Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: unlocked hg612 with ADSL2+ - network stability issues  (Read 84482 times)

jch

unlocked hg612 with ADSL2+ - network stability issues
« on: August 24, 2015, 10:00:20 AM »

Should an unlocked HG612 with SP08 work reliably with ADSL2+? Is it necessary to tweak the DSL config settings? I've disabled btagent.

I'm seeing unreliable network connectivity with my PlusNet ADSL2+ connection. The symptoms are that network traffic stops for a few seconds, sometimes more. For longer periods where network traffic stops, PPP LCP timeouts occur and the modem drops the connection. A ping to the ISP's gateway shows ping times steady until packets get dropped (attached).

I borrowed a Billion 7800 to compare. This works fine. But I notice that the DSL link syncs at a lower speed with the Billion. I compared the xdslcmd outputs (attached). I tried forcing the HG612 SNR to the same value reported by the Billion but link problems still remain.

Just wondering if others use HG612 successfully with ADSL2. Anyone have suggestions for things to try?

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
Re: unlocked hg612 with ADSL2+ - network stability issues
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2015, 10:08:58 AM »

Apologies for being a bit slow, you're using the HG612 as a modem (only)? Or as a modem-router?

jch

« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2015, 10:17:27 AM »

As a modem only. The modem does PPP. Its firewall is disabled but it does NAT. I use a directly connected router/firewall.
Ping from the modem to the ISP's gateway shows the same random packet loss.

konrado5

• Reg Member
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2015, 11:25:45 AM »

Could you attach Hlog and QLN from DSLStats?

GigabitEthernet

• Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2015, 11:55:33 AM »

Does it just drop out randomly or does it happen at certain times of day?

jch

« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2015, 12:16:39 PM »

Could you attach Hlog and QLN from DSLStats?
Hi, outputs of xdslcmd for the above are attached.
Thanks!

jch

« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2015, 12:18:26 PM »

Hi, it seems very random. Sometimes the link can be stable for several hours. At other times, it fails within 15 minutes.

jch

« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2015, 08:49:54 AM »

Hi, it seems very random. Sometimes the link can be stable for several hours. At other times, it fails within 15 minutes.
A bit more info. Attached is the HG612 debug log. It shows how often the link fails and how long it takes to reestablish if I leave the modem alone.
This morning, the downstream SNR is 10.9db and the link rate is much lower than previously. Yesterday, the SNR was around 3.4, which is much different than the 7db that the Billion syncs at and the link rate was above 16Kbps. Today it's this:
Max:   Upstream rate = 1084 Kbps, Downstream rate = 19424 Kbps
Bearer:   0, Upstream rate = 1068 Kbps, Downstream rate = 9722 Kbps
It'll be interesting to see if the link will now be more stable. I'm surprised at the big dip in data rate though.

jch

« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2015, 07:55:38 AM »

Just a quick update in case others find this thread in the future.

At the lower sync speeds, the network stability issues continued. In desperation, I switched the modem to bridged mode, using an external PPPoE client to connect with the ISP. This was stable! It's been up all evening and overnight with no drops and everyone in the house is happy again.

Perhaps the HG612 can't cope with something in my network when the HG612 does PPP or NAT which results in DSL losing sync. It's hard to know as the syslog doesn't say much, even when configured at debug loglevel.

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2015, 09:22:14 AM »

So these devices are crap routers, but good modems. Fair?

This would only be the same as the DLink DSL-320B according to RevK of Andrews and Arnold's reports from their internal testing, which is why they only sell them locked down into modem-only ('bridged') mode.

jch

« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2015, 09:13:29 AM »

So these devices are crap routers, but good modems. Fair?
It seems so. The hardware is quite capable (a typical Broadcom SoC with internal GigE switch). From my experience though, its PPP and/or NAT seem to cause problems.
Since changing my setup to use the modem in a bridged mode, I've had no sync drops whatsoever.
I was hoping to use the unlocked firmware to avoid using PPPoE for the interface between the router (Ubiquiti Edgerouter) and the modem. I've abandoned that plan now. Still, the unlocked firmware lets me turn off the damned LEDs in the modem now the link is stable.  :)

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2015, 09:22:10 AM »

Maybe the huge ourchase by the likes of BT Openreach meant that the optional router functions in the software load never got the usual barrage of user testing, so that's why it might be that only modem-only mode works.

A&A reported bugs in these devices even when in use in modem mode, in that they used to corrupt packets under certain circumstances.

jch

« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2015, 09:57:33 AM »

I'm surprised others haven't reported similar issues with these devices here though - unlocked firmware for hg612 has been around for a while. I probably have the usual mix of phones, tablets, media players, TVs and PCs in the home network. Most are Linux / Android so perhaps that is unusual.

Maybe those who are using unlocked firmware on hg612 are doing so only for access to the DSL stats and DSL tuning params and use the modem in its dumb bridge mode.

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2015, 10:34:33 AM »

Maybe those who are using unlocked firmware on hg612 are doing so only for access to the DSL stats and DSL tuning params and use the modem in its dumb bridge mode.

It seems that's true amongst kitizens?

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #14 on: August 28, 2015, 11:05:29 AM »

When I was on ADSL I used an HG612 as a full modem/router, and it was completely satisfactory. I wasn't the only one - there is even a wiki article about it: http://wiki.kitz.co.uk/index.php/Huawei_HG612 (written before the days of locked firmware).
  Eric
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

anything