Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Webcam help needed.  (Read 13866 times)

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
Re: Webcam help needed.
« Reply #15 on: March 08, 2008, 02:29:27 PM »

Thanks OF,my connection is 1.5mb,would that be ok then for a decent picture.

oldfogy

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
  • If it ain't broke....... I'll soon fix it.
« Reply #16 on: March 08, 2008, 02:48:09 PM »

Yes I don't see why not, but as you have previously experienced I am no expert on these matters.

However when using your webcam, try to keep head and body movement smooth and a little slower than normal.

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #17 on: March 08, 2008, 02:50:47 PM »

Thanks OF.

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #18 on: March 08, 2008, 03:05:03 PM »

And remember that when you're sending webcam pictures to someone else it's your upload speed which matters, not your download speed. If you're on Max with an upload speed of 448 kbps you'll be in the same situation as most other people, and it will be fine so long as you don't expect TV quality.
  Eric

soms

• Reg Member
« Reply #19 on: March 11, 2008, 12:57:51 AM »

Further to OFs reply...

To achieve the full frame rate of a webcam - say 30fps a certain connection speed will be required.

At slower speeds the video cannot be transmitted at the speed that at which it is captured, which leads to much lower frame per second (fps) rate, say 1fps when using a connection such as dial-up, and depending on the video resolution of the webcam and the program being used.

All the same, whilst video may be anything but smooth, it should appear correctly and be fully legible.

valentinejive

• Just arrived
« Reply #20 on: March 12, 2008, 11:14:12 AM »

Hi,as you know my son has moved to Hongkong and I,m after a webcam to use with instant messenger.The choice seems to be mind boggling,I need one thats compatible with vista and only want to spend no more than about £30.Anyone got any recommondations.

I have a a cheap one about 12 quid works ok I have family in Saudi can view them ok try pc world they start at 6 quid there

Valentinejive

mr_chris

• Kitizen
« Reply #21 on: March 16, 2008, 09:21:41 AM »

Did you ever get round to getting / using a webcam, UB? :)
Chris

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #22 on: March 17, 2008, 06:54:45 AM »

Erm,in a nutshell no.I am still looking.Can't make my mind up whether to get a cheapo one with headset for a tenner or get something better quality.My problem is that my hearing is very bad,so I would need a headset with really good sound clarity.My son has a webcam and Skype.At the moment I am keeping in touch with live messenger so its not too bad. :)

scottiesmum

« Reply #23 on: March 17, 2008, 09:01:03 AM »

UncleUB   I bought a cheaper Labtec camera a while ago, bit the reception was not good so after a lot of searching, I decided to buy the Logitech - Webcam - QuickCam Communicate STX (Refresh) - 961464-0310    from Amazon ..... I can assure you that the difference in quality in enormous ... I think in some cases it is true 'you get what you pay for'   I use a headset as well and the sound quality is not a problem at all ..... and I admit (sometimes) that I am a teeny weeny bit deaf  (sometimes !! ;)  )

This Logitech was not the most expensive model, middle of the road really ... but I can recommend it ....    hth     :)

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #24 on: March 17, 2008, 09:09:45 AM »

Thanks for that Kate,I must admit I am leaning towards a logitech one.I have bad hearing in both ears.I have 2 hearing aids but usually I can get away with using one.   :)

scottiesmum

« Reply #25 on: March 17, 2008, 10:11:40 AM »

I'm sure the headset will be fine Unc because you can  control the  degree of sound on them just like you can on your speakers with the 'volume' icon bottom RHS of screen.    :)

mine is very similar to No. 2 

http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_ss_w_h_/202-6562313-5515022?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=Headsets&Go.x=0&Go.y=0&Go=Go
« Last Edit: March 17, 2008, 10:15:00 AM by scottiesmum »

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #26 on: March 17, 2008, 10:20:31 AM »

That looks good,I like the idea of the in line volume control.  :)

scottiesmum

« Reply #27 on: March 17, 2008, 10:35:30 AM »

Unc I think they all do that    ..... my headset is plugged into the same 'socket' as my speakers via a small adapter...........   :)

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #28 on: March 17, 2008, 10:40:17 AM »

My speakers plug in at the back of the tower unit but at the front I have a headphone socket,microphone socket and 2 usb sockets
Pages: 1 [2]