2 + Also have FTTP (G.984) No One isp Fixed IP >Dual WAN pfSense (Hardware Firewall and routing).> Two WAN's, Ethernet LAN, DMZ LAN, Zyxel GS1100-24 Switch.

mrpops2ko

« Reply #21 on: September 30, 2015, 08:12:02 AM »

Since i've had a massive cockup with BT (they have moved me from fibre of which I was on for 8 months, over to ADSL without my consent and i've now got to wait 2 weeks before they fix it). I set up the HG612 for PPPOE because I like line stats and wanted to keep using it. I'll throw some screenshots of my settings incase anybody else might find them useful.

I basically use the HG612 as a modem and my router does the PPPOE stuff.

Sorry about the big images but i'm lazy. If someone wants to resize them feel free!

That is all you need on the modem side of things and then just do your PPPOE on router.

jch

« Reply #22 on: September 30, 2015, 12:15:58 PM »

I realised I'd forgotten to post my screenshots which were requested by tickmike.
My config is similar to mrpops2ko's, except that I use VCMUX instead of LLCMUX and I've disabled the TR069 interface in case BT sends a firmware update.
All features in the Advanced tab are disabled: NAT, firewall, QOS etc.
Screenshots attached.

tickmike

• Kitizen
  • Yes Another Penguin !. :)
« Reply #23 on: October 01, 2015, 02:21:16 PM »

Those screen shots will be helpful by others.  :)
I have a set of 6 fixed IP's From  Eclipse  isp.BT ADSL2(G992.3) line>HG612 as a Modem, Bridge, WAN Not Bound to LAN1 or 2 + Also have FTTP (G.984) No One isp Fixed IP >Dual WAN pfSense (Hardware Firewall and routing).> Two WAN's, Ethernet LAN, DMZ LAN, Zyxel GS1100-24 Switch.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #24 on: October 01, 2015, 04:34:13 PM »

Those screen shots will be helpful by others.  :)

Indeed, they will. I have (as a result of prompting) given this thread "sticky status".  :)

JSHarris

« Reply #25 on: October 26, 2016, 10:12:06 AM »

Many thanks for this thread, as I'm trying to do pretty much exactly this (use an unlocked HG612 as a temporary ADSL modem/router), but failing!

Currently I have a very slow ADSL connection (1.5km from the exchange, no LLU).  It's a new house, so I flood wired it with Cat 6 and because the walls are all covered with foil backed plasterboard wifi really doesn't work outside any room with a WAP in.  When I had the line installed I blagged an NTE5 Mk3 VDSL box from the Openreach guy, knowing that sooner or later we were going to get FTTC under BDUK.  So, as a temporary measure I bought a TP Link ADSL modem/router and fitted it on the wall 6 inches from the NTE5, with it plugged into a Cat 6 port with a very short  CAT 6/PoE adapter (so the modem router is powered from the house main patch panel, where PoE power injectors are fitted).

The Cat 6 runs to the patch panel and thence to a 12 port Gb switch that distributes data around the house.  This all works very well, although I struggle to get more than about 3Mb DL and 300kb upload, because of the length of wire to the exchange (there's actually about 3km of copper covering that 1.5km distance - rural area and the cables are far from direct!).

We're about to get FTTC, and I've confirmed that I can get it, probably at around 27 Mb DL.  In preparation, I purchased an HG612, thinking I could unlock it, run it as a modem/router in ADSL mode for now, then switch it to VDSL mode when we get FTTC.

Yesterday I unlocked and fitted the HG612, set it as I thought it needed to be set to work for ADSL and as a router, and I can't get it to work.  It seems to lock to the DSL signal OK, but the diagnostic message reports DSL connected but unable to get an IP from PPPoE.

I'm a raw beginner at this, really, and probably know just enough to be dangerous, but that message suggests to me that the modem has connected OK (I entered the right username and password when configuring it) but that the router part may not be working.

I'm guessing that the screenshots above (in the post by jch on September 30 2015) are for the configuration as just a modem, rather than as a modem/router.

FWIW, my current ISP is the PhoneCoop, but I'm not sure who they are buying from.  The username includes "btbroadbandcomplete.com", so they may be buying from BT Wholesale.  They cannot provide an FTTC service, so I'm going to have to switch to another ISP to get that in the next few months.

