Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Warming to win10  (Read 3470 times)

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
Warming to win10
« on: August 14, 2015, 07:17:45 AM »

I admit I am warming to the OS, just finished installing a bunch of modern apps, they convenient and some live tiles are useful.

I also possibly may have found a way to skip drivers on auto updates but I have no proof of concept of if it works or not, waiting for another story to popup about broken drivers then will see if they occur on my test rig :)  Or I guess I could force uninstall the nvidia drivers to see if windows update tries to reinstall.

Stll using win7 on my main PC and laptop.

AArdvark

• Kitizen
Re: Warming to win10
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2015, 11:22:43 PM »

It is quite nice and probably better than Win 8.x in terms of usability.

BUT ...... far too nosy for me.
I don't trust who gets the information and what it may be used for.
It is all unknown as uses for the data are 'discovered'.
I want privacy as a principal, and can see no 'fair' exchange for giving it away.
Once it has gone you cannot turn back the clock.
I can imagine a future situation similar to the 'Phone Hacking' events of yore and the lawyers having had a field day explaining away the events as 'fair use' as everyone had given their information\privacy away freely.
MS T's & C's are too open wide and can cover any 'negative event' I can think of; in terms of your privacy being freely given away therefore you have no grounds for complaint.

What I fear is the 'future unknown'.
No-one could predict how the Internet has evolved to date and the way it is used/abused.
The same is true for the Win10 situation & how it may be leading the way for other changes inside & outside MS.
These events may encourage other major stake-holders in the Internet as we know it to 'evolve' new ways to tread the privacy boundaries as well.
We know how ideas are 'borrowed' from each other and 'improved'.
What is your privacy worth ?
What would it take for you sell it ?

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2015, 12:00:57 AM »

The privacy issue is annoying but apple and google do the same, its all around us, its one of those things I will look into with more detail prior to shifting my other machines to win10.  I will decide if its worth blocking via the firewall or not the sharing processes.

Basically you want to avoid all "modern" apps, block search from internet access and assess what other services ask for internet use as well.  Obviously also disabling all the call home options as much as possible, many which I suspect will be configured in the task scheduler.

loonylion

• Reg Member
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2015, 01:55:11 AM »

The privacy issue is annoying but apple and google do the same, its all around us, its one of those things I will look into with more detail prior to shifting my other machines to win10.  I will decide if its worth blocking via the firewall or not the sharing processes.

Basically you want to avoid all "modern" apps, block search from internet access and assess what other services ask for internet use as well.  Obviously also disabling all the call home options as much as possible, many which I suspect will be configured in the task scheduler.

according to the ars technica article, turning the options off doesn't stop it.

AArdvark

• Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2015, 03:32:47 AM »

That is one of the Key issues. You have NO control at all!
MS just give you some nice sliders to play with to make you feel 'all better' :)
They may give you some nice flashing lights later to show you all your controls are 'working'.  ;) ;D
Not only is the 'Data' collection hardcoded in, but you don't know what changes can/will be made in the future. (All with your permission, of course (EULA), so no issues there.)
This means that all attempts to block things, now or later, are moot.

N.B.
You cannot block addresses via ...etc/Hosts changes or anything so simple as there are some addresses that are NOT looked up but built in.
(All which can be changed whenever MS sees fit, so working blocks today may not work tomorrow. )

Idea for a possible future scenario based on a surge in 'Data' being blocked or attempts to block:
The obvious thing for MS to do is use 'common' ports and Protocols mixed with 'Complex Port knocking' to signal changes of address and/or port and/or protocol.
Any problems would be 'fixed' by a Dummy Security Update, which cannot be blocked as Win10 runs now, and would be sent if certain 'Data' was not received by MS.
The Dummy Update would change the 'Port Knocking Sequences' and Addresses/Port/Protocols used.
i.e. your blocking strategy worked, so change the rules of the game.:)

Repeated failures to receive data would flag up a lack of Compliance with the EULA, which could allow more draconian actions by MS.

[Apologies, I know I am flogging this to death ..... but someone has to :) ]

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2015, 04:20:04 AM »

it reduces it, you get the rest by disabling tasks and firewalling it off.

end of the day everyone has a free choice so you can choose to not use windows 10 if this issue is too big for you.

Sadly consumers didnt reject google and apple, so the market has shown they dont care enough to reject it.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2015, 04:22:06 AM by Chrysalis »