Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: AVG Zen  (Read 3700 times)

Jgun

AVG Zen
« on: August 02, 2015, 02:55:38 PM »

Whilst restoring my AVG anti virus after downloading W/S 10 I accidently clicked on AVG Zen. I realised my mistake & downloaded AVG 2015
This was ok but I now find that AVG Zen continued to download despite the fact that I cancelled it.
When I attempted to uninstall the programme I was told that I couldn't do so without first removing AVG 2015 which, of course I don't want to do.Can anyone help please?.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
Re: AVG Zen
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2015, 03:46:28 PM »

Im afraid I dont know as I dont use AVG - but theres an uninstall guide which may help.

I hear what you are saying re first removing AVG, but because AVG appears to be tightly integrated with AVG Zen you may have to do it in that order and then re-install the component you want.  Symantec used to do similar with their suite, in that you had to clear out the whole lot in order to start again with just NAV. :(

I take it that you have tried making sure that no AVG processes are running before attempting to run the AVGZen uninstaller?
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2015, 07:22:38 PM »

Use System Restore to roll back to the point before the download?

Jgun

« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2015, 02:13:12 PM »

Thank you for your replies. It looks as though I have to remove the lot & start again. Using System Restore would do this anyway as Zen downloaded before AVG 2015. Nothings simple is it?
Thanks anyway.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2015, 10:56:03 AM »

Sorry we weren't able to help further and give the answer you really wanted, but good luck with starting again from afresh :)
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

Bowdon

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2015, 12:44:30 AM »

I remember when I was removing AVG to move to Avast, I had to go to AVG's website and they had special removal programs that removed any lingering components after an uninstall. So it's probably a good idea to look for them too during the uninstall process.
BT Full Fibre 500 - Smart Hub 2

AArdvark

• Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2015, 12:54:40 AM »

@Bowdon
Really good point.

Many of the more aggressive AV producers do/did the same.
(Modeled on Norton & Kaspersky which used to be a real 'Bar steward' to remove fully.  ;D )

I also use Avast which has been good and has not caused any conflicts/crashes in all the years I have been using it. (Fates are *now* on standby)  ;D