What I'd like to do is get the HG612 set up as a modem/router now, so the switch to FTTC is (hopefully) relatively painless, with no hardware changes needed.  I'd be very grateful indeed if anyone could shed some light on what settings are needed to get the router part working and allow the existing network to internet gain access via this modem.

Jeremy

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #26 on: October 26, 2016, 10:41:28 AM »

I used to use an HG612 as a modem/router before I got VDSL2. I followed the instructions here (written by burakkucat): http://wiki.kitz.co.uk/index.php/Huawei_HG612
  Eric

JSHarris

« Reply #27 on: October 26, 2016, 10:46:55 AM »

Thanks a lot, those are the instructions I followed yesterday, but I'll double-check and see if I made an error somewhere in the settings.  There are so many settings in the HG612, most of which I have no clue about, that it's possible that I accidentally set something inccorectly.

jch

« Reply #28 on: October 26, 2016, 11:16:16 AM »

I'm guessing that the screenshots above (in the post by jch on September 30 2015) are for the configuration as just a modem, rather than as a modem/router.
That's correct.

FWIW, my current ISP is the PhoneCoop, but I'm not sure who they are buying from.  The username includes "btbroadbandcomplete.com", so they may be buying from BT Wholesale.  They cannot provide an FTTC service, so I'm going to have to switch to another ISP to get that in the next few months.

What I'd like to do is get the HG612 set up as a modem/router now, so the switch to FTTC is (hopefully) relatively painless, with no hardware changes needed.  I'd be very grateful indeed if anyone could shed some light on what settings are needed to get the router part working and allow the existing network to internet gain access via this modem.
I mentioned in my original post that I'd tried to do the same, trying to use the HG612 for PPP. The PPP connection would either fail to establish or would drop after a short while. Another post in this thread suggested the HG612 might not be well tested for use in Router Mode (BT always use it in Bridged Mode) and so I gave up and used Bridged Mode with an external router doing PPPoE. I'm still using that config a year or later and it's been very stable. That said, some have used PPP Router Mode in HG612 with no problems. Maybe it depends on the ISP or the equipment terminating the DSL line. Or maybe I was just unlucky. I use PlusNet.

I suggest re-check your Router Mode settings, enable debug logs and possibly post them here if you still can't get the HG612 PPP to work. If all else fails, you might need to use an external router with the HG612 in Bridged Mode or a different modem. FWIW, the external router I chose was a Ubiquiti Edgerouter ER-Lite, which not only does PPPoE to the ISP via the HG612 modem, it is also the home network's DHCP server and firewall. I think there are newer models now and they're not expensive. Their gear has some nice packet queue features too which help with slow upstream speeds. (If a large upload is in progress trying to use all upstream bandwidth, it doesn't swamp other connections also trying to use the link, causing timeouts etc). My wireless AP runs in Bridge Mode too (its own firewall/DHCP server is disabled) since everything is handled by the ER-Lite. Whatever router you choose, make sure it has GigE eth ports since the rest of your network is GigE and I assume your 12-port GigE switch is unmanaged.

JSHarris

« Reply #29 on: October 26, 2016, 12:52:52 PM »

Thanks very much indeed for all that detail, it's very much appreciated.  I've just been through every setting on the HG612 and it is now setup exactly as in the guide linked to in the post by roseway.  I'm off to the new house in the next hour or so to try it out and see if it now works.

If it still doesn't work well as a router, then I think I'll follow your advice and fit a dedicated router next to the switch and just use the HG612 as a modem, as BT use it.  It's a shame to add another box, though, especially as this whole lot runs from a battery pack, so that the whole system (including a small Linux home server) stays powered up over power cuts (we get a fair few of those, and it's annoying when the internet and VOIP phones stop working!).

You're right, the switch is an unmanaged Gig E one; I've tried to "future proof" the house fixed wiring as far as possible, by running loads of Cat 6 everywhere, including spare runs that are coiled up behind walls where I think I might, possibly, need a connection in future.  So far the strategy of hard wiring most things, and only having WAPs where we actually need to use portable devices, seems to work well, particularly as the WAPs can be turned off when not in use, to save a bit of power, without impacting on anything else.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

anything