Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Problem with strange link being sent to my contacts  (Read 2323 times)

Shaft

Problem with strange link being sent to my contacts
« on: August 06, 2015, 02:36:02 PM »

Hi,
been having some sort of prob with my contacts receiving an email with a link to this site: http://bit.ly/1K3Qu2G and //t,co/ and //goo,gl/.   The end after the final / has various numbers and letters but they all lead to a site promoting a weight loss site.
I have run malwarebytes and zone alarm scans with nothing showing.

My grandson thought it might be to do with my facebook page and advised me to change my password, which I have done and I also changed the password for my email which I did both today am.
Have I done enough? Any help would be appreciated.

Rob

licquorice

• Reg Member
Re: Problem with strange link being sent to my contacts
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2015, 04:54:19 PM »

Unfortunately if your email account has been hacked, anything you do now is shutting the stable door after the horse has bolted. If the hackers have harvested your contacts list, they can spoof your email address and send at will to your contacts as if coming from you for as long as they like. All you can do is warn your contacts to be careful. You can't unsteal something that has been stolen.

AArdvark

• Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2015, 10:46:41 AM »

Hi,
been having some sort of prob with my contacts receiving an email with a link to this site: http://bit.ly/1K3Qu2G and //t,co/ and //goo,gl/.   The end after the final / has various numbers and letters but they all lead to a site promoting a weight loss site.
I have run malwarebytes and zone alarm scans with nothing showing.

My grandson thought it might be to do with my facebook page and advised me to change my password, which I have done and I also changed the password for my email which I did both today am.
Have I done enough? Any help would be appreciated.

Rob

Worse case you can change your email address.
When you advise all your contacts of the change, they can block/ignore the old one.
This is a pain but doable in exstremis.
Sorry for the less than easy solution.

Sent from my LG-D855 using Tapatalk

Dray

• Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2015, 02:07:46 PM »

Is this from a Hotmail addresss?

anything